Water in passenger footwell - where's the leak?

I'm sure you've checked this, but do you ever get any water inside when washing the car?

you're saying when it rains, it gets worse??

2 things. the grommet is loose/out.

and, the water drainages from the top of the roof or w/e are clogged/messed up.

Try getting inside then pulling back the carpet (or better yet removing the carpet). Then get someone to hose down the car one section at a time, while your inside looking for when the water starts to come in then. Hopefully you can then trace it back to the leak (or at least have some area to start narrowing down where the leak is coming from).

I have the same issue and have been diagnosing for the last few weeks. My leak is coming from the right corner of the pass footwell behind the sound deadening. Its coming from a cracked seam and just seeps through slowly. I covered with some seam sealer but it stilled leaked through so I now added alot more and will wet it down to see if it holds this weekend.

If everything else checks out then this is your problem

I have the same issue and have been diagnosing for the last few weeks. My leak is coming from the right corner of the pass footwell behind the sound deadening. Its coming from a cracked seam and just seeps through slowly. I covered with some seam sealer but it stilled leaked through so I now added alot more and will wet it down to see if it holds this weekend.

If everything else checks out then this is your problem

(mswerd) I have had the exact same problem! Let us know if this works cuz i'm gonna try the same thing.

some times the corner of the door gets all rusty and water can leak through there cuz it isent sealing anymore

Argh I have the same problem now - it's really pissing me off! - The car is practically undrivable in the mornings now bc the humidity condenses inside and then freezes - I have to scrape it off the inside of the windshield & then towel off! - Gonna try to pull back the carpet this weekend and try your advice to hose down sections to find the source.

Now what to do about the friggin mildew smell... fabreeze aint enough

U figure this out cuz im having this same issue. Its not coming from the back of the car I know that cuz i parked it facing up hill and the next day i had a puddle still. what to do? lol

im workin on it now, pulled back the carpet and man theres like an inch of water in the backseat footwell.

ok we poured water all over the car but couldnt see it getting inside anywhere which leads me to believe its gettin in from underneath somwhere

yeah we just had a 3 day noreaster that ended yesterday. no wet passenger floor...

prob one of the plugs in the floor. take the seat and carpet out. on the one side 9you don't have to take it fully out just peel back far enough to see)

just like other people have said. the seats are prob just 4 17mm bolts

taking out the seeat is real easy, 4 bolts, the carpet peels back real easy, theres only a couple grommets holdin it in place. its dryin right now, but i still dont know where the leak is. gonna get it on a lift and see if we can figure it out

Looked at mine today. Looks like mine is coming from behind the dash somewhere. couldnt rele see without taking it off but it was leaking from the front down the side of the door sil and soaking the back. Just thought id throw that out there. Maybe thats ur problem too. If so let me know how u fix it haha

i dunno i had my dad hose the car pretty good from the outside and i couldnt see any water coming in. gonna look at it more tommorow

Glad to know I'm not alone with this problem... I've taken the carpet out and will try a leak down test when I have time... for now, I'm just driving around w/o the carpet to see if I can pin point where it's coming from when it rains. I'm starting to think I need to look into the drains - can someone clearly post up exactly where and how to check the roof drains... it's been mentioned but not exactly clear to me...My 3 has two black strips of metal rails along the top not sure how to remove them to see where it drains... Also where are the weld seams that I should be looking at in the front right side?

I did notice some whitish residue - which seemed like water had leaked and dried up from the top of the right door and on the inside by the hinge of the door on the plastic... I still don't see how that could let so much water in - nor how it could make its way onto the floor board instead of just down and out off the lip of the door frame ledge...

Last edited:
right now im driving without the pass seat and carpet, waiting for it to rain. if it doesnt rain this week im gonna get it up on a lift.

lol - I thought about it but had to put the passenger seat back in... couldn't get away with telling the wife to sit on the floor.

Latest posts

Back