turbo seals shot? *video*

OUCH! I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news, blue smoke usually means a blown head gasket (blue comes from a combination of oil mixed with antifreeze). Check to see if your antifreeze is brown, or if you drain your oil, if it comes out like a chocolate milkshake.

OUCH! I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news, blue smoke usually means a blown head gasket (blue comes from a combination of oil mixed with antifreeze). Check to see if your antifreeze is brown, or if you drain your oil, if it comes out like a chocolate milkshake.

WRONG:
Blue smoke is oil, white smoke is coolant, and black smoke is unspent fuel...

oil is fine. coolant is fine. im thinking rings, or turbo exhaust seal (which is what i really think it is) anyone know the nest place to get a used or new turbo for these things and if its better to go with stock turbo or upgrade to the 28?

i know the cheapest way to fix the turbo without getting a sleeved china charger is probably to take your turbo out, take the shells off each end and then send the core into a garrett dealer for a rebuild. its referred to as a CHRA. to send yours in for a rebuild would be 300-500$, but for them to send you a new CHRA, your looking at about 800-850$. the gt28's run around 1100 new so i guess it depends how deep your wallet is, either way, not cheap.

Check your plugs. If there's oil on any of them, it's internal to the engine. If they're clean, then it's after the engine (turbo.) Alamo Turbochargers here in Calgary can rebuild it for you and ship it back.

What exhaust is that?

The Turbo is sucking oil like a prostitute trying to make a quick Buck........

Prostitutes don't suck oil where I'm from. Maybe you should get that checked out by a doctor...

Theres nothing saying its definitely the turbo. When I cooked a ring my engine did the exact same thing, hence why I said to look at the plugs first.

Prostitutes don't suck oil where I'm from. Maybe you should get that checked out by a doctor...

Theres nothing saying its definitely the turbo. When I cooked a ring my engine did the exact same thing, hence why I said to look at the plugs first.

im a certified mazda tech.... i see plenty of mazdas blowing smoke all the time and 100% of the smoke comes from the turbo seals .

Engine Exhaust Emits White or Blue Smoke

Possible Causes
Remedies

Dirty air cleaner element
Inspect and replace air cleaner if necessary.

Restricted duct between air cleaner and turbocharger compressor
Remove restriction or replace damaged parts as necessary.

Seal leakage at the compressor end of turbocharger
Refer to this symptom troubleshooting chart for "Oil Seal Leakage at Compressor End of Turbocharger".

Seal leakage at turbine end of turbocharger
Refer to this symptom troubleshooting chart for "Oil Seal Leakage at Turbine End of Turbocharger".

straight from Mazda MS3 support system.

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Possible Causes
Remedies

Wrong type or viscosity of engine oil
Replace engine oil with specified viscosity and grade.

Seal leakage at compressor end of turbocharger (indicated by oil in housing or on wheel)
Refer to this symptom troubleshooting chart for "Oil Seal Leakage at Compressor End of Turbocharger".

Seal leakage at turbine end of turbocharger (indicated by oil in housing or on wheel)
Refer to this symptom troubleshooting chart for "Oil Seal Leakage at Turbine End of Turbocharger".

Oil in engine exhaust manifold (indicating malfunction of rings, pistons, valves, etc.)
Diagnose and correct as necessary.

Last edited:
im a certified mazda tech.... i see plenty of mazdas blowing smoke all the time and 100% of the smoke comes from the turbo seals

Maybe on the cars that you've seen, but I've seen MUCH different and I like to think I know the FS inside and out. I've only built about 8 of them...

A quick plug check will reveal if the oil is burning inside the engine or after it.

Back