Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

And this is why Im a big big fan of radar cruise control with stop and go function.
Its almost like the car drives itself.
Once I started using this, you can never go back. To me its a life changing experience:p
"Feel Alive"

Wow, no offense, but this is exactly what I needed to hear to turn me off to this brand completely. What a crock of a direction for the car brand that used to say "driving matters" and the customer now says "it drives itself".

Rip Mazda indeed

Got to test drive the cx-5 signature today. All by myself without the dealer next to me giving me any input. Went out for a descent drive, didn*t want to push the car too much since I*m sure it*ll be for a customer.
As noted before by others. It*s very nice. Engine has good punch and will have no troubles merging into a lane.
I LOVE the HUD! Full color with traffic sign recognition.
Heated steering, the best and must have for all north east drivers.
It was too cold to try the ventilated seats, but I*m sure it works well.
Climate control has a dedicated power button, instead of using auto or fan buttons to turn it on/ off.
Ambient Led lights under all seats. I*m sure this is great when driving at night, there*s a setting in the menus to set the different brightness levels.
Autofold mirrors, they fold when you lock the car and can also be folded while in the car by rotating the mirror button clockwise to 6 o*clock.
Backup, 360 view, front and side cameras. They all work as expected, just need to get used to it a bit. While driving you can press the *view* button located on the left side knee area and it*ll change the navigation screen to the front camera, from there you can press the middle command button to cycle through the different views (if I recall correctly).
All in all it*s an amazing car. Can*t wait to pick one up.

Nothing there that a UK Tiguan doesn't have.

Well if you enjoy being stuck in stop and go traffic and absolutely want to press your brakes /gas every other second, sure dont get this option. This is a luxury item not for the technologically challenged, and its offered in all high end models. Im very happy that this is offered in Mazdas.

Rofl! I so wish you could have posted this in 2015.

"Mazda drives itself"

Haha. So funny you say this.
I guess you must be against technological advancements and all cars that offer any type of automation.

From your comments I must guess every other high end manufacturers that offer this must be full of crock to you.

You know this is an option that you dont need to get. And if you do, no one is telling you to use it. Enjoy your car for how it drives.

Tell me again how this option that isnt required makes the car less fun to drive??

"Feel Alive"

Wow, no offense, but this is exactly what I needed to hear to turn me off to this brand completely. What a crock of a direction for the car brand that used to say "driving matters" and the customer now says "it drives itself".

Rip Mazda indeed

"Feel Alive"

Rip Mazda indeed

I think you took that comment way out of context. He was describing radar cruise control. Is manual cruise control adjustment that critical to the pure driving experience? Not to me.

If youre worried about Mazda losing its direction by incorporating tech on its cars, then prepare to be disappointed for the rest of your life because thats where the industry is going. Imagine being a Porsche superfan reading news about them developing electric cars, haha.

Last edited:
As mentioned if you LOVE being stuck in traffic which I guess you do. More power to you man. To me, this brings a lot of convenience to my daily commute.

You know what else is inconvenient? Driving. Just take an Uber. $34,999 is a s*** ton of ubering. Considering cars like the CX5 are not an appreciating asset, it may actually be worth it to crunch the numbers on what 5 years of Uber or Lyft would cost you for your daily communtes, and a rental for trips. No s***, you might actually save money, as after 3 years my CX5 is worth about $7500 dealer buy-back offer, and around $9500 trade-in to the Mazda dealer (Touring, 100K miles, AWD). I know I drive a lot, but I can't see you keeping more than $12,000 in value in your CX5 Signature after 5 years, absolute MAX. T hat's $23K worth of Uber/Lyft/Rental in 5 years. (not to mention insurance premiums that won't have to exist...at $100/mo, that's $1200/year, that's another $6k! So make it well over $30K. On, and the fuel...yeah...brother, you're bangin' on $35K easy!)

Do the math. You may not even have to drive AT ALL on a regular basis AND you could save money = THE ULTIMATE LUXURY!

I think you took that comment way out of context. He was describing radar cruise control. Is manual cruise control adjustment that critical to the *pure* driving experience? Not to me.

