Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

It was either CR or JD Powers.

I believe it was Infinity #1, Toyota #2 and Mazda #3.

2018016a.jpg

Maybe it was CR? I don't have a membership, but JDPower has Mazda as below average. Hard to believe CR would differ so greatly.

How can you not like this:

roa080118dpt-drives-rdx-02b-1533618656.jpg

(screwy)(screwy)(screwy)(screwy)(screwy)(screwy)(screwy)

No fake wood, bro! Fake wood is where it's at. This is so 2019. Not 2017 when fake wood was so 1980.

Also, how much chrome it got on the outside? Better be blingin'!

Yeah, I think Mazda does a terrible job of advertising. They should be screaming about the high reliability rankings and high crash test scores. They released the Mazda 6 and CX5 with the 2.5T and there is no press about it at all. Zero.

A good product requires no advertising.

A good product requires no advertising.

Disagree, sales of the CX5 have been relatively flat the last 2 months verses prior year. They need to tout their strengths more and cut the feel good crap from their advertising!

I took my test drive of a Signature yesterday. I really like it, felt good, and all the gadgets were nice. Now, to see what the 2011 Cx9 will pull for Trade value.

This may be, but a decent product can be perceived as a great product, with a little advertising...

And a lousy product can be perceived as a great product with a little advertising.

I've been saving up for my next car since I paid off my 2011 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door. There's a lot of...strong opinions...on the last few pages, and to help with mutual understandings I'm going to put my whole thought process out there since maybe you'll disagree but be able to say, 'oh, well if those are his priorities, that makes sense.' Right now I'm leaning towards GT Reserve, falling back to Touring AWD with packages.

I had decided on an SUV since 2012 or so, when I realized that if I wanted to go camping more frequently without playing tetris with the back seat/trunk, and eventually carry a kid around with some gear, so I'd need something a bit larger. I enjoy the handling of my Mazda3 and want to still enjoy the road when I'm driving, so I want something more than an econobox to do it in. I'm a big nerd, I love technology and dislike both the stagnation of some factors ('Infotainment') as well as pushing bleeding edge tech that's flawed overall (automatic braking gone wild). I went to a friend's wedding last year in Florida, decided to splurge from sedan to SUV, and ended up in a Ford Edge Titanium. It was bordering on too big for me, but was still nice. Android auto was a game changer though, being able to say what I wanted for music or calling was preferable to a touch screen or dial. I mean, there won't be any software upgrades for the built in head unit for a car, while my phone gets regular software updates and potentially a new phone every 3-4 years! I'm looking to hold on to the car for 10-15 years, so I don't care about depreciation since a 15 year old car at 200k isn't going to sell/trade for much anyways.

So with that in mind, I had a checklist:
- Midsize SUV (CUV too small, Large SUV too big and expensive)
- Android Auto is a must, and since that tech is pretty new, this also means...
- Almost exclusively new or 1 model year older.
- Depreciation isn't that important since 15 years/200k miles won't be worth much to begin with, so brands like Honda/Toyota aren't automatically given a head start here
- Leases are out because I'm looking to keep it for a while
- AWD because while Maryland isn't crazy snowy, it can get pretty weird with the 'Wintry Mix' and unsalted roads or thaw/freeze cycles, and while I plan to go winter tires with this purchase, a little extra insurance to keep things sure footed would be welcome.

Started doing comparisons in the last year or so. Bear in mind this list is only from research ahead of time and not with any time behind the wheel for all but one.

CPO lux is out of my list because of lack of android auto, initial cost of repairs/maintenance.

Nissan Rogue - CVT, soulless, unimpressive. Cheap, maybe? Doesn't suit my style. Hard Pass.
Subaru anything - CVT, history of transmission issues, overall questionable reliability. Maybe if I lived in Alaska? BUT ITS A SUBARU, they say. Hard Pass.
2018 Toyota Rav4 - Good MPG, OK performance, not that exciting...no android auto and no plans to do so? WHAT? Hard Pass.
VW Tiguan - Looks good, but i'm concerned with VW and electronics for longevity, and to me, the cost doesn't justify the value for their trims/packages. Pass.
Hyndai Tuscon - Looks good, 100k warranty is enticing, but DCT and Turbo have early issues, and seems to be middle of the pack. If that changes in the future, though...Soft pass.
Chevy Equinox - Nice space, but uninspired interior, some infotainment issues...you're charging HOW MUCH for the 2.0T? Even though I could get a family discount because my father-in-law is a retired union rep, I'm not looking to play those games. Maybe if it was a better value and when bugs are worked out. Soft pass.
Ford Escape - Base engine is lacking, 2.0T expensive and requires premium fuel, hasn't been updated in forever. Pass, let's see what the redesign looks like in the future.
Jeep Cherokee - You're charging how much for what? Really? Oh, it's a JEEP, that's why. Ok then. Hard pass.
Buick whatever it is - Oh, you mean a chevy. Pass.
GMC whatever it is - Oh you mean a chevy. Pass.
Kia - I really don't know enough, but nothing was drawing me to this. Coworker had a problem with their AWD juddering and vibrating in the cabin in snow and they said it was normal. But that's an anecdote. Just nothing at this point when looking to other options. Soft pass, I need to do more due diligence here.
Dodge Journey - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Mitsubishi Outlander - Oh man my sides!
Ford Edge - this wouldn't have been on my list to begin with, except I had driven it, and kind of liked it. MPG is low, options were pricey, overall out of the price range, but there's an irrational attachment because that's the first SUV I ended up driving for more than a minute and it was kind of nice. Hadn't heard of TOO Many problems with the Edge, but overall, still too many strikes against it. Pass.

