Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Last edited:
I guess my point was that there are fewer options shown in the 2023 owner's manual than what was shown in post #63. I don't know what model was shown in post #63.

I guess my point was that there are fewer options shown in the 2023 owner's manual than what was shown in post #63. I don't know what model was shown in post #63.
The oil viscosity chart in post #63 is from European (UK) CX-5 owner’s manual.

It’s still the same like previous model years. For the 2.5L NA, 0W-20 in US and Canada; 5W-30 in Mexico. For the 2.5T, 5W-30.

All other viscosities discussed above (xW-20、xW-30) are listed on the owner’s manual used in other regions other than the USA.

Correct, the 23 owners manual is the exact same as the 19 owners manual on this subject.

0w20.png

5w30.png

Last edited:
I switched to Idemitsu 5W-30. I wish Mazda would have a digital readout of oil pressures. That way you can see the oil pressure with the different grades of oil. In summertime, with AC on, lots of highway driving, I bet that oil pressure is lower with 0W-20 than it would be with 5W-30. As oil heats up, it thins out.

Idemitsu.jpg

depends on the oil manufacturer :)
good 0w20 oil is no worse than cheap 5w30.
To me frequent oil changes is more important for our engines. Plus if you are not having a Turbo there is not so much strain on the oil.
and btw this Idemitsu is on the thin side for 5w30.

Think I'll switch to Mobil1 0w-30 after my next fill of Mazda Moly oil. Then all 3 of my cars will be using the same oil, so I'll only need to keep one oil type on hand for top-ups.

To me frequent oil changes is more important for our engines. Plus if you are not having a Turbo there is not so much strain on the oil.
Since you mention it, I seem to remember the Idemitsu 5/30 being on the thin side. I had 2 jugs picked up from AutoZone on closeout. I've been running the Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5/30 (basic black label-- non of the more exotic, more expensive ones) and it seems decent.
** If anybody wants to try a 5/30 that's on the thick side of the viscosity range, it's Quaker State Full Synthetic (I ran it 2-3 times and decided it was a bit too thick for my liking). On the subject of motor oils here, not to ruffle any feathers here but Castrol Edge 0/20 was unimpressive. Just like other Castrol formulations I tried in earlier years, it turns dark quicker and actually looked kinda nasty after 4000 miles compared to other oils. And it wasn't cleaning out gunk because my engine is clean. I'm sure it lubricated just fine, just didn't like it. Stuff seemed pretty thin too. One oil I used in a previous car and may try again after accumulating many more miles on the CX-5, is Valvoline Maxlife. Thought it was decent oil , just like their transmission fluid. JMO

I used to run MaxLife 5-30 in my first car, an 89 Camry, before getting my Integra in 2001. May have run it for a short time in that car also, but then soon after switched to Mobil1 full synthetic 0w-30 for that car in the early-mid 2000's. Been using that ever since. Also run it in my 2000 Miata.

GDI engines are tough on oil, particularly the 0w-20. I think it's a poor manufacturer choice for engines. The only reason for this weight is CAFE standards, nothing else.

GDI engines are tough on oil, particularly the 0w-20. I think it's a poor manufacturer choice for engines. The only reason for this weight is CAFE standards, nothing else.

That's why I was so surprised after I switched. The 2.5 is both a GDI and high compression ratio engine. I was annoyed I ran that thin oil for 3 years which is why I say it is a Day 1 upgrade. Negligible difference in fuel economy as well which is in the 24-25 range. I care more about the engine sound than the very small difference in fuel economy.

Toyota (a much larger company that sells a lot more heavy trucks and SUVs) uses 0W-16 and 0W-8 on some efficiency focused models. Not really relevant.

Toyota also endorses a 10,000 mile oil change (seriously) to save substantial money on their "ToyotaCare" so they only have to pay for two oil changes instead of three.

Negligible difference in fuel economy as well which is in the 24-25 range. I care more about the engine sound than the very small difference in fuel economy.
Exactly.
Unless you measure gas mileage in a controlled environment, or even in a lab, I doubt very much that the difference in mpg is measurable given normal and infinitely variable driving situations and conditions.
Varying weather conditions, traffic, driving style etc make it virtually impossible to accurately measure the minuscule difference in mpg you might get from using 0W20 versus 5W30.
Just make your car happy and switch to 5W30.

Is not the OEM Mazda oil made by Idemitsu?

If the 5w-30 Idemitsu is on the "thin" side of 5w-30, it still has to be thicker than 0W-20 in order to qualify as 5w-30. Main thing is that it is full synthetic and Idemitsu is a well respected oil manufacturer. I am sure it is a quality oil.

dont worry. The oil is good even if its on the thinner side. And if you dont have Turbo and dont live in the desert :)

Back