Tribute owner looking for a change...

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
HI everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently an owner of an 05 tribute(110,000 miles) and I'm in the market for a replacement in June( the wife's car will be paid off then). I've loved the Tribute and it's been a very reliable vehicle, but the gas milage and tank range was Pathetic( 18MPG and 250 mile range).

I'll be considering the usual suspects(Rogue, Forrester, Escape, CR-V).

Thankfully the auto show is in March, but I was really hoping for some news from Mazda on the 2015.

My top needs are great interior, good MPG, good handling with some pep.

So far I'm excited about the Cx-5, but not a fan of the infotainment center and navigation. I would love to see the 3's interior in the Cx-5.

So far I'm excited about the Cx-5, but not a fan of the infotainment center and navigation. I would love to see the 3's interior in the Cx-5.

I hope they maintain a double-DIN format, or something besides the 3's hideous panel.

I'm in the Twin Cities too. I had a 2002 Escape AWD which was the most reliable vehicle I had ever owned. It had a few of the usual problems that Escapes/Tributes/Mariners had, but nothing terrible. Sold it with 178,000 miles to a neighbor for $3,800 - he loves it too!

I now have a 2014 CX-5 AWD that I am extremely pleased with. Even though some folks on here think it's noisy inside, it's much quieter than my Escape ever was (I had the factory cargo shade in the Escape and also bought a factory one for my CX-5). The Escape was an excellent handling vehicle, but I feel the CX-5 is even better, especially with the 19" factory tires (GT model) on dry pavement. That said, when the snow started to fly here, it handled much worse than the Escape did with Goodyear Fortera all-season's. Solution: 4 - 17" OEM CX-5 wheels from Ebay along with 4 Blizzak DM-V1's. Night and day difference in handling! Very capable now in the snow AND on ice; better than or at least equal to the Escape. I had the V6 in Escape so I was worried about the smaller 2.5 in the CX-5. I need not have worried as the 2.5 has plenty of power (the CX-5 is lighter than my Escape was) and the 6 speed automatic makes great use of the available power. Is it as quick as the Escape? Probably not, but I am hard pressed to tell the difference. Where I can tell the difference is in gas mileage. With the conditions here in MN this winter (and our fuel) I am getting about 24-25 MPG around town. Super high? Nope. But very acceptable to me (I am somewhat of a leadfoot too). I just got back from vacation last Sunday. The CX-5 was sitting outside at the Park 'n Go lot for 9 days which were, as you are well aware, way below zero. -3 when we got back to the vehicle. Got in, pushed the button and it started right up. It has started right up every time no matter the temp (I think -22 was the lowest where I am). Finally, I am just a basic user of the entertainment system (I have the tech package which I highly recommend even if just for the headlights!) and it works for me. My Galaxy S4 (AT&T) pairs just fine with the system and text messages download and can be read out loud to me with a button push. Bluetooth works great for music from my phone and for audio books which I download from the library and listen to on my commute. The Nav unit is basic and works fine for me, but I mainly just use it to show where I am rather than planning a trip. Love the auto-wipers, auto-headlights, dual HVAC controls, push button start, seat heaters (never thought I'd care about them, but they are pretty sweet!) and the manual mode of the transmission.

I hope this helps you out. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The tribute has been a good SUV, although the severe cold this year finally killed my alternator when it was -6 in December. I also notice some weird vibrations in the steering when I'm taking off from a turn after stopping. My tribute is really bare bones, so i'm excited for some bells and whistles and leather seats(my son has killed the interior due to all the salt on his boots and shoes.

I'm almost 100% certain I'll go with the CX-5, but I just want to do some research.

How much does it cost to update the maps? I've heard you only get one update.

How are the city breaks and the blind spot warning indicators?

How are the blind spots? The tribute has really good visibility, but it seems like all new SUV's really have bad visibility. But I guess the technology helps with that.

Where did you buy your CX-5 in the cities? I live in Savage, so my dealership I use is Walser. My company also gets the S discount at Mazda, so it would probably take a lot for another vehicle to sway my purchase.

Thanks for the info.

