trade in my 2016 CX-5 for a 2019 CX-5 ?

Seriously, is something keeping you from going to a dealer and testing one YOURSELF? Only YOU can decide if the seat is comfortable, or not. Every forum I've been on there are people praising how comfortable their driver's seat is. At the same time, someone else is complaining how uncomfortable it is. The same goes for performance, unless you want to move up to the turbo, then it's a "no brainer".

I'll never understand why people ask these "should I trade" type questions on the internet. It's a personal decision.

Going to the dealer is a pain in the butt, and some people prefer to keep their interactions with car salespeople to a minimum.

Why are you harassing the OP who's already responded to your off-topic suggestions. Sounds like you prefer the in-person touch. Why don't you go hang out in the dealer salesroom and dole out some advice there instead?

On original topic, I have a 2018 GT and haven't driving a gen 1. From reports, it is much quieter with a more refined ride, slightly lighter steering, slower 0-60, and with a number of tech enhancements. I'd choose gen2 for the heads up display alone, as well as my preference for a more comfortable and more refined vehicle.

I went from 2014 GT to 2018 GT, love it but:
Seats are WAY better on the 2018...
2018 is 2 inches wider inside.
Stereo is WAY better in 2018.
2018 is WAY quieter.

But:
2018 is WAY slower...like WAY
2018 tranny shifts WAY more lazy.
The 2014 tranny ALWAYS shifted where I would have on a manual.

2018 blind spot monitor is way to easily set off...like way way to easily.
2018 paint seems to scratch just looking at it.

So? GET the TURBO model in AWD!

Thanks for this. More reason for me to not bother checking out a non-turbo Gen 2.

Going to the dealer is a pain in the butt, and some people prefer to keep their interactions with car salespeople to a minimum.

Why are you harassing the OP who's already responded to your off-topic suggestions. Sounds like you prefer the in-person touch. Why don't you go hang out in the dealer salesroom and dole out some advice there instead? .

LOL, to each their own. We're talking about a personal vehicle. If you prefer to have others tell you how much you will like something, vs. actually testing it yourself, fine. I just think it's strange. Carry on... (hi)

Sorry, but making purchase decisions based solely on Internet Forum opinions is a much greater risk than suffering through a test drive and making your own informed decision.

Why are you harassing the OP who's already responded to your off-topic suggestions. Sounds like you prefer the in-person touch. Why don't you go hang out in the dealer salesroom and dole out some advice there instead?

On original topic, I have a 2018 GT and haven't driving a gen 1. From reports, it is much quieter with a more refined ride, slightly lighter steering, slower 0-60, and with a number of tech enhancements. I'd choose gen2 for the heads up display alone, as well as my preference for a more comfortable and more refined vehicle.

Unless I missed something, asking people's opinions on a forum and taking a test drive are not mutually exclusive.

DBcUtoo.jpg

I have a 2013 2.0. Ive maintained and driven my mother in laws 2018 Grand Touring non-turbo 2.5. Even with all of the bells and whistles, leather, bigger engine, etc, I wouldnt trade my 2013 thats paid off for a new non-turbo. I just need a reliable daily driver and not much else, and my Sport fits the bill perfectly.

My wife kind of gave me the green light on getting a pick up truck of my choice next year though. I didnt even ask, I think she wants to treat me after finishing our home renovation lol! Second car is currently a leased 2017 Odyssey Special Edition. I was planning to purchase it at lease end, but buying a used Z71 Colorado with the diesel Duratec engine instead is awfully, AWFULLY tempting for slightly more than purchase option on the van.

Sorry, but making purchase decisions based solely on Internet Forum opinions is a much greater risk than suffering through a test drive and making your own informed decision.
Nobody said he is not going to do a test drive, but he is getting information ahead of time. I have seen some truly crap posts here - this one the OP is asking for information and opinion.
As Chris top her mentioned as CX5 and Mazda in general move towards appliance type crowd we will have this - my leather seats are warped / How to install floor mats kind of thread.
Frankly, I don't own this forum, you don't own this forum as long as it helps someone and is non offensive - chime away. I never objected to Mango Con Chile posing as well - free for all.

