US Diesel's big splash introduction

Yes of course, I'm talking about commuting, not racing. It had better downshift if I stomp on the gas.

With the 2.5 test drive, it felt like the engine sounded like I was trying to accelerate aggressively when I felt like what I'd call moderate.
Well they have tuned the 2017 to be more responsive

Horsepower is horsepower. On a WOT acceleration test from a stop, 187 horsepower is greater than the 175 horsepower for the current diesel engine.

In daily driving, like when cruising on the highway, the RPM will be low, which sits right where the diesel makes more horsepower than the NA engine. So on highway passing attempts where you're not going WOT, the diesel will need minimal downshifts and will feel a lot stronger while passing.

I'm sure I'll adapt but I'm also sure I'll prefer the less aggressive (more progressive) throttle mapping of the gen1 car- this is one of my peeves about the bmw- its too damn touchy, eco pro is too slow until 1/2 to 3/4 and then BANG- its actually fun to mess with it but stability can't be disabled in tandem:( One goldilocks throttle would be better.

2nd half of 17 sure is looking less and less likely huh?

Horsepower is horsepower. On a WOT acceleration test from a stop, 187 horsepower is greater than the 175 horsepower for the current diesel engine.

In daily driving, like when cruising on the highway, the RPM will be low, which sits right where the diesel makes more horsepower than the NA engine. So on highway passing attempts where you're not going WOT, the diesel will need minimal downshifts and will feel a lot stronger while passing.

If the throttle has been remapped liked the NA engine, then the diesel might still shift a cog or two where as previously they were tuned for more economy than performance

According to Mazda they will showcase the diesel engine with major hp and torque upgrade in Tokyo Auto show, hopefully that will bring the 0 to 60 figures on par with the 2.5 gas.

Anyone know when are we going to see the skyactiv X engine in the CX 5?

According to Mazda they will showcase the diesel engine with major hp and torque upgrade in Tokyo Auto show, hopefully that will bring the 0 to 60 figures on par with the 2.5 gas.

That means this power and torque upgrade will be for all countries as well (scratch)

Anyone know when are we going to see the skyactiv X engine in the CX 5?

Probably around 2020

I just came from the dealer. I noticed that the smoke from the muffler doesn't smell like diesel fuel at all. It's like water. Are all diesel engines like that or just Mazda?

Show opens Oct 27. Press conference Oct 25th.

"Also displayed will be the Mazda CX-8, a new three-row crossover SUV with major upgrades to the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel, as well as a special edition Mazda MX-5 Red Top. The Mazda CX-8 will be on sale in Japan in December. The Mazda MX-5 will feature a dark cherry red canopy and auburn nappa leather upholstery."

"The Mazda CX-8, a new three-row crossover SUV that goes on sale in Japan in December, will also be on display at the show. The companys flagship SUV in Japan, it features sophisticated styling and comfortable seating in all three rows. Major upgrades to the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine increase torque and power for composed performance."

Can't really say what it smells of, only time I notice an exhaust smell is a after a DPF burn that's not finished, then it can smell of burning rubber.

I just came from the dealer. I noticed that the smoke from the muffler doesn't smell like diesel fuel at all. It's like water. Are all diesel engines like that or just Mazda?

hopefully after the Tokyo and LA shows we'll start getting a better idea of when we can expect that car to be stateside.

hopefully after the Tokyo and LA shows we'll start getting a better idea of when we can expect that car to be stateside.

Indeed.. breath officially on hold! They eluded to this increased performance by the time it made here so yeah cautiously stoked.

Toyota and Honda have stepped up their chassis/engine/features for 2018. Here's to Mazda staying ahead of the power/looks/handling/mpgs curve for 2019 like when skyactiv suite first came out in 2012/2013.

Back