Suspension: Popping and creeking?

:
2006 Evo MR
I noticed a while back that when the right front of my car hits a small bump or has any sort of movement, I hear a loud popping sound, or a creeking sound. I have had it to two reputable mechanics and they can't figure it out. Can anyone give me any ideas where to start? I have been under the car a few times myself and can't see anything obvious. Oh, once a friend of mine pryed on the lower control arm bushing, and it seemed to help a bit. Then about ten minutes later, the noise came back. Help please!(help)

Has your car been aligned really well?

I'd look into greasing up all the bushings under there, especially the swaybar.

Perhaps an endlink is bent

Sounds like an endlink on the front sway bar. My wife's focus had that problem. Check it out.

Dmitry

My car is aligned really well. Thanks guys, I will cetainly grease the bushings and check the endlinks this weekend.

1 of 2 things to check. A sway bar end link or a strut bearing. If you can easily move the swaybar end link with your hand, the liner aroung the ball may be gone causing metal on metal contact. If the link is ok, it's more than likely the strut bearing.
I have a 96 Nissan Pathfinder as my primary ride and had the same issues when turning the wheel or going over bumps. When I replaced the front struts with the suspension lift, I replaced the strut bearing and the problem was resolved.
Easy way to test is have a friend turn the wheel back and forth and listen for the noise at the top of the strut tower. It's not to difficult to replace yourself if you're mechanically inclined. Just be sure to be patient and have a spring compressor on hand!

I will check that too, but it doesn't make the noise when I turn. Still could be the strut. If it is, I know where I can get 4 stock struts with 3k on em for $150.00 Thanks for the info.

HFXprotege5 said:
It's not to difficult to replace yourself if you're mechanically inclined.
Is this a cloning joke? Not sure how to take that statement. (j/k)

hellcat said:
I will check that too, but it doesn't make the noise when I turn. Still could be the strut. If it is, I know where I can get 4 stock struts with 3k on em for $150.00 Thanks for the info.

Um, I got stockers but they're over 30K miles used. Nothing wrong with them they are Tokico made.

Could a worn out side motor mount cause this noise? I noticed one of my motor mounts on the side is waisted. I have awr front and rear mounts, but the sides are stock.

i hvae a similar issue. The strut bearing def sods like a strong possibility because for me, its only when i make a slow turn. Where can we get a replacement bearing if that is the problem?

If you have AWR endlinks I guarantee that's the problem. I was sure my front driver's side coilover was toast, but put some lithium grease on the endlinks and no more.

Back