To answer to the OP
I would not trade in a 16 for a 19 GT. I would not trade in a 16 for a GT-R and Signature. The GT-R and signature have more of a truck engine which is good for a CX-9 but is a lazy attempt by Mazda to just shove it in a CX-5 (understand they are saving money by have few drivetrains globally). Plus it gets within 1 mpg of a CX-9 FWD. That's terribad from a company leading CAFE standards for 5 years.

Plus what it seems like is the 6spd in Gen 2 is more similar to Gen1 Mazda 6. Gen1 Mazda 6- Speed Automatic imho is best tuned in
1. CX5
2. Mazda 3 (Drove many rentals)
3. Mazda6 - many reviews hate the 6spd setup here.

Now Mazda3 despite being 2nd is waaaay less fun than my CX-5 (note I said fun not fast). So I can only imagine Gen2 CX5 to slot between 2nd and 3rd spot above.
Somethings are true - my Gen1 cannot handle small speed bumps gracefully. The rear is always a Thud - there is low speed hesitation. But it is fun for what it is.

To put it in other words - if you would buy a Lexus IS250 over a Lexus ES350 - stay with Gen1, if you would go for ES350 - get a Gen2 (whatever engine).

In May of 2015 I bought a model year 2016 CX-5 GT (red exterior, black leather interior) and the car now has 46,000 miles).
I have enjoyed the car very much and am now considering selling the 2016 and buying a new 2019 CX-5.
From a driving performance perspective is the 2019 about the same as the 2016 ?
Also, is the seat design different ? I've found the 2016 driver's seat to be comfortable and durable.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've gone from a 15' GT to a 17' GT (still own) and now a 19' GT-R

there is a noticeable difference from the 15' (16 in your case) to the 19'. performance wise, technology wise and comfort wise etc. I test drove both the turbo and non turbo models when it came time to choose and as everyone says, it is a no brainer to go with the turbo at this point. its a slight price jump but it is worth it. seats to me feel the same to be honest they're comfortable enough (for me) so I have no complains about that. your decision making would be a lot easier after test driving the car.

Frankly, I don't own this forum, you don't own this forum as long as it helps someone and is non offensive - chime away. I never objected to Mango Con Chile posing as well - free for all.
Agreed.

I would not trade in a 16 for a 19 GT. I would not trade in a 16 for a GT-R and Signature. The GT-R and signature have more of a truck engine which is good for a CX-9 but is a lazy attempt by Mazda to just shove it in a CX-5 (understand they are saving money by have few drivetrains globally). Plus it gets within 1 mpg of a CX-9 FWD. That's terribad from a company leading CAFE standards for 5 years.
Perfectly said!

For CX-5, Mazda should add a turbo to its 2.0L SA-G for more horsepower and better fuel efficiency!!!

Nobody said he is not going to do a test drive, but he is getting information ahead of time. I have seen some truly crap posts here - this one the OP is asking for information and opinion.
As Chris top her mentioned as CX5 and Mazda in general move towards appliance type crowd we will have this - my leather seats are warped / How to install floor mats kind of thread.

To answer to the OP

Plus what it seems like is the 6spd in Gen 2 is more similar to Gen1 Mazda 6. Gen1 Mazda 6- Speed Automatic imho is best tuned in
1. CX5
2. Mazda 3 (Drove many rentals)
3. Mazda6 - many reviews hate the 6spd setup here.

Now Mazda3 despite being 2nd is waaaay less fun than my CX-5 (note I said fun not fast). So I can only imagine Gen2 CX5 to slot between 2nd and 3rd spot above.
Somethings are true - my Gen1 cannot handle small speed bumps gracefully. The rear is always a Thud - there is low speed hesitation. But it is fun for what it is.

To put it in other words - if you would buy a Lexus IS250 over a Lexus ES350 - stay with Gen1, if you would go for ES350 - get a Gen2 (whatever engine).
My GT-R gets better mileage than my 2015 Touring did, and say what you want about the engine, it has resulted in class leading acceleration in the CX5 Turbos, while giving us the benefit of a platform with 3+ years of refinement and proven reliability.

