Mazda5 Manual Transmission Crush Washer (Gasket) Size?

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
I can't be the only one needing to know this...but my search here came up empty.

So, two quick questions, as suggested in the title, for 2012 M5 w/6-speed manual:

1) Crush washer size for drain plug?
2) Crush washer size for fill plug?

And while we're at it, torque spec confirmation, for both plugs please. I see 29-43 ft/lbs, is that correct?

Thank you.

I have never needed to change fluid in a manual transmission. Automatic, sure. But manual? The fluid doesn't really wear out.

I have never needed to change fluid in a manual transmission. Automatic, sure. But manual? The fluid doesn't really wear out.
Curious, what manual car did you previously have?? Do you believe transaxle fluid need to be replaced?

Last edited:

The car is 13 years old and has 230,000 k’s on it. It’s in excellent condition and I plan on keeping it a long time. For the sake of a 15 min. fluid change, and C$75, it makes sense to change it. Esp. when you consider the iffy 2nd gear synchro issues prevalent in these transmissions.

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpeg
    IMG_6065.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Well, for one the 140kmile Mazda 5 hasn't been changed from the looks of it. Otherwise it was manuals from the 80's 90s that all used ATF. Never had an issue with them with a good number of miles and thrashing them. Replaced a few clutches though.

Automatics were another story.

All other fluids get changed eventually...transaxle, rear diff, auto tranny, brake fluid, etc.

Well, for one the 140kmile Mazda 5 hasn't been changed from the looks of it. Otherwise it was manuals from the 80's 90s that all used ATF. Never had an issue with them with a good number of miles and thrashing them. Replaced a few clutches though.

Automatics were another story.

All other fluids get changed eventually...transaxle, rear diff, auto tranny, brake fluid, etc.
All three of our current Subaru’s (2x BRZ, 1x WRX) require it at 100,000 KM. Plus the diffs also, and there’s three of those in a WRX! Seems prudent to me.

As long as there's mechanical contact and/or excessive heat, all fluids need to be changed eventually -except blinker fluid :unsure:. What I've gather over the years from reading some SAE papers, depending on the manufacturing tolerance (engineering and material quality), the first change is most important due to break in (less of an issue today). Perhaps I'm out dated but AFAIK all manufactures have a service intervals for MTF.

1) Crush washer size for drain plug?
2) Crush washer size for fill plug?
Might be easier if during next OCI, take out (or just loose enough) the fill plug to confirm there is a washer and measure bolt diameter. BTW, why not reuse the washer (if there is one)?

Random pointer.

Back