USA Mazda Diesel Engine Delayed Again

Look at the whirlpool forum if you want to compare figures.

Between the 2.5 petrol and 175ps diesel I believe the petrol is a tiny bit quicker to 60mph, but its low down torque that I need in a towcar that's important to me, in that respect the petrol isn't the best choice.

I would think that the petrol is a good choice for reliability, no turbo, no DPF filter.

Nice recap of key advantages/disadvantages.

In US, the diesel cars are more expensive too. Though they usually have more standard features then regular petrol models.

The cars themselves or the fuel ?

Here in Belgium, the diesel powered car is more expensive, but the fuel is cheaper.
Combined with better fuel-economy, the diesel car is cheaper in the end IF you drive more then 20000KM/year (12500Miles)
keep in mind Belgium is a tiny country, so we do have to consider that, diesel or petrol, because many people here don't drive 12500miles/year.

In the US you probably drive 20+ miles just to get to the mall right ?
Over here 80 miles is already "far" (crazy)

This The truth about cars article claims Mazda might after all use some kind of after treatment for their diesel engine when it brings it to the US.
This is an unconfirmed rumor though Mazda is still committed to bringing the diesel with the right combination of economy and power.
According to our source, the after-treatment free Skyactiv-D diesel engine was unable to meet stringent US diesel emissions standards. When engineers finally produced a compliant package, the power output was reportedly considered too low to meet consumer expectations, leading to a major re-think of the diesel program.

The solution will apparently be an unspecified after-treatment, with the first diesel car slated to debut in one year’s time. While the Mazda6 is the first candidate for a diesel engine, our source said that its success could mean diesel variants of other vehicles like the Mazda3 and CX-5.

Glad I didn't wait for this before getting mine. It sounds like wait is another year or two

Mazda said 2.2 diesel meets Euro 6 regs without after treatment. I expect the US version will too, assuming they resolve "driveability issues" as reported by Left Lane.

Mazda said 2.2 diesel meets Euro 6 regs without after treatment. I expect the US version will too, assuming they resolve "driveability issues" as reported by Left Lane.

Do you think you might pick one up if they finally ship one to the states?

I had wanted one all along but am happy enough with my 2.5L it is a non-issue for me now.

I guessing these "driveabiltiy" issues might have something to do with the 9.4s 0-62 time for the most powerful automatic diesel in the UK...
I doubt many customers in North America are going to want to pay a premium for a diesel which is slightly slower than the 2.0L gas version, and a lot slower than the 2.5L.

I think mazda might be trying to increase the power output of the diesel, but is having a hard time meeting the emission regs without after treatment.

Do you think you might pick one up if they finally ship one to the states?

I had wanted one all along but am happy enough with my 2.5L it is a non-issue for me now.

No, I have doubts about reliability and maintenance costs (and those concerns apply to all clean diesels today), not to mention purchase price premium.

I guessing these "driveabiltiy" issues might have something to do with the 9.4s 0-62 time for the most powerful automatic diesel in the UK...
I doubt many customers in North America are going to want to pay a premium for a diesel which is slightly slower than the 2.0L gas version, and a lot slower than the 2.5L.

I think mazda might be trying to increase the power output of the diesel, but is having a hard time meeting the emission regs without after treatment.
I think if you drove the 2.2d you would be surprised at how powerful it felt as the high torque available low down in the rev range gives you far more pull than you will ever feel in the petrol model, along with more effortless cruising (torque allows higher overall gearing) and also much better mpg. The 0-60 times favours high revving petrol engines but 30-50/ 50-70 times relate much more to normal driving and the diesel will usually be better at those figures.

I.

The news said that gas prices might fall into the $2 range this year. That will help snuff diesel enthusiasm. I will cling to my tdi ('03 5sp gls wagon) until it is a pile of rust!

I'm thinking the diesel purchase price premium combined with technical issues has further delayed (or killed) the CX-5 diesel coming to US.

I'm thinking the diesel purchase price premium combined with technical issues has further delayed (or killed) the CX-5 diesel coming to US.
Agreed, I don't think we'll see SkyActiv-D here in the near future! (mad)

Judging by the responses from European Diesel owners, Mazda Doesn't have a good system yet. Raising the "full" oil level mark on a new dipstick is not a fix and diesel fuel is not good for bearing lubrication. Mazda has screwed up IMO and needs a solid fix like VW, Mercedes and others have. Ed

Yes you only have to read the brits thread to see the numerous engine problems, in Australia new cams are being fitted, in Europe new brake servos etc, new rear brakes and discs are being replaced due to excessive wear.

It makes me wonder about Mazda's reliability frankly, having had 4 Nissans, a Honda and a Toyota, this make Mazda is by far the worst for problems.

Mine has been relatively good having only failed to start due to a flat battery, sorted be "adjusting" the smart charging system. But I haven't had a failure to start on a car since a mini metro in the 80's!!

Not sure what my next car will be as I really like the car.

Back