Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

One thing I don't get is when people make a big deal about MPG when it's 35mpg vs 26mpg. When you actually run the #'s it's SO MINOR in the long term.

CX5 Turbo = 26mpg highway vs CRV = 35mpg highway

50,000 miles / 26mpg = 1923 gallons of fuel used @ $3.00 per gallon = $5,769
50,000 miles / 35mpg = 1428 gallons of fuel used @ $3.00 per gallon = $4,284

= $1,485 more in fuel after 50k miles of driving.

People spend $1,100 per year on coffee. Some actually spend $2,000 per year if getting fancy Starbucks.
So what's $1,500 in fuel after 50,000 miles of driving? Not much.

I would rather have a fun and fast vehicle than drive a boring appliance. I'll take the MPG hit.

Point taken but for those of us driving 25k+ per year I'm +750 (min) post tax dollars each year times 10, 20 years- invest that $ instead(most won't but..), compounded- it ends up being more than you think but effective range is also a big draw for many and I'll me too that one-)

One thing I don't get is when people make a big deal about MPG when it's 35mpg vs 26mpg. When you actually run the #'s it's SO MINOR in the long term.

People spend $1,100 per year on coffee. Some actually spend $2,000 per year if getting fancy Starbucks.

I would rather have a fun and fast vehicle than drive a boring appliance. I'll take the MPG hit.

Totally agree and have posted similar before. For people spending $30-40k on a car, it seems negligible.

Ive seen people argue about the inconvenience of more frequent fill-ups. Fair enough, but I also waste enough time to not care about extra 5 min stops at the gas station haha. For example, I read internet discussion boards about cars. ;)

Last edited:
I've been saving up for my next car since I paid off my 2011 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door. There's a lot of...strong opinions...on the last few pages, and to help with mutual understandings I'm going to put my whole thought process out there since maybe you'll disagree but be able to say, 'oh, well if those are his priorities, that makes sense.' Right now I'm leaning towards GT Reserve, falling back to Touring AWD with packages.

So with that in mind, I had a checklist:
- Midsize SUV (CUV too small, Large SUV too big and expensive)
- Android Auto is a must, and since that tech is pretty new, this also means...
- Almost exclusively new or 1 model year older.
- Depreciation isn't that important since 15 years/200k miles won't be worth much to begin with, so brands like Honda/Toyota aren't automatically given a head start here
- Leases are out because I'm looking to keep it for a while
- AWD because while Maryland isn't crazy snowy, it can get pretty weird with the 'Wintry Mix' and unsalted roads or thaw/freeze cycles, and while I plan to go winter tires with this purchase, a little extra insurance to keep things sure footed would be welcome.

VW Tiguan - Looks good, but i'm concerned with VW and electronics for longevity, and to me, the cost doesn't justify the value for their trims/packages. Pass.

I know you said "No" to a VW product, but did you look at or consider the Alltrack S, SE. I'm not a fan of the Tiger-Iguana marketing thing either and think it is the most rubbish item on the lot, but I am deep into wagons and the Golf Sport Wagen S with 4 motion and the Golf Alltrack are on my short list. My 14 yo GTI has performed well enough for me, reliability wise, that even 14 years later, I'm still considering their product despite recent public shifts in opinion.

The Alltrack has most of what you are looking for...
- AWD with different drive modes
- 6 year/72k mile warranty
- decent technology depending on trim S vs SE [$26k, $30k, (SEL) $36k]
- in 2nd MY going on third
- good quality materials on the inside
- 3 interior color choices on the S & SE
- rear seat vents
- panoroof on the SE (yes, some of them leak, but the problem has been ID's as bad metal work)
- fascinating colors, especially the Great Falls Green Metallic
- good VW community, passionate owners, and large aftermarket to help personalize and or maintain/improve car as owner sees fit
- DSG transmission is one of the best dual clutch automatics
- good MPGs as it is a car and not an artificially puffed up wagon like all of the cars you mentioned in your list because it IS a wagen and not pretending not to be one

...just saying; food for thought....

Depends a lot on if you're in the nest egg gathering or nest egg spending phase of your life... and how big your bank account is... and what your other expenses are... and what your attitude is....

"You can have it all". Or can you?

Im in good shape, financial speaking, but I'm looking to the future and a few friends of mine have strayed from the path and met unfortunate circumstances. Im personally going to keep my 2015 until it begins to worry me/do had stuff.

Totally agree and have posted similar before. For people spending $30-40k on a car, it seems negligible.

I*ve seen people argue about the inconvenience of more frequent fill-ups. Fair enough, but I also waste enough time to not care about extra 5 min stops at the gas station haha. For example, I read internet discussion boards about cars. ;)

Mainly its about logistics...can you make it through a state with high gas prices without stopping? Etc. I would love 600+mi per tank on trips.

I know you said "No" to a VW product, but did you look at or consider the Alltrack S, SE. I'm not a fan of the Tiger-Iguana marketing thing either and think it is the most rubbish item on the lot, but I am deep into wagons and the Golf Sport Wagen S with 4 motion and the Golf Alltrack are on my short list. My 14 yo GTI has performed well enough for me, reliability wise, that even 14 years later, I'm still considering their product despite recent public shifts in opinion.

