What have you done to your CX-5 today?

⋯ Am I imagining things, or did I really improve things that much getting rid of the old dirty air filter?
Yeah I have the same feeling each time I put a new air filter in. Depending on how dirty your old filter is, most likely it's our imagination! ;) The best you can see may be 0.5 mpg increase on fuel consumption.

BTW, what kind of air filter did you get?

Yeah I have the same feeling each time I put a new air filter in. Depending on how dirty your old filter is, most likely it's our imagination! ;) The best you can see may be 0.5 mpg increase on fuel consumption.

BTW, what kind of air filter did you get?

This one on Amazon. Looks exactly like the old one that I took out (albeit clean obviously..)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Edit: And the old one was very dirty.

Last edited:
Yeah...1000km checkup? (uhm)

Anyway, replaced my engine air filter this morning before I headed to the office. Noticed the old one was pretty dirty, I suspect since I stopped getting service at the dealer that it probably went longer than it should have by a lot. Right off the bat I could tell a huge difference. Power out the gate was improved (no lag), but also the engine had much more of a low growl tone to it when I gunned it.

Am I imagining things, or did I really improve things that much getting rid of the old dirty air filter?

No absolutely not. If you restrict the air you change the fuel air mixture ratio. That would result in it running rich or the engine management trying to “deal with it” with internal adjustments. For the price of a new filter, you save quite a lot of fuel too. I would say definitely not a placebo effect. Stick a towel in your mouth and run round the block - see how you get on ;-).

Lol at stick a towel in your mouth. I agree that could have a noticeable effect if it's real dirty.

Oh and by the way, have you looked at your cabin filter lately?
Lol! Yeah replaced it about 5k miles ago back in March.

And yeah, it was pretty dirty. I'm pretty sure I've only ever had it replaced once in the life of my CX-5. I'm at 67k miles now. Not sure how often you replace these, but I suspect I will be replacing them more often now.

As for around the block, aside from my worn tires which noticeably slipped today, it ran awesome!

Last edited:
⋯ And yeah, it was pretty dirty.
Be careful. You may have carbon air filter which looks dirty even if its new.

Some people here reuse the cabin filter after its washed. I guess engine needs better air than human ⋯ (boom07)

Be careful. You may have carbon air filter which looks dirty even if it’s new.

Some people here reuse the cabin filter after it’s washed. I guess engine needs better air than human ⋯ (boom07)

If you are referring to the cabin air filter, not the engine air filter, I am aware. My new cabin air filter I replaced 5k miles ago is a carbon one. This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned).

The engine air filter was the one I called dirty. Did not appear to be carbon. Not sure why an engine would need a carbon filter.

As for washing filters...gross. You may be able to wash the big stuff and dirt out, but I'd imagine there to be other small particulates, germs, other crap that gets in there. I'd rather just replace it with a new filter. They are at or less than $10.

Last edited:
So I installed aftermarket LED tail lights on my CX-5. I know this will not be attractive to some members, but our stock (non led ) tailights are super boring to look at. Product is made in CHINA since the Japanese versions cost a life savings to have it shipped to the states! Let me know what you guys think!

2gvsn7k.jpg

2enoy12.jpg

Last edited:
Since when is that a thing?

Yeah...1000km checkup? (uhm)

Anyway, replaced my engine air filter this morning before I headed to the office. Noticed the old one was pretty dirty, I suspect since I stopped getting service at the dealer that it probably went longer than it should have by a lot. Right off the bat I could tell a huge difference. Power out the gate was improved (no lag), but also the engine had much more of a low growl tone to it when I gunned it.

Am I imagining things, or did I really improve things that much getting rid of the old dirty air filter?

Mazda requirement here. Was the same for my previous Mazda 6

Following was done free of charge:

• Inspected Engine Cooling System
  • Inspected Body Electrical System
  • Inspected Brake Line, Hoses And Connections
  • Inspected Engine Drive Belts
  • Inspected Vehicle Brake Fluid
  • InspectedAutomatic Transmission Fluid
  • Tighten Bolts & Nuts On Chassis & Body
  • Inspected The Vehicle Park Brake
  • Inspected Suspension Components And Wheel Bearings
  • Inspected Vehicle Tyre Pressures Including Spare
  • Inspected Fuel Lines And Hoses
  • Checked Oil Levels
  • Inspected Vehicle Steering System
  • Road Tested Vehicle
  • Complimentary Car Wash & Vacuum

Last edited:
So I installed aftermarket LED tail lights on my CX-5. I know this will not be attractive to some members, but our stock (non led ) tailights are super boring to look at. Product is made in CHINA since the Japanese versions cost a life savings to have it shipped to the states! Let me know what you guys think!

2gvsn7k.jpg

2enoy12.jpg

Looking good! Any video showing them in action (uhm)

plastidipped the rear badges. i think i want to redo it this weekend. the "CX5" side for sure doesn't look so good up close.

MYlqoJb.jpg

Was watching CX-5 clip online and found this little badge under the CX-5....:

2mqvvxt.jpg

Different badges done by different country's Mazda HQ's

Back