My GT-R gets better mileage than my 2015 Touring did, and say what you want about the engine, it has resulted in class leading acceleration in the CX5 Turbos, while giving us the benefit of a platform with 3+ years of refinement and proven reliability.
Who ARE you? [emoji16][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Q: From a driving performance perspective is the 2019 about the same as the 2016 ?
A: I think it is better. The suspension is better and handling bumps and the 2019 has G-vectoring which is a big upgrade. The 2.5T is a major change but I also think the 2017+ CX-5 is more responsive than the older versions.

Q: is the seat design different?
A: I don't think the seats are any different in design.

Honestly, after driving a while in the 2017+, I find the older models to feel loud and un-refined. I have a 2014 and I am not sure how different the 2016 is, but the 2017+ models are much nicer than my 2014.

I had the opportunity to test drive a 2019 GT today and the driver's seat appeared to be a bit larger (flat seat area between the seat's side bolsters). Also my 2016 has perforated seats, the 2019 leather is not perforated. Finally, the 2019 seats might be a bit softer, not quite as firm to the touch as the 2016 seats).
The handling of the 2019 was similar to the 2016, though the 2019 seemed little bit improved in overall tightness/responsiveness. I am not sure is this is due to the two model years having different suspension mechanics or if it was just the comparison of a 4 year old car to a brand new car.

I had the opportunity to test drive a 2019 GT today and the driver's seat appeared to be a bit larger (flat seat area between the seat's side bolsters). Also my 2016 has perforated seats, the 2019 leather is not perforated. Finally, the 2019 seats might be a bit softer, not quite as firm to the touch as the 2016 seats).
The handling of the 2019 was similar to the 2016, though the 2019 seemed little bit improved in overall tightness/responsiveness. I am not sure is this is due to the two model years having different suspension mechanics or if it was just the comparison of a 4 year old car to a brand new car.

Your opinion matches mine. Now drive the GT-R. Seriously. Youll spend money.

It depends on if you are looking at the GT (non-turbo) or GT-R and Sig (turbo). Turbo would of course be different, however the non-turbos are slower than the 2016 as the newer CX-5's are heavier. The tradeoff with that heavier weight though is a much quieter cabin. Ride might be a little smoother on the newer ones as the ride is softened up just a bit from the raw feeling of the Gen 1. While not for me, many seem happy with that, along with the nicer interior of the Gen 2's.

I believe it is different, yes. Best bet is to just go test drive one.

The "raw feeling" of the 2016 is one of the primary reasons I chose the CX-5 over the other compact SUV's I test drove four years ago (CRV, Rogue, Rav 4, Jeep).
After test driving a 2019 GT today I agree with you that some of the 2016's "raw feeling" is no longer there, but my guess is that the 2019 CX-5 still has a sportier-more responsive handling feel than do the current model CRV, Rogue, Rav 4, or Jeep compact SUV's.

I went from 2014 GT to 2018 GT, love it but:
Seats are WAY better on the 2018...
2018 is 2 inches wider inside.
Stereo is WAY better in 2018.
2018 is WAY quieter.

But:
2018 is WAY slower...like WAY
2018 tranny shifts WAY more lazy.
The 2014 tranny ALWAYS shifted where I would have on a manual.
2018 blind spot monitor is way to easily set off...like way way to easily.
2018 paint seems to scratch just looking at it.

So? GET the TURBO model in AWD!

What in particular do you like more about the 2018 seats versus the 2014 seats ? Thanks.

I drove a leased '15 Grand Touring for 3 years. End of lease I considered keeping it as it was a pretty nice car. I moved up from a '91 Mazda B2600i 2WD Cab Plus pickup. I decided to go with the new generation 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring, also leased. Glad I did. My '15 had only 15k miles.

While the '15 was pretty good, the '17 and later were quite improved. Why? The new model is MUCH quieter. The smart cruise control feature is a HUGE improvement over the earlier version. I prefer the LED headlights over the HID headlights. Audio in the '17 is a bit better with the pillar-mounted tweeters. Auto-lift rear hatch is also much appreciated.

Back