Tips for teens

Cellerator

:
2012 Mazda 3i Skyactiv Hatchback
Any of you older guys have any type of advice you want to give to teens that you wish you had when you were younger?

Dont be such a douche bag to your parents. And 10 Years from their current age none of the drama will even matter.

Yea I have some tips, I am not old, but not a teen anymore either...

1)Treat your parents with as much respect as you possibly can.

2)Don't lie to your parents, seriously! Honesty goes a loooooong way!

example. When I was a teen, if I was going to be going to a party, I would tell my mother and father where it was, and when I might be back, and what I was going to be doing! They let me go, they just wanted to know what I was doing in case something happen.

3)When you are living at home, CHECK IN! If you are out and about, give em a call and say "hey this is whats going on." takes 5 mins maybe!

4)Don't do drugs....that good ol sorta of deal.

5) Help out around the house as much as possible!

6)If you have some extra money, offer to take THEM out for a night, movies...dinner, things like that! Odd sounding, yes?? But it helps with your relationship with your parents.

7)Try and find a project that you and your father/mother can spend sundays or saturdays doing! For myself and my dad is was working on the Camaro, and playing some video games in a competitive manner. Smack talk...all that good stuff.

One last tip! Try and live at home as long as you can, cause living on your own having to pay your own rent...all that good stuff sucks, unless you have lots of money.

p.s. When you are out on your own, and get in a bind if you have treated your parents well and have a good relationship with them they will be a lot more likely to help you out of that bind!!!

NUFF SAID

AndrewF150 said:
Yea I have some tips, I am not old, but not a teen anymore either...

1)Treat your parents with as much respect as you possibly can.

example. When I was a teen, if I was going to be going to a party, I would tell my mother and father where it was, and when I might be back, and what I was going to be doing! They let me go, they just wanted to know what I was doing in case something happen.

3)When you are living at home, CHECK IN! If you are out and about, give em a call and say "hey this is whats going on." takes 5 mins maybe!

4)Don't do drugs....that good ol sorta of deal.

5) Help out around the house as much as possible!

6)If you have some extra money, offer to take THEM out for a night, movies...dinner, things like that! Odd sounding, yes?? But it helps with your relationship with your parents.

7)Try and find a project that you and your father/mother can spend sundays or saturdays doing! For myself and my dad is was working on the Camaro, and playing some video games in a competitive manner. Smack talk...all that good stuff.

One last tip! Try and live at home as long as you can, cause living on your own having to pay your own rent...all that good stuff sucks, unless you have lots of money.

p.s. When you are out on your own, and get in a bind if you have treated your parents well and have a good relationship with them they will be a lot more likely to help you out of that bind!!!

NUFF SAID

VERY WISE WORDS

AndrewF150 said:

Sometimes it doesn't matter how honest you are, some parents just won't trust you no matter what. My parents are cool, but I have seen some crazy overprotective parents that really have some control issues - and the kids have nothing to do with it, no matter how good they are.

-Go with your gut

-Travel Internationally as much as you can - not like a tourist or just in a cruise that hops around - really get into an area and try to get a feel of how it is to live there, mingle with the locals, absorb the culture.

-Don't play games with people's feelings

-Drop the facade, just be yourself - the sooner you find it the faster you'll grow up

cbcbd said:
Sometimes it doesn't matter how honest you are, some parents just won't trust you no matter what. My parents are cool, but I have seen some crazy overprotective parents that really have some control issues - and the kids have nothing to do with it, no matter how good they are.

-Go with your gut

-Travel Internationally as much as you can - not like a tourist or just in a cruise that hops around - really get into an area and try to get a feel of how it is to live there, mingle with the locals, absorb the culture.

-Don't play games with people's feelings

-Drop the facade, just be yourself - the sooner you find it the faster you'll grow up
Those are some very good tips too! Back packing like in europe or another country is cool if you can afford it!

Mess around a bit, but don't be stupid.

And no matter what you may think, the person you are at 16 is nothing like what you'll be like when you are 21.

Try to sample as much as you can, culturally and in education. It'll help you figure out who you are.

katya4me said:
Mess around a bit, but don't be stupid.

And no matter what you may think, the person you are at 16 is nothing like what you'll be like when you are 21.

Try to sample as much as you can, culturally and in education. It'll help you figure out who you are.

hell 16-19 was enough of a difference to me, i've learned alot in those 3 years

1) Listen to older people including your parents and learn from their mistakes instead of making them yourself.
2) Your friends and family are more important than anything else, don't let little disputes ruin relationships.
3) Find out what you enjoy doing early and see how you can make a living doing it.
4) Find something to get you through High School and into college (Grades, Sports, Music, Arts, etc) and stick to it.
5) When you get to college don't asume that your work is finished...your next goal is to get a job. Seek out ways to gain experience in your field before graduation (internships, co-op, volunteer, etc)
6) Drugs and Alcohal are going to tempt you but they will remove your focus from accomplishing steps 1-5.

Don't do drugs... You might forget most of your teen years..ummm... nothing from experience though.

AndrewF150 said:
Those are some very good tips too! Back packing like in europe or another country is cool if you can afford it!

Backpacking through Europe can be done with little to no money :)

jersey_emt said:
Backpacking through Europe can be done with little to no money :)
I meant for the plane/boat ticket. When I wanted to do it the plane ticket was like 1500 bucks, although I am sure it is much cheaper now.

You're not a good driver at 16, even though they give you a liscense.

No matter how cool you think you are in high school, that s*** doesn't transfer to anything in the real world. Most of these "cool" people serve my pizzas and fix my plumbing.

lol, Hump every girl that'll let you. :D
This is all you need to know.

Better to regret the things you have done, than to regret the things you haven't done

AndrewF150 said:
Backpacking Europe used to be cheaper, but it's still doable very cheap especially with many people. Besides, travelling internationally doesn't mean only hitting Europe. In many ways Europe is like the US and many americans will only stick to 1st world countries or follow a tourism path that puts you way above the majority of the population (kind of like staying in a resort in Jamaica and not leaving the resort). There is always Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Asia, etc.

Im only 21 so Im didn't get too far off the boat, but the things that I have learned in the past few years would have been great to know back then.

After graduating high school do what YOU want to do. Many people told me this and I didnt really listen. I ended spending lots of money for college only to find out that it wasnt what I wanted. If you do go to college, STUDY YOUR ASS OFF. Have fun, but keep your grades up.

Try everything at least once.
Don't regret the things that you did, only the things you didn't.
Keep an open mind. Meet as many people as you can, friendships are invaluable.

Get some experience in the things that you think you like doing. I found out that some of the things that I enjoyed were not really that fun when you HAVE to do them everyday.<O:p</O:p

And remember, money doesnt mean a thing when your unhappy.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p(usa)</O:p

Last edited:
Back