What Have You Done To Your House Today?

Does the ground get soft enough after a good rain to dig? Maybe run the sprinkler on the area for a couple evenings to soften the dirt up before you dig.

Maybe. I had good luck with watering down the ground for digging on Thursday. All my utilities (Phone, power, Cable, Television) run wires through that side yard, further complicating things. I hit one on Wednesday, all of 4 INCHES below the surface! Luckily, I didn't cut into it with the shovel!

The trench/gravel/pipe solution would probably help a lot, but I don't know if I can make it work here.

do you have a "miss utility" in your state? they should come out and mark those underground lines for ya so you can avoid them. 4 inches below the ground seems pretty shallow, is that code?

also, consider renting a ditch-witch to do the digging.

No ditch witch if you have lines underground. Some lines can be directly under the sod(ie, cable, phone) other lines should be atleast 18 inches down depending on soil quality/density and amount of graded soil brought in.

Have a locator come out to mark your lines. Be conservative, 18 inches to either side of the marking as they are not always correct. Once the lines are uncovered and the trench is dug you should be able to put the pipe in. You may need to lay sections of the pipe in at a time and then use couplers to attach them to each other.

had to bring this back from the dead, wife wanted to use the computer room for something different. its not done just yet she still wants to add stuff, but she got her walkin that she has been after.

Attachments

• DSCN2520.JPG
    DSCN2520.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN2521.JPG
    DSCN2521.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN2522.JPG
    DSCN2522.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
here's what i did to my house 2day.

My Christmas lights outside.

h8rg4.jpg

My Christmas tree...............yay

h10di4.jpg

I moved my computer from the kitchen..............

h6xz8.jpg

To the 4th spare bedroom.............

h2fg7.jpg

The bedroom where the CPU is now at I'm going to make it a theater/play room.

Here's a pic of my Living room.

h9xk2.jpg

A pic of my walkway to the bedrooms.

h15va8.jpg

A pic of the other 2 bedrooms.............

h14qg9.jpg

A pic of my kitchen..................

h5av2.jpg

h4at0.jpg

I put in an offer on a house here in NoVA Sunday night.

We're hoping for the best, but the sellers' agent is playing games. grrrrrrrrr

Also looking at buying my first home...interviewed a buyers agent tonight. I've already found the house I'm interested in. I'm already getting nervous about the whole thing. Any advice for a first time buyer?

Ask around among friends/family to find an agent you're comfortable with. The process can be confusing as hell, so it's important to have an agent who knows what they're doing and who takes the time to explain it to you.

This will be our 4th house in the 7 years we've been married!

Good luck with the house shopping Fellas...Keep us updated! :D

The Lady Friend & I bought our first place last month...A brand new condo and we got a great deal...We've got the basics in but still need to finish the details (custom curtains, proper bed etc).

I managed to finally get my dream tv...A 50" Pioneer Kuro and it's beautiful!

I'm also glad my Cosmo has its own safe & secure parking spot...(thumb)

We're getting our house refinanced, got a call from an apraiser last night. Trying to get out of debt and add a fence/shed to the back yard so the dogs can run around loose (and get all that stuff out of my garage finally!)

We bought our first place right before we got married. It was nice, but small.

A year and 1/2 later, we were just out driving around with the top down in the Miata, and found an Open House going on in a neighborhood one of our friends had a townhouse in. It was the same floorplan as hers, it had great space for us, and we decided to buy it, even though we hadn't at all planned to move!

We were in that townhouse for 2 1/2 years until we moved to GA for Dru to go to law school. We knew we'd only be there for the 3 years of law school, but we managed to sell it at the end of our time there for just $5000 less than we bought it for, so we did way better than we would have paying 3 years of rent.

Now we're back. We've been crammed in an apartment since May, and we're finally going to get out of here!

:D The offer was accepted today! :D :D :D

Last edited:
2 months later, we finally closed on the house yesterday!

It had all kinds of problems at home inspection, including mold, but we're all set now, after having the mold (and half of the basement walls) removed by professionals.

Last night I put new locks on the doors, today I get to start demo in the basement, to get out the walls we don't want. Later in the week, I should be putting up drywall and having contractors in to fix the problems with the roof, furnace/AC and the water heater.

It's going to cost some more money and take some time to get it ready, but it's a sweet house! Here it is:

499605539_3bz9A-M.jpg

^^^Looks pretty nice! good deal

update: well i found a house that I'm interested in and its a short sale. I have an accepted offer from the owner but I'm waiting to hear form the bank. Its been about a month since i submitted the offer to the bank and it could be another 30-40 days before I hear anything. What a process this whole thing is!

Short sales suck! Ours had supposedly been approved before, and was supposed to only take a week or two to get approved again, and it was nearly two months until we closed.

I've heard of many short sales taking 6 months or more to get the answer from the bank. If you're in no hurry to move, you can get a great deal though!

We did some spring cleaning today. I cleaned out the garage: broke down boxes, swept the floor, cleaned off the work bench, hung up my Mazda banner and my busted up oil pan.

pic 1: the bench. check out my cool "Mazdaspeed" toolbox
pic 2: Maisy helping me out

Attachments

• IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
2 months later, we finally closed on the house yesterday!

It had all kinds of problems at home inspection, including mold, but we're all set now, after having the mold (and half of the basement walls) removed by professionals.

Last night I put new locks on the doors, today I get to start demo in the basement, to get out the walls we don't want. Later in the week, I should be putting up drywall and having contractors in to fix the problems with the roof, furnace/AC and the water heater.

It's going to cost some more money and take some time to get it ready, but it's a sweet house! Here it is:

499605539_3bz9A-M.jpg

What a pretty house Eric! Congratulations! :)

Back