The Alltrack has most of what you are looking for...
- AWD with different drive modes
- 6 year/72k mile warranty
- decent technology depending on trim S vs SE [$26k, $30k, (SEL) $36k]
- in 2nd MY going on third
- good quality materials on the inside
- 3 interior color choices on the S & SE
- rear seat vents
- panoroof on the SE (yes, some of them leak, but the problem has been ID's as bad metal work)
- fascinating colors, especially the Great Falls Green Metallic
- good VW community, passionate owners, and large aftermarket to help personalize and or maintain/improve car as owner sees fit
- DSG transmission is one of the best dual clutch automatics
- good MPGs as it is a car and not an artificially puffed up wagon like all of the cars you mentioned in your list because it IS a wagen and not pretending not to be one

...just saying; food for thought....

I'm willing to take a look, although I'm not that big of a fan of wagons for the most part, and I'm still skittish on the VW reliability given what I've heard of issues with GTI and Passat (I think?) in the early 2010s. It may be better now but I worry about that.

Also I'm tired of headlights aimed right in my rear view so it was a bit of a 'if you can't beat em join em' situation, so I'd want to not be in the line of fire for those SUV/truck headlights. Hopefully the ride height is there too.

Thanks for the option, I'll research more.

Last edited:

Gas prices are not a good indicator in USA. It's well known that gas taxes do not cover congestion, pollution, reduction in quality of life (less time spent with family and friends), infrastructure upkeep. Federal gas taxes have remained constant since 1993.
A german study came to a conclusion that ideal gas tax is 0.96 euros/liter. About$4.5 per gallon. This is only tax - adding fuel cost would give you$6.5~$7 in fuel prices. This is what Holland pays for fuel. Most first world nations pay similar prices. I am not saying this should be applicable to US but there is a lot of subsidizing going on.
You also forgot brakes, tires that will cost extra. Plus you need to account for all the time you are in city/traffic where a 2.5 and turbo are very similar. I think a sub 7 second time to 60 feels perfect unless you are semi/rural or take it to track. A 320i which will get 36 mpg seems perfect. Mazda3 as well.
My main reason for a fuel efficient car is I am not beholden to whims of OPEC. When Harvey hit gas was 3.50 here, up from 1.68 a year ago. That's a wild swing. So mid 30s FE means I have some protection against future price variance.

Im in good shape, financial speaking, but I'm looking to the future and a few friends of mine have strayed from the path and met unfortunate circumstances. Im personally going to keep my 2015 until it begins to worry me/do had stuff.

Yeah, when you're young, there's plenty of time for things to go wrong in lots of ways, more chances for s*** happens.
When you're older, there's less to worry about, if you're in decent health and circumstances. Life is likely to be more stable. Fewer variables, shorter future.
It's always wise to be frugal, one just has to set their priorities. Now vs the future.

Yeah, when you're young, there's plenty of time for things to go wrong in lots of ways, more chances for s*** happens.
When you're older, there's less to worry about, if you're in decent health and circumstances. Life is likely to be more stable. Fewer variables, shorter future.
It's always wise to be frugal, one just has to set their priorities. Now vs the future.

My goal is just to pay off everything but my house, which is fixed apr and only about 1100/mo, before i buy any more big ticket items like another vehicle.

Looked at the All track. It seems...OK, but nothing really jumps at me as something to get excited about. To me, exterior and interior seem bland, and again, for the cost of the SE vs Touring AWD, I think the touring has more for the money. It just doesn't jump out at me.

Re: MPG, my Mazda 3 was in service when gas was between $1.95-4.30 per gallon. It's also not just the cost - a few hundred a year is nothing to sneeze at - but also not trying to move too far backwards and trying to make better use of the resources we have. I get that do more and bigger means more fuel consumed and it's not apples to apples, but I'd like to at least try to be more aware of what I'm using.

A few hundred a year is something to sneeze at imo. Few generally assumed to mean 3... minimum. $300 \ 12 = $25 month. If $25 / month is impacting you negatively you probably should have bought a cheaper car.

Point taken but for those of us driving 25k+ per year I'm +750 (min) post tax dollars each year times 10, 20 years- invest that $ instead(most won't but..), compounded- it ends up being more than you think but effective range is also a big draw for many and I'll me too that one-)

Yeah, if I bought the RAV Hybrid, I'd save about $500/year. When my CX5 finally dies, I think I'll do the RAV Hybrid, pick up a clean 2 year old model. By then we will know if it is solid or has issues, and I can get it or not based on t hat. $500/year is kindof nice. It's not a BIG deal, but hey, it's half a house note per year.

It won't cost me anything in performance compared to my current CX5, it will give me 600mi range on road trips, and I love the look of it, plus the AWD will be even better. Hopefully it will be my last vehicle until I pay off the house and buy something stoopid.