If you*re worried about Mazda losing it*s direction by incorporating tech on its cars, then prepare to be disappointed for the rest of your life because that*s where the industry is going. Imagine being a Porsche superfan reading news about them developing electric cars, haha.

Viper is still pretty raw. The ultimate driver's car. Only as late as 2013 did it even get traction control, I believe.

Wow much better retort than what I could come up with :) good job!

Some people just dont get it. Oh wells.

I think you took that comment way out of context. He was describing radar cruise control. Is manual cruise control adjustment that critical to the pure driving experience? Not to me.

If youre worried about Mazda losing its direction by incorporating tech on its cars, then prepare to be disappointed for the rest of your life because thats where the industry is going. Imagine being a Porsche superfan reading news about them developing electric cars, haha.

A little upset you are technologically challenged and cant use these high tech options? Its ok. Its not for eveyone maybe you never learned or experienced how to appreciate these features. Dont get offended dude. Uber everyday is cheaper than owning a car? Haha. Yeah sure it is!

You know what else is inconvenient? Driving. Just take an Uber. $34,999 is a s*** ton of ubering. Considering cars like the CX5 are not an appreciating asset, it may actually be worth it to crunch the numbers on what 5 years of Uber or Lyft would cost you for your daily communtes, and a rental for trips. No s***, you might actually save money, as after 3 years my CX5 is worth about $7500 dealer buy-back offer, and around $9500 trade-in to the Mazda dealer (Touring, 100K miles, AWD). I know I drive a lot, but I can't see you keeping more than $12,000 in value in your CX5 Signature after 5 years, absolute MAX. T hat's $23K worth of Uber/Lyft/Rental in 5 years. (not to mention insurance premiums that won't have to exist...at $100/mo, that's $1200/year, that's another $6k! So make it well over $30K. On, and the fuel...yeah...brother, you're bangin' on $35K easy!)

Do the math. You may not even have to drive AT ALL on a regular basis AND you could save money = THE ULTIMATE LUXURY!

Your numbers probably come out correct, but if we analyze things this deep life would be different..

1) why get married or have a gf if we could hit the strip bar. Saves money and headache.

2) why eat fancy food when we could eat potatoes everyday.

3) why have kids....

I think you took that comment way out of context. He was describing radar cruise control. Is manual cruise control adjustment that critical to the *pure* driving experience? Not to me.

If you*re worried about Mazda losing it*s direction by incorporating tech on its cars, then prepare to be disappointed for the rest of your life because that*s where the industry is going. Imagine being a Porsche superfan reading news about them developing electric cars, haha.

Yeah...perhaps I did.

I'm kinda weird. I work in IT, very successfully, and am involved with a lot of technology as a result and I love it. But at home, aside from my phone and self-built PC, I don't care to have all the gadgets like Alexa and what-not. My 60 year old mother has more techy crap in her house from the Alexas and smart lights, to other little gadgets and such than I do. Same feeling with my cars. I'd be scared to death to automate driving in a dense traffic situation personally. I guess for me, whether there is traffic or not, driving is something I can do that's fun, I can clear my mind, or focus it, brainstorm, listen to music and podcasts, etc. I'm 27, but I guess I am a bit old school in some respects. You're right I probably will be disappointed. I don't like to numb my driving experience. Again, I grew up with Jeeps, so guess I am of a different driving demographic than the luxury car buyers Mazda seems to be now. Oh well.

I guess driving is just my time to separate from that world and feel the raw, engaging enjoyment of driving.

I guess I took specific notice to that post because "it drives itself" is a far cry from what the customer base for Mazda would be saying a few years ago. Talk like that would be scoffed at. I understand the context better now, but still. "It drives itself" for the brand where driving supposedly matters. It's funny.

