What Have You Done To Your House Today?

Still waiting on Chase bank to refinance ours, so that we can have some $ for a fence that we're gonna install ourselves instead of paying someone to do. . .should be fun (not)

I didn't *do* anything to my house yet, but I finished negotiations on my first home this past Friday!

3bed/2.5bath, unfinished basement, screened-in rear porch. Here are some pictures from the original listing. We close on the place May 15th.

HR7007838_0.jpg

HR7007838_7_0.jpg

HR7007838_8_0.jpg

HR7007838_1_0.jpg

HR7007838_3_0.jpg

HR7007838_4_0.jpg

Congrats McKraut!

Now, progress and pictures!

SUNDAY
Ok, so in this picture, the lower half of the drywall was already removed by the drywall guys, and I've already taken down one wall, where the metal studs can be seen going into the bottom left of the picture.

502399145_9sHFg-L.jpg

This was the source of all our trouble, and all our mold: the poorly installed bathroom. The thing on the floor is the sewage holding tank, with the back part being the pump. That's all going out as soon as I can get the plumber to to show up and disconnect/cap off all the pipes. We're not planning to put a bathroom back in the basement anytime soon.
502399507_uZKfi-L.jpg

Here's the debris pile after I took out the rest of the unnecessary wall:
502399797_gzTFN-L.jpg

502400039_YNZU6-L.jpg

502400402_7LBc5-L.jpg

MONDAY

So ^ that's what it all looked like when I got to the house this morning. My father came by to help me with the clean up and repair work over the next couple of days. After 400 trips up the stairs and two loaded trips to the dump, the basement now looks like this:
502400483_ynFsU-L.jpg

502400579_c8XoG-L.jpg

I'm pretty excited about what we've gotten done! Tomorrow we insulate and start hanging drywall!

very nice.....I used to do part time grunt work for a house/apartment remodel company and it's such a PITA to get debris out of a basement, haha

Subbing & adding because this thread is uber cool.

Since the house is practically brand new & it's not ours (uncle Sam), we really can't do anything insane to the floor plan ala Eric. ;)
Plus, we still don't have all our furniture from Turkey yet...all we have is our sectional sofa and the queen bed upstairs. Our belongings should be here around mid-month, so hopefully then we can really start to decorate. Currently the most decorated space is the garage, because I had most of my stuff from the old garage in storage.
Pics and more pics to come later...

My dad just installed some bamboo hardwood flooring and it looks sweet. I'll take some pics. And also I am going to start doing some painting in the townhome. Fixing some of the landscape as well. May also put down some bamboo flooring at my place but it will be on top of concrete and will be liquid nailed glued instead of nailed obviously. I love spring!

Me and the wife bought our first house in July about a month before we got married. We got a great deal on it. 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath, 2 Car Garage. 1650sqft, Got it for $99,000, they were asking $110,000 and the house appraised for $119,000. The previous owner werent the greatest home caretakers so weve been redoing alot of their mistakes. They were also colorblind I guess, i didnt take apicture of it because its a mess but the master bath is painted like a rose pink color and what my dad so lovingly calls baby puke brown. On to the pics.....

house1.jpg

The first project (since it was the smallest lol) was the guest bathroom, i dont have a before pic but imagine the cabinets a very worn and faded light brown stain, red light fixture, a pink-ish colored shower curtain and i dont know what they got all over the countertop and shower but it took a dremel and soft scrub to polish off, eventually the counter top will be replaced and the shower will be replaced as well since its just a urethane shell.

guestbathroom.jpg

This weekends project is going to moving some shrubbery (icky icky patang) and building a floor for the front porch. We'll be removing the plants, hose reel, hose, adt sign, and that ugly looking shrub and putting down 12"x12" decrotive paver blocks in that area from the sidewalk up to the bay window and putting an arbor above it in order to have a little more front porch space. We have friends over alot and alot of them smoke so it would be nice to have a spot outside to hang out.

soontobeporch.jpg

BTW, does anyone know what kind of plant that is to the right near the hose reel?

The next project will be building a shed in the backyard so i can get some of that crap out of the garage and actually fit two cars in the garage, its a royal mess right now due to all the clutter and ive been rebuilding my ATV to sell it. Plans for the garage are currently as follows...

-Epoxy Seal Garage Floor
-Repaint all floors and ceiling
-Rehang light fixtures
-Install garage door insulation
-Build a workbench
-Install peg boards and cabinets

garage1.jpg

We love it, we got it at an awesome time and price in the market, we are both going to OSU-OKC for now for our assoc's degree in police sciences then we plan on transfering to either univ of north texas or one of the univ of florida or florida state to finish out our degrees, so we should be able to make a little profit off the house when we move which will be awesome considering both housing markets are considerably higher than here.

Thats the type of couch we have been looking at, a local furniture store has a dark gray microfiber sectional with a black metal and glass coffee and end table set for like $850 delivered, probably the way we are going to go. And its made by Lane so its good shtuff.

******* freaked out when I got home and the new turbine on my new roof had blown off the roof and landed right where my car would be parked if it were at home.

Thats the type of couch we have been looking at, a local furniture store has a dark gray microfiber sectional with a black metal and glass coffee and end table set for like $850 delivered, probably the way we are going to go. And its made by Lane so its good shtuff.
Microfiber is awesome!

More to come...

Yesterday, my dad and I put up insulation and started hanging drywall. We used the "mold resistant" green board, as $3 a sheet seemed like cheap insurance when we were only buying about 20 sheets.
504303168_Ji3no-M.jpg

We left this section undone so that I could wire it for surround sound. This is going to be the TV area. The sump pump also got replaced that day, but I left it up to the professionals.
504303242_Uqaxi-M.jpg

Later in the day, I got real brave, and pulled all the plumbing out of the bathroom, sewage tank, pump and lines included. Once that was out, I got busy with the supply lines. The evil bathroom has been eradicated! :D
504303292_pQESi-M.jpg

504303348_8Loek-M.jpg

Here's all the copper I pulled out Saws-alls are amazing things!!
504303403_EUFuH-M.jpg

Today my father-in-law came over, we did some measuring, and wired up the surround sound in the TV corner. In the process, we went out for supplies and found some great light fixtures for the basement, including a very modern, very cool hanging fixture for over the pool table. We also ran around the house filling nail and screw holes in the walls so paint can begin.

Tomorrow, I have to go to work for a while to receive a delivery, but as soon as that's done, I'll go right back to my house to finish tearing out the last few things from the bathroom so I can finish insulating and get to work on the drywall. The exterminator is coming to take care of our mice and ant problems, we're expecting a general contractor to come take care of the roofing issues and we might be getting our furnace, AC, and hot water heater.

We're trying to move in a week from tomorrow! We may be insane.

Last edited:
Awesome "build" Eric!

Here's some pics of our place....bare in mind...it's still bare bones...as we still don't have our stuff yet.
living%20room%203.JPG

living%20room%202.JPG

bar%20%26%20kitchen%202.JPG

bar%20%26%20kitchen.JPG

bar%20%26%20kitchen%203.JPG

hallway%20to%20front.JPG

Ignore the old couch...that was from my bachelor/roommate days...on Monday, it gets picked up by the garbage guys...Once we get our dining room set, this is where it'll be.
dining%20room.JPG

stairs.JPG

stairs%20down.JPG

bathroom%202.JPG

bedroom%201.JPG

DSC04086.JPG

p5%20garage3.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back