I'm willing to take a look, although I'm not that big of a fan of wagons for the most part, and I'm still skittish on the VW reliability given what I've heard of issues with GTI and Passat (I think?) in the early 2010s. It may be better now but I worry about that.

Also I'm tired of headlights aimed right in my rear view so it was a bit of a 'if you can't beat em join em' situation, so I'd want to not be in the line of fire for those SUV/truck headlights. Hopefully the ride height is there too. Thanks for the option, I'll research more.

I hear you on the headlights right in the face...but that is where the mirror flip or self-dimming comes into play.

I can't speak for everyone, and of course, everyone has their own opinions on which car is best, but since 2004, 've been in the VW community and for the most part, things have been good. Ten years is a long time and history/performance then should not be applied to now.

What reliability issues did you hear about? Oil consumption? Coil packs? Transmissions? Turbo failure?

As far as good engine/bad engine, yes, VW has been a mixed bag of nuts over the years. My 1.8t (180hp) has been just fine. Here's the kicker, the engines they use here (North America) are also used around the globe and used in other VAG brand cars - Audi, SEAT, Skoda. If things were sketchy in the VW arena, they'd be sketchy all over the place too. Enthusiasts tend to speak/vocalize their issues louder than the average Joe.

I get VWs aren't everyone's cup of tea, or the best service dept experience, but I think their cars are fairly solid. The GSW/Alltrack are doing quite well and even the Alltrack SE can be had in a manual 6spd which is a rare thing and also hard to come by as it is a popular model among enthusiasts.

I hear you on the headlights right in the face...but that is where the mirror flip or self-dimming comes into play.

I can't speak for everyone, and of course, everyone has their own opinions on which car is best, but since 2004, 've been in the VW community and for the most part, things have been good. Ten years is a long time and history/performance then should not be applied to now.

What reliability issues did you hear about? Oil consumption? Coil packs? Transmissions? Turbo failure?

As far as good engine/bad engine, yes, VW has been a mixed bag of nuts over the years. My 1.8t (180hp) has been just fine. Here's the kicker, the engines they use here (North America) are also used around the globe and used in other VAG brand cars - Audi, SEAT, Skoda. If things were sketchy in the VW arena, they'd be sketchy all over the place too. Enthusiasts tend to speak/vocalize their issues louder than the average Joe.

I get VWs aren't everyone's cup of tea, or the best service dept experience, but I think their cars are fairly solid. The GSW/Alltrack are doing quite well and even the Alltrack SE can be had in a manual 6spd which is a rare thing and also hard to come by as it is a popular model among enthusiasts.

I can't recall 100%, I think I read about transmission failures and water pump/cooling issues, but again it was a while ago. I'd have to look it up again.

They look OK, and a friend owns an Audi wagon and it's quite nice and he likes it. Just not my cup of tea, I don't really get excited over it like I have with the CX5. My head always turns at the newer Mazdas. I hardly notice any VW.

My last car was a 97 Integra LS manual that finally was falling apart at 160k. I liked it, taught myself regular manual driving on that and managed to keep it on the original clutch. But my regular driving involves a fair amount of stop and go traffic even on highways during the work week, and the 2/3/4 shuffle (4 if lucky) was getting tiring. I do miss it at times, but not in traffic for 5/7 days a week. Maybe when I get to a point when I can have a fun car and a daily driver I'll end up with another manual, but so long as my wife may need to borrow the car, it's just isn't a good choice.

And yes, I gave her lessons and she was able to do a little manual driving, not stall frequently, and so on, but she was not comfortable taking it out on the road with any real traffic.

Got to test drive the cx-5 signature today. All by myself without the dealer next to me giving me any input. Went out for a descent drive, didnt want to push the car too much since Im sure itll be for a customer.
As noted before by others. Its very nice. Engine has good punch and will have no troubles merging into a lane.
I LOVE the HUD! Full color with traffic sign recognition.
Heated steering, the best and must have for all north east drivers.
It was too cold to try the ventilated seats, but Im sure it works well.
Climate control has a dedicated power button, instead of using auto or fan buttons to turn it on/ off.
Ambient Led lights under all seats. Im sure this is great when driving at night, theres a setting in the menus to set the different brightness levels.
Autofold mirrors, they fold when you lock the car and can also be folded while in the car by rotating the mirror button clockwise to 6 oclock.
Backup, 360 view, front and side cameras. They all work as expected, just need to get used to it a bit. While driving you can press the view button located on the left side knee area and itll change the navigation screen to the front camera, from there you can press the middle command button to cycle through the different views (if I recall correctly).
All in all its an amazing car. Cant wait to pick one up.

But my regular driving involves a fair amount of stop and go traffic even on highways

And this is why Im a big big fan of radar cruise control with stop and go function.
Its almost like the car drives itself.
Once I started using this, you can never go back. To me its a life changing experience:p

And this is why I*m a big big fan of radar cruise control with stop and go function.
It*s almost like the car drives itself.
Once I started using this, you can never go back. To me it*s a life changing experience:p

Rofl! I so wish you could have posted this in 2015.

"Mazda drives itself"

Back