US Diesel's big splash introduction

In the interim, found 0-175km/h (0-109mph) specially from 37 second mark:

I think diesel engine is delayed due to engine gasket issue which happens in many countries.
As mileage accumulates (50K, 100K), these older engines begin to show this issue.

Mazda certainly wants to be very cautious not to tarnish their reliability image due to diesel engines in US.
(CX7 was pretty bad for Mazda in USA due to its turbo)
That is my guess, but the diesel engine issue is real.
There are no gasket issues with the current diesel.

As best I can tell, it took right around 30-31 seconds to hit 109mph. The 2.5L CX5 hits 110mph in 31 flat. Sounds like it is equivalent, vs. better.

It should be close to the same since there is only 9 HP difference between the two engines. In a comparison of sustained maximum acceleration, the result usually comes down to horsepower/weight.

The driving experience is quite different though due to the top-heavy powerband of the naturally aspirated 2.5L vs. the bottom-heavy powerband of the turbo 2.2D.

Right, I never said it's a bad vehicle or noone should buy one.

Well, maybe you can go start a thread on how it's too bad Mazda no longer sells the 2 here and I can crap all over it because it's not big enough for my family and would suck at towing :p

It should be close to the same since there is only 9 HP difference between the two engines. In a comparison of sustained maximum acceleration, the result usually comes down to horsepower/weight.

The driving experience is quite different though due to the top-heavy powerband of the naturally aspirated 2.5L vs. the bottom-heavy powerband of the turbo 2.2D.

Rolling acceleration should be better in the diesel if I am not mistaken

In the chipped out big trucks I drove for work sometimes, it sure SEEMED like it, but maybe it was just the super linear power delivery being deceptive. I don't know. THe videos/numbers don't seem to back the theory.

In the chipped out big trucks I drove for work sometimes, it sure SEEMED like it, but maybe it was just the super linear power delivery being deceptive. I don't know. THe videos/numbers don't seem to back the theory.
Maybe a current owner here can post a video showing this along with times (uhm)

I think it depends on whether you're talking about mash-the-pedal testing, or real world roll-on acceleration which is usually less than full throttle.

In mash-the-pedal tests, Mazda's current 6AT in the CX-5 downshifts fast, so the 2.5L gets into its powerband quickly and I suspect acceleration times will be roughly similar. If the 2.2D has an edge it will be small.

When cruising around in the real world, the transmission is lugging both engines at low RPM in a high gear. Under those conditions, the 2.5L is far away from its power band and isn't going anywhere without a couple of downshifts. But the 2.2D will have torque on tap, so it will feel more powerful and responsive in everyday driving.

I think it depends on whether you're talking about mash-the-pedal testing, or real world roll-on acceleration which is usually less than full throttle.

In mash-the-pedal tests, Mazda's current 6AT in the CX-5 downshifts fast, so the 2.5L gets into its powerband quickly and I suspect acceleration times will be roughly similar. If the 2.2D has an edge it will be small.

When cruising around in the real world, the transmission is lugging both engines at low RPM in a high gear. Under those conditions, the 2.5L is far away from its power band and isn't going anywhere without a couple of downshifts. But the 2.2D will have torque on tap, so it will feel more powerful and responsive in everyday driving.

You could be right - I suspect most people come between somewhere pressing the throttle about 1/2 to around 3/4 to full mash-the-pedal.

I agree with that.

df8b96cc2cd1ffee32039972707e10a6.jpg

This just posted on Au CX5 FB group. 2013 CX5 diesel KE with mild versa tune ecu remap.

Last edited:
Will still do it depending on throttle pressure etc

Yes of course, I'm talking about commuting, not racing. It had better downshift if I stomp on the gas.

With the 2.5 test drive, it felt like the engine sounded like I was trying to accelerate aggressively when I felt like what I'd call moderate.

Latest posts

Back