Throttle body????????

Just asking because Iceman intakes is making a 65mm throttle body for the 3.
Check out the site...... price is $299. (2thumbs)

I hope their aware its an electronically controlled throttle. All the photos indicate cable driven TB's. Btw I think the stock is 60mm.

Badger Biker said:
The 2.0l Is a cable throttle body, however I believe.

ETB is only on the 2.3L engines, right?

Protege 2.0L, yes.

Mazda3 2.0L, no.

The Mazda3 2.0L engine is physically identical to the 2.3L engine. The only difference is the stroke, compression ratio, balance shafts and VVT.

Goldwing,

The 2.0L does have a cable driven TB!

IMG_0656low.JPG

Or maybe thats just the european version of the 3i. Someone should verify and make sure...cause all the TB's on the iceman site are cable driven...

Last edited:
Here's a pic from my car... it's a 2.0l GS. Doesn't quite look like the pic you posted, but I could be wrong?

Attachments

• DSCF0380.JPG
    DSCF0380.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 317
lol... now that I took a good look at your pic, I can see the cable. And it definately isn't on mine.

Ya yours is electronic. Thanks for the pic joe!

So that means the overseas (non usa/canada) have cable driven. So that begs the question. Which one did iceman make a replacement for? (Considering all the ones photoed on the site are cable driven).

Anyone feel like emailing iceman?

Crossbow and Joe

Crossbow: the picture you posted, is it of your car and if so where did you get it? That is for sure a TB cable.

Joe: where was your car bought? That is for sure a electronic TB

If they are infact both North Americian 2.0L and both on the 4dr base model... something is weird.

Loose said:
Joe: where was your car bought? That is for sure a electronic TB

Bought it here in canada. It's a 2.0l 4-door sedan, GS trim.

Hmmmm...

Guess the European market has a diffrent throttle body (not to over state the obvious) Odd though.

crossbow said:
I hope their aware its an electronically controlled throttle. All the photos indicate cable driven TB's. Btw I think the stock is 60mm.

I don't think the 2 throttle bodies are that much different. Our TB might even be easier to make since they might not have to maker the spring/arm for the butterfly.
Just unhook our electronics from the stock TB and install on the new TB.

This will be a great mod.....most likely will not provide any HP but the throttle response will be crazy.

Throttle response is dictated by the little electronic thingy AzMz3...not the throttle body itself. Replacing the throttle body with a slightly bigger one (possibly polished) would just allow for another reduction in intake restriction on the engine....which would then move onto the intake manifold as the next restrictive section (if you had a CAI).

According to the service manual, it also can't be disassembled. Any section which indicates inspection, and or removal of th electronic throttle says "replace throttlebody". (Not the specific component). There are also no torque specs, or instructions on how to remove the electronic control component, nor is it servicable.

So now I'm extremely curious as to how the iceman system works, and if its only for european spec 3's. So one of you 3 owners go email them already :).

THROTTLE ACTUATOR INSPECTION [L3]

NOTE:
  • Perform the following inspection only when directed.
Resistance Inspection
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the throttle body connector.
  3. Measure the resistance between the throttle actuator terminals using an ohmmeter.
    • If not as specified, replace the throttle body. (See INTAKE-AIR SYSTEM REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [L3] .)

Ok 2 questions...
1.) Can we confirm the tb for 6s is the same as 6i
2.)How hard would it be to convert over to cable other than locating part#s and getting a dealer to order them if they have a geographical block(U.S. dealers not being able to order O. Seas Parts) on them

is the only limitation of using a 6s tb trying to mount it to something or also would it not be plug and play after all that had work to retrofit(Hilbilly Rig(lol2) ) it on

The L3 and AJ throttle bodies are different. Whether they'd work swapped to the other car is anyone's guess.

As for converting to the cable system...you could never do it. You'd have to replace the entire pcm...otherwise the car would have a heart attack...not to mention you'd lose things like cruise control...

Back