US Diesel's big splash introduction

I took my shields off for wax application;

IMG_3714.jpg

Looks kind of bare without them!

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

That was the felt thing i was talking about! So it's called shield. (cabpatch) And I was planning to put undercoat under that shield because it was bare. Thanks Anchorman for those informative pictures. I also noticed that the shields were attached by simple plastic push clips. Are they easy to remove or unplug? Upon inspection it looks like it would get easily brittle in a few years.

Anchorman, I can't fault your plan to wax the underbody, because that's how we get these great pictures. What problem are you trying to forestall? Are you doing that against corrosion, or for long term aesthetics should somebody get their nose down there?

I'm puzzled by the sound-deadening idea. It seems like it would have to be some nasty, tenacious stuff to have an effect on noise in the cabin. I"m imagining something like a spray on pickup bed liner. I'm picturing all of those bolts, seams, hangers, and clips gobbed up with crap when somebody goes to work on it in the future.

That was the felt thing i was talking about! So it's called shield. (cabpatch) And I was planning to put undercoat under that shield because it was bare. Thanks Anchorman for those informative pictures. I also noticed that the shields were attached by simple plastic push clips. Are they easy to remove or unplug? Upon inspection it looks like it would get easily brittle in a few years.

Yes, there are a combination of clips and bolts. They come off easy while the car is new but may be awkward with age. There isn't much under there mechanically so hopefully they wouldn't need to come off again.

Anchorman, I can't fault your plan to wax the underbody, because that's how we get these great pictures. What problem are you trying to forestall? Are you doing that against corrosion, or for long term aesthetics should somebody get their nose down there?

I'm puzzled by the sound-deadening idea. It seems like it would have to be some nasty, tenacious stuff to have an effect on noise in the cabin. I"m imagining something like a spray on pickup bed liner. I'm picturing all of those bolts, seams, hangers, and clips gobbed up with crap when somebody goes to work on it in the future.

Yes, I wondered about sound deadening on one of the quietest cars on the market but I guess if it doubles for corrosion preventative then it justifies it. Some of these coatings dry quite stiff so they do prevent drumming. For me? One of these days I'll get the benefit of all this rust proofing. So far there have been a long succession of beneficiaries from my efforts! We get a lot of rain, slush and salt here in the winter which causes at best, surface rust so it just satisfies my pedantic nature. Waxing the fuel filler pipe is always advantageous as they seem to corrode on many makes and are flippin' expensive.

IMG_3530.jpg

Yes, there are a combination of clips and bolts. They come off easy while the car is new but may be awkward with age. There isn't much under there mechanically so hopefully they wouldn't need to come off again.

Yes, I wondered about sound deadening on one of the quietest cars on the market but I guess if it doubles for corrosion preventative then it justifies it. Some of these coatings dry quite stiff so they do prevent drumming. For me? One of these days I'll get the benefit of all this rust proofing. So far there have been a long succession of beneficiaries from my efforts! We get a lot of rain, slush and salt here in the winter which causes at best, surface rust so it just satisfies my pedantic nature. Waxing the fuel filler pipe is always advantageous as they seem to corrode on many makes and are flippin' expensive.

IMG_3530.jpg
My points exactly for the undercoat. It DOES NOT totally remove the road noise but it will surely provide a little noise reduction, plus the added coating for better rust protection. I'm still on a hunt for bitumen based undercoat as they are very sticky and will better adhere to the metal than rubberized undercoat.

Back to the title subject (vs. soundproofing rift), has anyone heard anything on US diesel availability from a dealer, barista, their priest? Heck, I'll take some Fake News.

Apparently, nothing!
More likely Mazda cancelled the NA diesel and forgot to delete this site...!
I filled out and sent this form in the spring of ‘17 and have never heard a peep from Mazda - as many others in the forum have also noted. Interesting marketing.
Mazda’s marketing hasn’t scored any confidence with me.
Call Mazda North American HQ

My dealer opens up at 8. Will call them later today to see what they say...

I talked to mine a couple weeks ago. They were pretty confident it's not going to make it here this year, and Mazda isn't telling them anything about a possible release schedule. The only positive thing they could say is that the diesel is still part of Mazda's product strategy. So I guess we'll get it when we get it, if we get it, and if not, we won't. (dunno)

It's looking increasingly likely that I'm going to need a new ride before the CX-5 diesel gets here. My current drive is on its last legs, one more expensive failure and it's gone. At the rate they've been coming, I give it 6 months, less if we have a hard winter.

So, the person I normally deal with was not in but I talked to the other manager and he said he has no new information. I mentioned that I was told November-December of this year and he kinda laughed and said "he does not see that happening". Returning my deposit as well. I think they know as much as we do - which is basically nothing. These guys actually own a Honda and VW dealership in town as well.

So, the person I normally deal with was not in but I talked to the other manager and he said he has no new information. I mentioned that I was told November-December of this year and he kinda laughed and said "he does not see that happening". Returning my deposit as well. I think they know as much as we do - which is basically nothing. These guys actually own a Honda and VW dealership in town as well.

Probably 1st quarter 2018

What bothers me is that the dealership has no clue. And their tone suggests they are not happy with whatever communication (or not) they are getting from Mazda.

Looks like Mazda NO HQ has dropped the ball - big time

^My take on this is they are frustrated and likely aren't getting much if any concrete response from Mazda whose hands are basically tied at this point and its probably bad form when you want someone (the epa) to do something for you (green light your diesel) to tell your customers they're the reason for the f'n delay..those douchey aholes!

Last edited:
Mazda NA probably shouldn't have created expectations by announcing it and telling us it was coming in 2017. I'm mainly frustrated that Mazda can't seem to get it done (EPA approval) while others can.

We don't even know if EPA is the reason for the delay. Could be supply issues (scratch)

Back