What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Factory cargo cover arrived. I found it online for much less than the dealer price. Though I didn't realize it'd be angled when the trunk is closed. And I'm a little worried about the clips that hold it to the hatch.

Please excuse the shopping bags.
20230906_184627.jpg

I'm tempted to add the factory bumper protector. Though I'm not sure how well it will look in real life verses the pictures.

I'm tempted to add the factory bumper protector. Though I'm not sure how well it will look in real life verses the pictures.

A bumper protector (or some sort of clear paint protection film) is definitely a good idea. I wish I had added one to my CX-9.

I prefer the way the CX-5's cargo cover is installed. I don't like having to retract and reset mine whenever I want something out of the trunk, which is why mine is stored in the closet, not being used.

I prefer the way the CX-5's cargo cover is installed. I don't like having to retract and reset mine whenever I want something out of the trunk, which is why mine is stored in the closet, not being used.
So the OEM cargo cover on CX-9 operates differently than the one on the CX-5?

The factory cargo cover comes with the car on my daughter’s Toyota Corolla Hatchback is also stored in the closet, not being used but for different reason. In the Bay Area NorCal you don’t want to cover your cargo area trying to hide something in there when you park the car on the road side. People often will break your window and “check the cargo out” to see if you have any valuable items hiding underneath. Yes my daughter learned the lesson the hard way!

Factory cargo cover arrived. I found it online for much less than the dealer price. Though I didn't realize it'd be angled when the trunk is closed. And I'm a little worried about the clips that hold it to the hatch.

Please excuse the shopping bags.
View attachment 322130

I would skip the factory one. I put one and not impressed I put it on some time in March of this year and it has discolored. Looked when I first installed it tho :) I wish I would have went with some clear Xpel film instead.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 63
I would skip the factory one. I put one and not impressed I put it on some time in March of this year and it has discolored. Looked when I first installed it tho :) I wish I would have went with some clear Xpel film instead.
Now that's a bummer. I'll ask and see how much it is for a clear film from the shop that did my tints. Though you saved me from impulsively buying it!

Now that's a bummer. I'll ask and see how much it is for a clear film from the shop that did my tints. Though you saved me from impulsively buying it!
you can order Xpel from Amazon. I did my own door sills and they have been great. super easy to install and if I was not worried about the paint getting pulled off I would probably remove the oem one and just install some myself.
IMG_3505.jpg

So the OEM cargo cover on CX-9 operates differently than the one on the CX-5?

The factory cargo cover comes with the car on my daughter’s Toyota Corolla Hatchback is also stored in the closet, not being used but for different reason. In the Bay Area NorCal you don’t want to cover your cargo area trying to hide something in there when you park the car on the road side. People often will break your window and “check the cargo out” to see if you have any valuable items hiding underneath. Yes my daughter learned the lesson the hard way!

Yes, on the CX-9, if you get the cargo cover, the grocery hooks on either side of the cargo area, just above the small cubby areas must be removed. They are replaced with "receivers" for the cargo cover, and the cover hooks into these receivers when in use. Here's a pic of one of the receivers.

20230907_145411.jpg

Yes I'm very familiar with the situation in the Bay Area unfortunately. We went there for a wedding some years ago. As soon as we landed and got our rental, instead of going to the hotel to unload our luggage, we went to Fisherman's Wharf. Parked on a side street that was apparently a hotspot for break-ins and left our car full of luggage, passports, devices, etc. We came back to a shattered back window and a missing backpack. Thankfully someone found and returned my friend's backpack to a nearby police station, and the only thing that was missing was an iPad. Definitely won't make that mistake again! And yes, one more reason not to use the cargo cover. At least if they can see into the trunk, they'll hopefully see that there's nothing of value to take.

I finally installed my dashcam after waiting for the homelink adapter from MX5Things. Usually everyone recommends Dongar. However, I wanted to use a Thinkware camera, which MX5Things allows.
Screenshot_20230812_112541_Chrome.jpg

Once it arrived, I tried installing it on the white connector behind the the radar cover, only to discover that it doesn't work. When I researched for homelink adapters, Dongar sells two different ones based on the mirror. When a few people mentioned that their framed homelink mirrors used the same adapters as the frameless one, I think it's this connector behind the radar cover.
20230819_154850.jpg

The framed style that both Dongar and MX5Things sell is based on the connector behind the mirror itself.

