Tips for teens

Gbourdon said:
Be careful with credit cards!
Very good one...I don't have any credit card debt but I know many who do. If you need money, go to a bank and ask for a loan. Putting something on a credit card when you don't intend to pay it off when the bill comes in is like paying twice the original amount of the item. Save your money and pay for the things you want with cash. If you don't have the cash, you can't afford it and you shouldn't be buying it. A high limit on a credit card is not free money...its a free ticket to paying off your debt for the rest of your life.

jersey_emt said:
Backpacking through Europe can be done with little to no money :)
my friend went to germany intending to stay for about 3 months with $5k...he only lasted like 3 weeks! all the youth hostels are always full so you end up having to stay in hotels alot

Stealth5 said:
my friend went to germany intending to stay for about 3 months with $5k...he only lasted like 3 weeks! all the youth hostels are always full so you end up having to stay in hotels alot
from my experience, its best to book your hostel in advance. there is a website for one company, hostels international?, that you can find hostels and make reservations for all around the world.

these aren't all mistakes I've made, but they are things teens should know

1. you love your parents more than anything until you are 14, then you hate them for 4 years, then you spend the rest of your life regretting the things you said to them. They expect you to be rebellious but don't treat your parents badly. It brings tears to my eyes when I think of the things i said to my parents and the way i treated them.

2. If you dont fit in with the coolest people, nothing you do will change this, sex and drugs included. When it comes down to it, why the hell would you want to be like them.

3. If you have a bad feeling about something, dont do it.

4. this one is for girls, Before you have sex, guys ask each other, "will she put out", after you have sex guys ask each other, "how long until she puts out"

5. Never be ashamed to ask for help

6. Nothing you are feeling is new. Everyone that has been where you are and has dealt with whatever it is that is bothering you. Suicide is the easy way out, you escape your problems, but your family and friends deal with them every day for the rest of their lives.

7. MOST IMPORTANT... IF YOU DONT READ ANYTHING ELSE READ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At every new phase of your life, ask yourself this one question, "What would I do if I knew I could not fail." I was a B and C student in high school, now I am a masters student at Johns Hopkins on a full scholarship.

go straight to college after high school! don't take a semester off because before you know it, it'll be 3 years and then you'll get your assocate of arts degree at 26 years old:(

Those are all good suggestions. I am in the boat about college. I am almost 21 and have no college. I really wished I would have chosen other paths but I am working full time to pay for my bills. Be wise and take your time with your car and your past times. Study Study study... You can go much farther with an education. There will be time for your passion of cars in the future when you have more money ;)

smithers_0990 said:
After graduating high school do what YOU want to do. Many people told me this and I didnt really listen.

And remember, money doesnt mean a thing when your unhappy.
[/<o =""></o>QUOTE]

jophus14 said:
go straight to college after high school! don't take a semester off because before you know it, it'll be 3 years and then you'll get your assocate of arts degree at 26 years old:(

Everyone told me to go to college and I did what i wanted to and have learned a lot about myself and don't regret one bit. first think i learned was working in an office is 999999999999% not for me. personally i liked working for a water company in CA (how many people do you know that at 19 could keep 17 wells and drinking water for 20k people safe, plus run a backhoe), hated working in an office in KY, and love construction/framing in FL/GA (started that ever since i was 3-4)

That may be me at 26 but atleast i'll be doing something i like and not what everybody else says to do.

Last edited:
jophus14 said:
If only I knew then what i know now.
I'm 3 years out of school and now have no idea what i want to do with my life anymore.

Most importantly do what makes you happy, not what makes your buddies happy, don't be afraid to say "no thanks" "thats okay" or thats not how I do things.

Iceman112k3 said:
If only I knew then what i know now.
I'm 3 years out of school and now have no idea what i want to do with my life anymore.

Most importantly do what makes you happy, not what makes your buddies happy, don't be afraid to say "no thanks" "thats okay" or thats not how I do things.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Iceman112k3 said:
Hell yeah.

txrxs said:
You're not a good driver at 16, even though they give you a liscense.

No matter how cool you think you are in high school, that s*** doesn't transfer to anything in the real world. Most of these "cool" people serve my pizzas and fix my plumbing.
(lol)

That is so so so so so so so so so damn true! There isn't one exception from my high school. Every kid that was "popular" and in the "in crowd" in high school ALL are pumping gas or flipping burgers.

I on the other hand was a floater in school, never had a group I stuck with. Was the "nerdy computer geek" well now I am doing pretty well for my self, and starting a family at 21.

Every time I see someone that was "popular" in high school, I just laugh than say thanks for making my burger.

1) Respect your elders. Seriously: they know more than you think.
2) A little bit of charm and a polite attitude will REALLY take you places. Don't believe you have to "keep it real" or any such bulls***.
3) Seriously, adults are pretty smart.
4) Consider the fact that one day you will not be in school.
5) Speaking of school, remember that we teach you for a reason, not just to ruin your day (Yes, I'm a teacher)
6) BIG ONE: Remember to relax, and not make big deals out of things that aren't. Have some fun with life.
7) You are not invincible. Drugs, sex, drinking are all okay in moderation. Know you limits, and don't be stupid.

Last edited:
SpicyMchaggis said:
wear a rubber.
Dammit, you beat me to it...but I think it is worth repeating. ALWAYS wear a rubber.

Fortunately I had no accidents as a teen, but a few scares. The scares alone are enough to take a few years off your life. I still get knots in my stomach thinking back to those tortuous episodes.

And yes, if at all possible go straight to college from hs. The longer you wait, the more tempting 40-hour-a-week paychecks become. Besides, you can have a hell of alot of fun in college.

Back