Time for New Rotors and Pads

dectk06

:
Mazda, MS3 Silver Sport
Hey guys,

My front brakes started squealing at 25k miles.

Got the brakes checked and found the following:

Front rotors were very close to the minimal thickness and the front pads were worn out, too - rear were just fine, btw.

The first solution was the following:

Since the OEM rotors are $140 a pop, the local Midas guy offered to turn the front rotors, in the hopes of getting away without getting new rotors, and put on some new brake pads, Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic. All for $200. He would not let me bring my own pads because of Midas warranty policy or whatever. I decided to take this option.

(I should've done some research and bought Hawk HPS or HP+ as they have good reviews. BTW, the stock front pads are $260!!!!!!!!)

The problem arises:

The car and the steering wheel shake like crazy. The problem now is that the rotors are too thin and are warping under heat. The guy offers to put new rotors on for free if I provide the rotors. Stock front rotors are $140 a pop.

$140 for a front, OEM rotor (one rotor) is pretty expensive for OEM, I think; therefore, I'm thinking of upgrading if the price difference is not too hefty.

My main questions is this:

The only aftermarket rotors I've found are Rotora Slotted rotors. Are they any good?

Will Rotora Slotted rotors match my Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic front rotors?

Will OEM rotors match my Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic front rotors (if i decide to go back to OEM on the rotors)?

An additional question, if you care to answer as this matter has been discussed before, is this:

I may upgrade the pads, too, now that I've discovered there are better options out there. Any preferences? Hawk HPS or HP+? EBC red stuff? My Posi-Quiet just don't have that STRONG initial bite of the OEM pads... I miss my OEM pads...:'(

Never Mind!!!

The OEM rotors are $100+tax, now.

What happened was this:

I called for a quote on the front rotor at the dealership. The guy tells me $140.
I look it up on the internet and find it for $100 ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE. I call back. The guys then says, "I can do that. I can do $100 a pop." I then ask him why he told me $140 at first, and he says, "It's the policy. My boss tells me to tell customers who do not know the web price the higher price."

Also, the guy at the dealership quoted $260 for the front pad set at first. I found it on THEIR WEBSITE for $190, and the guy says, "I can change the price to $190 for you."

A BIG WTF!

So I'm going with OEM rotors...

A moderator can close this thread, if so desired. Thanks.

Last edited:
My dealership always sends me coupons. One of them was,"We buy the pad, you pay for resurfacing and labor". When I asked the dealer, it ran no more than $200.

Protegegarage has a rotorpro package with stainless lines, 4 rotorpro rotors, HPS pads/Axxis ULT pads for 489 shipped. Imma go with this when the time comes.

Jeff

i just got my brakes done too.
i had 28k and the pads were down to nothing!! i put those suckers to work hard! anyhow, got the pads oem pads from the dealer $190. they used a micrometer to measure the thickness on the rotors, after they were shaved. still looking good. ill change the rotors on my next brake job. oh, labor was $100.

The OEM rotors are $100+tax, now.

What happened was this:

I called for a quote on the front rotor at the dealership. The guy tells me $140.
I look it up on the internet and find it for $100 ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE. I call back. The guys then says, "I can do that. I can do $100 a pop." I then ask him why he told me $140 at first, and he says, "It's the policy. My boss tells me to tell customers who do not know the web price the higher price."

Also, the guy at the dealership quoted $260 for the front pad set at first. I found it on THEIR WEBSITE for $190, and the guy says, "I can change the price to $190 for you."

A BIG WTF!

So I'm going with OEM rotors...

A moderator can close this thread, if so desired. Thanks.

I would change dealers just for that reason.

Wow. I have 26k on my car now and have had EBC Redstuff waiting to go on. I was having some front end work done and figured I would have the red stuff's thrown on real quick. When they pulled the calipers to pull the pads out I still have 13mm of pad left on each side. No where near time to replace. The Red Stuff were only $100 if I remember correctly. Not to pricey comparably.

I don't know if the Speed vehicles count, but according to Mazda if you have them change your brakes you get a lifetime warranty on them. Even if they wear out due to normal use, all you have to do is pay the labor to get new ones. It does not apply to rotors though.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=ownersWarranty#brakes

If the brake pads and/or shoes become damaged, defective, or worn out during the warranty period, they may be exchanged for new warranty-equivalent Mazda Genuine Parts or Value Products by Mazda brake pads or shoes.

I haven't seen an actual copy of this limited warranty agreement, so maybe there are clauses in the physical copy that exempt them out of replacing them in a lot of scenarios. But, from what is on their website it reads that if they wear out due to normal use you get free brake pads for the cost of labor.

how to check the pads?

Can anyone please post the link to How to check the pads to decide if they need to be changed.

Thanks

Can anyone please post the link to How to check the pads to decide if they need to be changed.

Thanks

just take your wheel off, look at the back of the caliper and there you should a slot that shows both sides of the brake pad with the rotor in between. I believe the service manual says the lowest you can go is 2-3mm, but you probably wouldn't want to go that low.

Last edited:
A BIG WTF!

First of all, EVERY THING IS NEGOTIABLE

Secondly, try it.

I asked for a price on a part at the local dealership and, before he looked it up, I said, "and could I please have a price a little better than MSRP?" He lowered the price by 30% immediately without further negotiation.

Back