20230813_232930.jpg

While the adapter from MX5Things says it's for the MX-5 and CX-5, it clearly prioritizes the former. The cable just works on the CX-5. If you're using a USB-powered camera, the length should be fine. However, since this adapter is meant for a Thinkware camera, it's too short. This caused me to use the radar cover as a mounting point.
20230909_183332.jpg

At first, I thought it would work, only to discover that thr cover isn't flat. As a result, the camera is tilted. Based on the footage, it's not ideal, but just tolerable. Had I hardwired the camera, I may have not encountered such a problem.
20230909_183403.jpg

Today, I’ve drove to two different shops to have the belt tensioner and belt replaced. first shop made me wait 30 minutes for a quote on labor, I got impatient so I left to a different shop and they wouldn’t do I because I had my own parts, I asked why they wouldn’t do it, he replied, they need to make money. So I left to head home. I was lazy so wanted a shop to do it But did it myself later. Watched a YouTube video and replaced the tensioner pulley and serpentine belt myself. Later the first shopped called me telling me the quote after I’ve already finished and showered. he quoted me $300 for labor, well guess I saved $300 today. While I was underneath, I’ve noticed the passenger side end link boot was busted and replaced that also. Luckily I had two new end links I ordered months ago. Also the clunking noises either reduced a lot or stopped. Ima replace the driver side end link next time I’m off work.this was all done on the great 2016.5 CX-5😁

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpeg
    IMG_5316.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5315.jpeg
    IMG_5315.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5313.jpeg
    IMG_5313.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5314.jpeg
    IMG_5314.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 47
Today, I’ve drove to two different shops to have the belt tensioner and belt replaced. first shop made me wait 30 minutes for a quote on labor, I got impatient so I left to a different shop and they wouldn’t do I because I had my own parts, I asked why they wouldn’t do it, he replied, they need to make money. So I left to head home. I was lazy so wanted a shop to do it But did it myself later. Watched a YouTube video and replaced the tensioner pulley and serpentine belt myself. Later the first shopped called me telling me the quote after I’ve already finished and showered. he quoted me $300 for labor, well guess I saved $300 today. While I was underneath, I’ve noticed the passenger side end link boot was busted and replaced that also. Luckily I had two new end links I ordered months ago. Also the clunking noises either reduced a lot or stopped. Ima replace the driver side end link next time I’m off work.this was all done on the great 2016.5 CX-5😁
What is the mileage if your great 2016.5 CX-5? Did you replace the water pump belt? Did you use OEM serpentine belt、tensioner、and stabilizer end links or some aftermarket parts?

Cleaned/polished the headlights. Don't know if I rushed the last time I did it or what but they were in bad shape. Look much better now. I did buy a new Meguiar's kit which may have helped (the old one had a few years on it).

This is overkill, but I went ahead and replaced the original license plate screws with titanium torx screws for security.

Before:
20230921_172519.jpg

After:
20230921_174824.jpg

Unfortunately, Missouri is a two-plate state. I need to figure out what to do for the front.

And I'm not sure what to do about this...
20230921_172643.jpg

So 3 days later, after getting the CX5 S2019, I now have remote start with LTE. I was done in less than 10 mins or so.

A little back story, I removed the Fortin Evo One with the Linkr LT2 from the Odyssey. I had to get the harness for the Mazda (THAR-ONE-MAZ3). While waiting for that to arrive, I did a master reset and set up the Evo One.

This was the fastest install ever, disconnect the negative cable, remove the lower steering wheel cover, connect the harness. Connect the negative cable back then plug in the Evo One. Then did the decryptor (for the key), plugged it back in. Tested. Then plugged in the Linkr LT2, tested. Done.

Attachments

• 20230922_194533.jpg
    20230922_194533.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230922_201209.jpg
    20230922_201209.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230922_201324.jpg
    20230922_201324.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 38
A little back story, I removed the Fortin Evo One with the Linkr LT2 from the Odyssey. I had to get the harness for the Mazda (THAR-ONE-MAZ3). While waiting for that to arrive, I did a master reset and set up the Evo One.
Did you know that you can also connect the car alarm wire from the Fortin into the horn connection pin, and voila, you have a working car alarm for free?

Did you know that you can also connect the car alarm wire from the Fortin into the horn connection pin, and voila, you have a working car alarm for free?
Or.... spend 50$ for true 100% plug and play harness. I didn't have to connect the horn or parking light wire.

That's a pretty nice tip to know, especially if it works without any ill side effects.

Back