US Diesel's big splash introduction

Mazda NA probably shouldn't have created expectations by announcing it and telling us it was coming in 2017. I'm mainly frustrated that Mazda can't seem to get it done (EPA approval) while others can.

Yeah agreed but I hasten to believe any other narrative wrt the delay at this point. It will appear on fueleconomy.gov shortly after the green light given and numbers are finalised. That has yet to happen, no one knows why, when and if it actually will..well someone does but I don't think they have a 247 acct set up yet...We don't know how long the few diesels that are new/still for sale took to ok but I have extremely little doubt that those cheating fks @VW can be thanked at least in part for jamming up our diesel cuv option....extremely.. little.

Last edited:
Not sure about the reliability of the Siver Times. Anybody know about it’s reputation ?
——
A little earlier this year, Mazda had promised a diesel version of the CX-5 by the end of the year. We now have confirmation that it will not happen.

Questioned about this, a representative of Mazda Canada has confirmed that a marketing of a version with a diesel engine of the CX-5 remained in the plans in North America. However, now we are speaking of an arrival on the market in 2018.
https://sivertimes.com/the-mazda-cx-5-diesel-is-delayed/71759

So, the person I normally deal with was not in but I talked to the other manager and he said he has no new information. I mentioned that I was told November-December of this year and he kinda laughed and said "he does not see that happening". Returning my deposit as well. I think they know as much as we do - which is basically nothing. These guys actually own a Honda and VW dealership in town as well.
That's fast! I made reservations/deposits to 3 Mazda dealers so the first one to get the unit gets the sale. Got my unit Sept 4 though I filed my withdrawal of reservation last week of August from the 2 dealers. Got my deposit from 1 dealer in 2 weeks however the other dealer is still "processing" my withdrawal. Geez. They're awfully quick in asking for reservations but slow in returning the deposit.

Must be frustrating for Mazda if they end up not able to release it for 2017, especially since they set the expectation that it is coming out in 2017.

Must be frustrating for Mazda if they end up not able to release it for 2017, especially since they set the expectation that it is coming out in 2017.

Well, it's not like the requirements for diesel in this country are a secret. Unless something radically changed in the last few months regarding getting government OK they should have had it dialed in better before they started promoting, even with the VW incident.

I think they've changed direction after the recent partnership with Toyota and the diesel is going bye-bye but my theory is just a guess.

And because I'm not inclined to do a second thread, I've been trying to schedule my Mazda for the lift gate recall, need to take a day off to do it, and the web app keeps wanting to set me up for a 50K service. Sure thing, let me check the manual and, wait a second.....ain't no such thing....car dealers, damn I hate you.

Well, it's not like the requirements for diesel in this country are a secret. Unless something radically changed in the last few months regarding getting government OK they should have had it dialed in better before they started promoting, even with the VW incident.

I think they've changed direction after the recent partnership with Toyota and the diesel is going bye-bye but my theory is just a guess.

And because I'm not inclined to do a second thread, I've been trying to schedule my Mazda for the lift gate recall, need to take a day off to do it, and the web app keeps wanting to set me up for a 50K service. Sure thing, let me check the manual and, wait a second.....ain't no such thing....car dealers, damn I hate you.
My theory is the debut of SkyActiv-X is making them rethink even trying to sell a diesel in North America. Maybe they think it's not worth the effort anymore. Still, my gut feeling says they are still being held up at the EPA.

Just give your dealer a call to schedule your appointment , or just show up early on a Saturday morning.

Ah. We get that DPF here and understand the basic concepts however I'm not familiar with how Mazda implemented it on SkyActiv and how the vibration is related to the DPF regen.
So.... can you record the sound and post a link here please (scratch)
No sound unfortunately sir. Just vibration. Though it kinda feels like a light continuous bump vibration and also feels like engine starting but it's not. [emoji12] Really sorry if I kinda confused you cuz I'm not really that good in my second language.

Ah. We get that DPF here and understand the basic concepts however I'm not familiar with how Mazda implemented it on SkyActiv and how the vibration is related to the DPF regen.
No sound unfortunately sir. Just vibration. Though it kinda feels like a light continuous bump vibration and also feels like engine starting but it's not. [emoji12] Really sorry if I kinda confused you cuz I'm not really that good in my second language.

Take it to the dealer and get a mechanic to go on a drive with you

For future USA diesel CX-5 owners 0-62mph:

So basically 2.0L performance. About a full second to 60 slower than my 2.5L, which, now that I have moved, is returning an average of 25-27mpg per tank. Also, the roads I now drive are asphalt, which is very quiet compared to concrete. My location has vastly improved my CX5 experience. Given the 30 cents per gallon premium for Diesel, these factors will keep me in my current CX5 petrol, along with what appears to be plenty of teething issues for Mazda.

Last edited:
Aye, go on, write it off before you’ve tried it. What those figures don’t do is demonstrate the pulling power which is far in excess of the petrol engine. I’ve said many times in this thread that all the grunt is low down and there is no benefit in caning it. Its a worthless test in that respect.

Latest posts

Back