Timing belt replacement on 1.8 (2.0) Proteges

Primo walkthrough. And for all the guys out there having trouble with that crank pulley bolt, an impact wrench (even an electric like the one i just bought (DeWalt, 345 ft.-lb.) with 300+ ft.-lb. will zip that thing off in literally two seconds, found that out yesterday :). Make sure you apply a good high-temp silicone sealant (I like the red Permatex) right next to the cams where the gasket on the cyl. head cover stops (technically, you should replace aforementioned gasket as well), very important, seems to be the only thing missing out of this write-up. Cheers indeed!

i had a 600ft/lb gun and it wouldn't take the crank pulley bolt off i finally had to go to harbor freight and get theight one with i think 940 ft/lb torque gun

So I'll be doing all this soon on my MSP... great info in here. I did this to my Miata a few years ago, so this should be somewhat similar. I've read through all the posts and it seems that the total price of this job is about $200? Below is a list of all the parts that I'm gonna get from rock auto, individual pieces all spelled out for anyone like myself to understand. Am i missing anything? This might be helpful to people doing this in the future too.

Water Pump
Water Pump Gasket
Timing Belt
Tensioner Pulley
Tensioner Spring
Idler Pulley
Valve Cover Gasket W/Grommets & Spark plug tube seals
Power Steering and Air Conditioning Belt
Water Pump and Alternator Belt

OPTIONAL ITEMS THAT I'M ALSO GETTING:
Camshaft Seals
Crankshaft Seal
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs

So anything I'm missing besides Coolant? Also I'll probably replace the thermostat while I'm in there.

All the items listed above price out to about $270 on rock auto...does this seem about right?

That sounds pretty close. Make sure you get a new water pump, not a used one.
Here's the kit I used. All of the brands were top tier. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I had to get a couple of better tools like a good long 3/8" ratchet with a swivel head. That helped in a couple of places.
Take off the cruise control diaphragm and the alternator is really easy to access.

Last edited:
Back