Suspension washer mod writeup/impressions

Matt V

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Alright guys, in some previous threads many people have been talking about noise issues after lowering their cars. The "washer mod" is something many members have mentioned. I'm here to show you how to do it if you're one of the lowered P5 owners who HASN'T done this. First off, go to Home Depot and buy these:

Washer1.jpg

You can find them in the nuts/washer area, they run $.98 each. I bought 3 packs (each one has 2) just in case. Now, go out to the car. The front is extremely easy to do. Get a 17mm wrench (I used a 4-way with a 17mm end) and break the nut that holds the strut mount on. DON'T WORRY, THE CAR WEIGHT KEEPS THE SUSPENSION COMPRESSED. Once you loosen the nut, completely get it off and open up a package of the washers you bought at Home Depot. Grab one washer and slide it on, put the nut back on and tighten it as much as you can. It will look like this when you're done:

Washer2.jpg

I have noticed a dramatic difference is noise over bumps. It no longer sounds clanky, sounds much more solid. I can't wait to do my endlinks all around and add the washers to the rear.

dont see why it wouldn't.lol as long as you can tighten down the top nut all the way onto the threads and not have any part untouched. Glad to see this trick worked for you. Like I mentioned before it is kind of a case by case thing. Some people don't need this, some due.

I would say it would be good to do anyway, you never know if it will start making noise one day.

good write up!

i do not have that noise but my rear strut mounts are worn and creak like theres no tomorrow when im going slow. it hasnt affected the alignment YET so i am just leaving it for the time.

I would say it would be good to do anyway, you never know if it will start making noise one day.

haha maybe :)
one day, its been exactly 1 year, 10 months and 27 days since its been installed.

but i'll see

what would happen if you increased the spacer (hight) that you used. would this improve any handling/ride quality?
luckly i dont have the clunk or any knocking

Today, I went to Home Depot and got 4 washers for 50 cents each and put those washers in front struts as fronts were easier.
One washer for each front struts top nut and tighten it. This resolved the issue and I am no more hearing the "thud" sound.

I noticed that initially the top nuts were really loose and I probably could have taken them out using my fingers only almost. I did tighten them yesterday but it became loose and hence the issue of thud sound

I may/ may not work on rear struts depending upon how does it look/sound with time but at-least we have an idea why is it happening.

Thanks a lot to all

what would happen if you increased the spacer (hight) that you used. would this improve any handling/ride quality?
luckly i dont have the clunk or any knocking

No. It just ensures the nut can tighten down properly.

NO performance gain, just quieter.

(Great post!)

I have the all-Tokico setup and I had to do this for the rear. I had a bad clunk without the washer out back.

Hell no! Deep socket with an extension. lol

did the rears but dont have time to drive out right now. When I go to the gym tonight ill see whats up. lol

Hell no! Deep socket with an extension. lol

did the rears but dont have time to drive out right now. When I go to the gym tonight ill see whats up. lol

didn't you have to use cresecent wrench to hold that metallic piece ?
simply deep socket with an extension did the trick on the struts nut ?

Back