Wax or polish?

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
I was about to wax my car yesterday when a buddy of mine said I shouldn't do it. He says that I should polish it instead.....something about wax taking paint off new cars. The problem is my buddy sometimes doesn't know what the heck he's talking about and I just have to nod my head. But now I am wondering what to do. So I come before the all-knowing forum.........what to yall do?

Yeah that's kind of dumb. Polish is a very light abrasive...so if anything POLISH would strip off the clearcoat. But you would probably have to polish it every day for a year for that to happen.

Yup, your buddy got it bass ackwards. Wax is nothing but a protecting layer. Polish actually cuts into the paint to blend minor imperfections.
The order goes Wash, Dry, Polish, Wax. ;) If you have a new car, I don't see any reason to polish it yet, unless you see swirl marks or something.

I believe the paint on the P5's are a one step paint. Apparently we should use caution when polishing. And don't be surprised when you're polishing and your cloth goes the same colour as your car.

Natey said:
Yup, your buddy got it bass ackwards. Wax is nothing but a protecting layer. Polish actually cuts into the paint to blend minor imperfections.
The order goes Wash, Dry, Polish, Wax. ;) If you have a new car, I don't see any reason to polish it yet, unless you see swirl marks or something.
Exactly! The Meguiar's 3 Step System is a good way to go. AutoZone sells it.

#1 Cleaner
#2 Polish
#3 Wax (you can substitute Meguiar's Gold Class Wax for a step up!)

There are lots of good options. But; you will never go wrong with Meguiar's products.

Last edited:
an auto polish, polish cost so much more then any meguiars (no good). zymol awesome and mothers even better but a true auto polish should be apply after wax to insure the cleaness and get the mirror-shine we all love in our hot-rods. Also theres an even better polish comes in a paint remover style cant remeber the name ill check out next time im at the store.

Washed the car yesterday...........today its covered in pollen (is that spelled correctly?). I've usually used Turtle wax EXTREME on my explorer so I planned on using it on the pr5. Now I'll have to wait and read about Meguiars.

Yes I'm very happy with the Meguiar's 3 step system. It's a lot of work to do the entire thing (takes all day if done properly). But it's worth it.

My car looks orange with all the pollen on it. Only use the polish to renew your paints color and remove swirls, or if you are going to a show. Just wash and wax it and you will be pleased.

AGR said:
Exactly! The Meguiar's 3 Step System is a good way to go. AutoZone sells it.

#1 Cleaner
#2 Polish
#3 Wax (you can substitute Meguiar's Gold Class Wax for a step up!)

You will never go wrong with Meguiar's products.

I've used this system on my last three cars, all with excellent results. I do the full system every 4-6 months, the wax about once a month, and a wash at least every weekend.

After buying my used Pathfinder (60,000 miles) I used this before my father in law came into town. I had to show him the odometor to prove to him it wasn't a brand new car.

The only thing you need to know with this is to have plenty of dry clean cotten cloths. Meguires wax likes to streak/swirl if you put too much on or don't wipe enough off. And give yourself enough time, the full system is at least a 3.5 hour job.

davco said:
Washed the car yesterday...........today its covered in pollen (is that spelled correctly?). I've usually used Turtle wax EXTREME on my explorer so I planned on using it on the pr5. Now I'll have to wait and read about Meguiars.
Yikes! (attn) Do your car a favor -- don't use anything made by Turtle Wax on it! Maguiars products all the way, man!

What do others think about Turtle Wax?

I like to remove the cleaner, polish, and wax with Micro Fiber towels. These are what I use. Great value, too!!

http://www.vaporcleanproducts.com/microfiber.htm

Oh!!!! AND; NEVER DRY YOUR CAR TOWELS IN THE DRYER WITH DRYER SHEETS (OR ANY FABRIC SOFTENER)!!!!

DRYER SHEETS (FABRIC SOFTENERS) ARE BAD FOR YOUR CAR TOWELS, AND YOUR PAINT SURFACE!!!

read this thread...
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20728&highlight=PLATINUM

A few excerpts from last Summer...
Washing my 'Speed... (and Protege ES)
Always in the shade....I use water with Meguiar's Gold Class wash (or Blue Coral wash), a large sponge. I use the California Water Blade for initial drying; then a chamois. NO TOWELS*. Towels cause swirls / scratches.

*However; I have just ordered some 'Micro Fiber' towels which cannot harm the paint, and are actually supposed to be quite excellent.

Between washes (if it doesn't rain), I use the California Duster in the mornings before I leave.

For the dash, I use the California Dash Duster.
On the tires: Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel.

Towels will indeed scratch the surface (swirls, etc...). So; you must be careful with the kind of towels you use. These Micro Fiber Towels will not even scratch the surface of a compact disc. They are quite good. There are others available as well. From Meguiar's, Premium Auto Care (www.premiumautocare.com), etc... The Vapor Product line is less money, and apparently the same towel. Great product, and a great price!

Some people, for washing, prefer a sponge, some prefer a mit. You just need to see what works best for you. I currently use a sponge; but, I am always keeping it soaked with water.

Something else; very important!! 'Never' dry your car cleaning / polishing towels with a fabric softener, or dryer sheets. This will cause scratches. I wash with a mild detergent, and I wash all of my car towels alone. I dry them on very low heat, and you can remove them even a bit damp to air dry.

Remember: What can't be seen on other color cars, sure as hell can be seen on BLACK!! You may get away with using a plain old towel on a white, silver, etc... colored car; but try it on a Black car, and your screwed. Everything shows!

READ BELOW! In reference to last weekend's detailing of my car.

I washed my car on Friday evening to prepare for yesterday's application, and yes; I did have some damn swirls. These swirls first appeared, I think, a few weeks ago when I washed my car, then decided to Meguiar's Quik Detail the entire car using my 100% Cotton Flannel towels that I bought at Wal-Mart when I first applied the Meguiar's 3 Step System. In my garage, it looked awesome; then when I got it in the sunlight - oh s***!

I'm not sure, but Joe seems to think it was possibly caused because I had used dryer sheets when I washed these yellow flannel towels (learn something new everyday). So now; I never use dryer sheets with any of my car towels, etc...

Obviously using the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher was a Godsend. Using the products previously mentioned (Meguiar's Dual-Action #83 Cleaner/Polish, followed by the Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover), we were able to get a glass smooth surface, plus eleviate 99.9% of the swirls. You have to look really close to detect anything now. Virtually non-existent. Of course; these steps were followed by the application for the Platinum Pre-Cleaner, then the Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection.

I can honestly say; I have never seen a black car than looked like this. The Mica flakes, alone, are amazing now. To give some idea of what I mean; if you look at the top of the rear bumper from behind the car (in the sunlight); It appears almost silver! The Mica just comes through. It is beautiful. I am very impressed with the results.

With this said; I will no longer use the yellow flannel towels on my car - only Micro Fiber. They are fantastic. Here is the best deal I have found for those. I purchased the $24.95 sampler pack.
http://vaporcleanproducts.com/magic.htm (I actually received 12 towels, not the 10 mentioned).

I am going to buy the Porter Cable polisher, soon. I will 'Platinum' my wife's ES in a couple of weeks.

So; there are a lot of good quality products out there. I guess; it's what works best for you - that is what's important. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:
Back