I suspect Mazda will do a significant refresh for 2016 to bring the new 3's infotainment system to the CX-5. That being said, while the interface isn't very polished, the system in the CX-5 has pretty much every feature you could ask for(pandora integration, HD radio, etc). There is even a speed camera warning built into the nav system. Bottom line, if you don't mind waiting, you might get the new system. If you don't want to wait, the new system is perfectly functional, just lacks polish.

What tires come standard with the AWD grand touring and what is their mileage range? My Tribute's original tires were rated for 80,000 and that's what I got.

Also - If you get the factory remote start does it integrate into the existing keyfob with the tech package?

I got mine from Morrie's in Minnetonka. Very happy so far with them, but Walser should also be good. With S Plan, it's really about the dealer I guess since you get a set price. I get free oil changes for 3 years and free car washes anytime.

Not really sure what the mileage rating is on the 19" Toyo's that are standard on the GT AWD. Probably won't be real high since they are low profile. I don't know about the remote start since I don't have it. Pretty sure it's a dealer installed option. I had the dealer install the OEM trailer hitch before I even picked up the vehicle.

I haven't had occasion to use the Smart City Brakes, so can't say how they work. The Blind Spot system works well although you do get some "false alerts" when going past guard rails or center medians sometimes.

Compared to the Escape/Tribute, the A-pillar (between windshield and door) is larger and does restrict visibility a bit. Also, with the Tech package, there is a large black plastic cover behind the inside mirror that takes some getting used to (it covers all the sensors for things like the auto headlights, auto-wipers, etc.).

I have upgraded the maps a couple of times and haven't been charged yet. I keep tabs here on the forum for new releases and then download them right to the memory card using my computer and the TomTom Home software. The Sirius worked fine, but I didn't renew the subscription - just didn't use it that much so not worth it to pay for it.

So the remote starter doesn't replace the existing keyfob? I don't think I'm excited abbout two key fobs.

That's great if they don't charge for map upgrades. I currently use my Iphone 5 with a cell phone mount for GPS.

I'm interested in either a silver color or a silvery blue. Blue Reflex Mica and Liquid silver metallic are my leading choices.

How is the leather quality? My wife's HHR leather seems cheap.

In regards to accessories, what have you got?
I've never needed a trailer hitch but I'm thinking it might be a good idea considering there's not much room inside and it would be nice to have the option.

I also want some all weather mats; Are the mazda option good or should I just stick with Weather tech?

So the remote starter doesn't replace the existing keyfob? I don't think I'm excited abbout two key fobs.

It is a bit of a pain to carry both in pants/jeans pockets. I typically leave the remote start at home and only use it first thing in the morning; that is the only time I really need it anyway.

What tires come standard with the AWD grand touring and what is their mileage range? My Tribute's original tires were rated for 80,000 and that's what I got.

Toyo (A23 all season) is standard tire. It's a good tire and quiet for this class of vehicle. Based on my actual wear so far at 25K miles, I expect tires to last about 65K miles.

Is the Sun roof standard on certain trims? I didn't see it listed as an option for the Grand Touring. I've never cared for Sun Roof's and actually had a few leak in the past.

I absolutely like the interior of the CX-5 GT, excellent placement of controls and quality of material.

If I had to be nit-picky: all the buttons on the door control pad should be lit up. Also, arm rests for the front seats. Other than than, everything suits me fine.

I had a 14 Mazda 3 GS as a loaner while my CX-5 was in for undercoating at the dealership. Didn't care for the info console system, looks like an after-thought and the instrument cluster was not as nice either.

I think the leather quality is good. It's perforated as opposed to the leather on my Escape so I expect it to wear better.

As far as accessories:
- Weathertech mats and like them so far
- OEM door sill trim/scuff plates
- OEM rear bumper trim
- OEM front and rear splash guards
- OEM cargo cover
- OEM rubber cargo tray
- OEM wheel locks (they are McGuard's but in a Mazda package)
- Mazda valve stem covers
- Mazda rear license plate frame

FWIW, ordered this stuff online through Mazdagear.com which is really Morrie's parts department. Some of the best prices online and local pickup to boot!

Traded in my 05 Tribute last month for my GT. Buy the CX 5 for all the reasons you already noted. It's a nice upgrade from the Tribute.

Every time I see a CX-5 I get really excited. What color does everyone have? I really like the light blue Mica.

I have the sky blue mica, but that color has apparently been discontinued and replaced with a grayish blue.

Back