That leaves two contenders around the start of this year:
2018 Honda CRV - Yeah it's CVT but regarded as the best CVT there is, good MPG. Android Auto. Potentially not as spirited but good 0-60 numbers, and people seemed to be happy. Possible turbo lag? Would need a test drive to see since I've never felt turbo lag before, but this could be nice in EX or EX-L. Touring offers too little for too much.
2018 Mazda CX5 - Less space than competition but still sufficient, lower MPG but still close enough to my 2011 Mazda3 that it's not a big deal. Good tech and packages. Android Auto SOON*. Lots of positive reviews for performance, even if paper numbers don't look as impressive. Would need a test drive to see for myself. If it had android auto, this would be good. Still some time on the clock before i'm ready to purchase, so i'll have this as my runner up. This would be nice in Touring. GT is a bit expensive, not sure about wanting that for leather, but the tech package? HUD? That's kind of sexy, and I'd probably be irrational about that. I might be willing to tighten my belt a bit for a while to go all out here but keep my payments low.

A few things changed since then. A friend of mine bought the 2018 CX5 Touring AWD, and I had a chance to ride around in it. Comfortable in front seat and back. Didn't seem to have low performance as a passenger, but those things are different when driving anyway. My buddy is really happy with it, and he got a good deal when looking at the pricing thread.

2019 Toyota Rav4 - Good MPG, Performance TBD, initial impressions are better than 2018...but still no android auto? Maybe in the future? Could I get an upgrade? Probably not. Pass. In the future? I'd re-evaluate.
2020 Ford Bronco announced - Probably will be too much, probably too far off in the future. Soft Pass.
2019 Chevy Blazer - Huh. That's interesting. Chevy V6 seems to be fairly solid from what I know. But that's also the first model year, and my wife's 2011 Cruze did plenty to make me wary of Chevy's first attempts. Will probably cost too much though, but I'll look into this more when its in the wild. Packages will probably be annoying here too. Undetermined.
2018 Honda CRV - Yo dawg, i heard you liked fuel, so i put fuel in your oil so you can gas up while you lubricate. Oh and did I mention these heating issues? I mean the forums did because Honda sure didn't, and still don't, and say that's normal. There's a fix but it might work or doesn't work? HARD PASS.

2019 Mazda CX5 - Android auto you say, for real now? 2.5T on new trims, on 87? Folding mirrors? IS THIS REAL LIFE? I mean I'd still need to try it out. MPG takes a hit and puts it under my 2011 Mazda 3 but overall it's not MUCH worse. If it's fun and quick enough that would be a reasonable compromise for MPG. Either way the storage is bigger than what I have now. Touring AWD would still be the minimum here. But if I'd even bother to look at a GT with Tech for the HUD, why not save for a bit more, let prices settle or wait for a good deal, then get the Reserve with the 2.5T? Signature is still too much for too little for me, the 360 camera idea is nice but I don't think it's worth it. I'm already going past what I had intended to spend at the start of 2018 if I went with GT, so there'd definitely have to be some justification and I'd have to put it off a little longer. It could be worth it. It's lux-like while still having the factors I want. I'd have to talk myself OUT of getting a CX5, instead of trying to talk myself INTO getting it.

More may change tomorrow. At this point the CX5 is the only thing on my list. I'll re-evaluate the 2019 Tuscon and try to learn more about the Kias, and try to give the 2019 blazer/equinox a fair shake but the only vehicle that is exciting to me at this point is the CX5. At the very least Touring AWD. At the most, Reserve, preferably in Blue Mica. A think a test drive of both and shopping around for a deal would make the determination between the value for me. Purchase would probably be in August 2019. If I have more house issues the purchase would be pushed out further - this was a bad year for rain and the roof and basement both impacted my savings and purchase schedule, but that's what savings is for.