Last edited:
Got to test drive the cx-5 signature today. All by myself without the dealer next to me giving me any input. Went out for a descent drive, didn*t want to push the car too much since I*m sure it*ll be for a customer.
As noted before by others. It*s very nice. Engine has good punch and will have no troubles merging into a lane.
I LOVE the HUD! Full color with traffic sign recognition.
Heated steering, the best and must have for all north east drivers.
It was too cold to try the ventilated seats, but I*m sure it works well.
Climate control has a dedicated power button, instead of using auto or fan buttons to turn it on/ off.
Ambient Led lights under all seats. I*m sure this is great when driving at night, there*s a setting in the menus to set the different brightness levels.
Autofold mirrors, they fold when you lock the car and can also be folded while in the car by rotating the mirror button clockwise to 6 o*clock.
Backup, 360 view, front and side cameras. They all work as expected, just need to get used to it a bit. While driving you can press the *view* button located on the left side knee area and it*ll change the navigation screen to the front camera, from there you can press the middle command button to cycle through the different views (if I recall correctly).
All in all it*s an amazing car. Can*t wait to pick one up.

Thanks for a post that's actually on the topic. While I don't mind some off topic comments and as guilty as the next person at times, I didn't come here for conversations far and away not about the CX-5 and real car talk. This forum is showing me far too much "one up'smanship and talk far astray from Mazda CX-5's! Seems one must sift through a ratio of about 1 in 10 BS posts to read the CX-5 specific stuff. I will add that I'm on several other motorcycle and vehicle forums and this one is being dominated but a few people who feel the need to have the last word or bashing others comments back and forth-unlike I see anywhere else? Every forum has it's own flavor but this one, the highest traffic Mazda I could find is becoming a bit tedious. Can we talk CX-5's?
Rant over...

Last edited:
Remember, guys, Young is talking about commuting in [I assume] NYC/LI.
That is a far cry from "driving".(bang)
He's saying that MRCC relieves a lot of the stress and hassle from the commute, and it surely does. Nothing wrong with that.
When he goes for a fun drive, I suspect he's fully engaged.(drive2)

That said, the response he provoked with his choice of words is not surprising. :)

For the moment I just hope they (car manufacturers) will provide the opportunity to turn off tech if one wants. Adaptive cruise would be nice and to have all cars with smart locks will be great. I now approach my older CX5 and forget I have to fish around my pocket to unlock. I love a drivers car but in some cases I do like tech. The GTR is appealing to me. In two years when I look for a new car it will be interesting what will be available.

Its funny that people driving automatics are upset at MRCC. You can turn off MRCC, you can buy a base Sport without MRCC, you can buy a Mazda 6 sport manual without MRCC. The existence of MRCC should be down to market economics, # of users buying it and using it and may not mean "RIP Mazda". I am assuming CD has ripped out his regular cruise control module as well and never uses it at all - since he likes driving. Maybe he has ripped out his auto shifter and added a pedal - you know "since he likes driving".

You guys are bashing Mazda -with such arguments. Pretty weak and desperate.

Its funny that people driving automatics are upset at MRCC. You can turn off MRCC, you can buy a base Sport without MRCC, you can buy a Mazda 6 sport manual without MRCC. The existence of MRCC should be down to market economics, # of users buying it and using it and may not mean "RIP Mazda". I am assuming CD has ripped out his regular cruise control module as well and never uses it at all - since he likes driving. Maybe he has ripped out his auto shifter and added a pedal - you know "since he likes driving".

You guys are bashing Mazda -with such arguments. Pretty weak and desperate.

It's not an all or nothing thing. My comment more had to do with the customer attitude of "it drives itself" being an odd thing to hear for a brand like Mazda. But it makes sense, given their current direction. And with context, it makes sense in NYC. So I get that.

I don't really use my cruise control to be honest Kaps. I think I used it one time in 6 years.

As for Chris_Top_Her's "rip mazda" comment. It's the fact that you would never have said "it drives itself" with the old Mazda. So it is a RIP of old Mazda. Nothing more.

Your numbers probably come out correct, but if we analyze things this deep life would be different..

1) why get married or have a gf if we could hit the strip bar. Saves money and headache.

2) why eat fancy food when we could eat potatoes everyday.

3) why have kids....

Well, I kinda did that except I prefer a gf to a strip bar, but no on the marriage. No on the kids. I do like potatoes and when I cut, I use sweet potatoes a lot, because they are cheap, easy, and known content.

Back