Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

In North America yes. I think its written on the bottles if I recall. Excellent oil. Better than some 5w30 even.

"Better" is subjective. ;) Better for 1 extra mpg, yes, better for a quiet drive, no. Regardless of brand, like you said in post #5, 0W-20 "drains like pure water". I hadn't even considered that point when I switched, but it is very true. At the end of the oil change interval with 0W-20 it is visually evident that the oil is completely worn out. Much prefer the way 5W-30 has held up over the oil change interval.

I would say that objectively it's not better because it doesn't meet the latest specs. The best oil will be ILSAC GF-6A and API SP rated.

API said:
Introduced in May 2020, designed to provide protection against low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), timing chain wear protection, improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, and more stringent sludge and varnish control. API SP with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-6A by combining API SP performance with improved fuel economy, emission control system protection and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

Last edited:
"Better" is subjective. ;) Better for 1 extra mpg, yes, better for a quiet drive, no. Regardless of brand, like you said in post #5, 0W-20 "drains like pure water". I hadn't even considered that point when I switched, but it is very true. At the end of the oil change interval with 0W-20 it is visually evident that the oil is completely worn out. Much prefer the way 5W-30 has held up over the oil change interval.
Not true. This is from a couple of years ago. 7k miles on the oil and viscosity is right where it should be and there are plenty of additives left

screenshot-2022-02-27-at-09-39-43-document-3-pdf-png.307854

Not true. This is from a couple of years ago. 7k miles on the oil and viscosity is right where it should be and there are plenty of additives left

screenshot-2022-02-27-at-09-39-43-document-3-pdf-png.307854

Well, that is just my impression based off the way the oil looks and drains. The remaining viscosity is perfectly acceptable, but it's lower to begin with and towards the lower end of the range once it's been used. Either oil will protect the engine properly over the rated oil change interval, which is why both oils are rated acceptable by Mazda for use in this engine. I really just prefer 5W-30 because it's so much better at insulating against engine/cabin noise. It's good to see that 0W-20 holds up well over 7,000 miles.

Last edited:
Interesting article from RockAuto newsletter here on why you should (maybe) not diverge from the recommended oil viscosity...

Attachments

• OilVisco.pdf
    449.5 KB · Views: 32
Interesting article from RockAuto newsletter here on why you should (maybe) not diverge from the recommended oil viscosity...
Yes, the engine is designed and manufactured based on their specified oil viscosity. But 5W-30 viscosity is also recommended by Mazda for 2.0L and 2.5L NA.

02F110A4-01A4-4747-B620-D71D0DF12C66.jpeg

CC6FECEC-47D7-42BC-B38C-06ECA1D64A1E.jpeg

Back