Does anyone know if the CX-5 Signature model in Canada will have the surround view camera?

I have been to 2 different local dealers, both who only got the same model 2019 CX-5 GT Turbo in as their demo (from what I can tell they gave all dealers in Canada one red GT turbo to demo until they arrive here in January), and it only has the standard backup camera. They have told me that the Signature models in Canada won't have the surround view camera because it's not listed on their spec sheets nor the Mazda Canada website. However, I find this really hard to believe since EVERYWHERE else, the 2019 CX-5 Signature has the camera. And the Mazda 6 here in Canada has the surround view camera (2018 model). I thought the whole point of the Signature CX-5 was to take the engine, camera, and nice interior upgrades from the 2018 Mazda6 signature model? So why would it be missing this one key feature only in Canada?

Can anyone confirm this? I know the camera is poor quality anyway, but I have one on my car right now and I just feel that for $40K it should have the same surround camera I've come to enjoy on my 3 year old Nissan Rogue...

Thanks to anyone who can provide any info :)

Last edited:
One thing I don't get is when people make a big deal about MPG when it's 35mpg vs 26mpg. When you actually run the #'s it's SO MINOR in the long term.

CX5 Turbo = 26mpg highway vs CRV = 35mpg highway

50,000 miles / 26mpg = 1923 gallons of fuel used @ $3.00 per gallon = $5,769
50,000 miles / 35mpg = 1428 gallons of fuel used @ $3.00 per gallon = $4,284

= $1,485 more in fuel after 50k miles of driving.

People spend $1,100 per year on coffee. Some actually spend $2,000 per year if getting fancy Starbucks.
So what's $1,500 in fuel after 50,000 miles of driving? Not much.

I would rather have a fun and fast vehicle than drive a boring appliance. I'll take the MPG hit.

One thing I don't get is when people make a big deal about MPG when it's 35mpg vs 26mpg. When you actually run the #'s it's SO MINOR in the long term.

People spend $1,100 per year on coffee. Some actually spend $2,000 per year if getting fancy Starbucks.

I would rather have a fun and fast vehicle than drive a boring appliance. I'll take the MPG hit.

Yes. And to expand that thought, if you drive about 10k/yr, that's less than $1/day.

I was going to say this. On my CX-5 I'm getting between 270-300 per tank. That is not a lot and with the amount of miles I drive I'm going to the gas station at least twice a week. It's pretty annoying.

Yeah a 15.3-gal gas tank is pretty small for a vehicle with 22/27/24 city/highway/combined EPA MPGs. I hope Mazda can squeeze some more space for bigger gas tank, like CX-5 AWD has 0.5-gal bigger gas tank than FWD CX-5 even though theres more plumbing in the area!

over 36 fillups this past year on a '16 AWD, I've averaged 311 miles when at the pump.

high distance: 371 miles on the down leg of a road trip in June

low distance: 200 miles in January

averaged 26.18 mpg traveling 11,197.4 miles using 427.93 gallons

low mpg:18.3 mpg (same as the 200 mile tank in Jan)

High mpg: 31.6 mpg (on the "up" leg of the road trip in June)

Money spend on beers or at the strip bar.

Depends a lot on if you're in the nest egg gathering or nest egg spending phase of your life... and how big your bank account is... and what your other expenses are... and what your attitude is....

"You can have it all". Or can you?

I've been told the same as you that in Canada, the 360 degree view will not be available on the Signature. Very little on the Mazda Canada website and the overall specs they sent to the dealers does not mention it. Only way to tell is to wait it out until they start rolling in to the dealers to get the definitive answer.

Does anyone know if the CX-5 Signature model in Canada will have the surround view camera?

I have been to 2 different local dealers, both who only got the same model 2019 CX-5 GT Turbo in as their demo (from what I can tell they gave all dealers in Canada one red GT turbo to demo until they arrive here in January), and it only has the standard backup camera. They have told me that the Signature models in Canada won't have the surround view camera because it's not listed on their spec sheets nor the Mazda Canada website. However, I find this really hard to believe since EVERYWHERE else, the 2019 CX-5 Signature has the camera. And the Mazda 6 here in Canada has the surround view camera (2018 model). I thought the whole point of the Signature CX-5 was to take the engine, camera, and nice interior upgrades from the 2018 Mazda6 signature model? So why would it be missing this one key feature only in Canada?

Can anyone confirm this? I know the camera is poor quality anyway, but I have one on my car right now and I just feel that for $40K it should have the same surround camera I've come to enjoy on my 3 year old Nissan Rogue...

Thanks to anyone who can provide any info :)

Back