AC cool but not cold (2018 CX-9)

You could consider a clear ceramic coating on the windshield and a tint on the side windows, some users here reported it significantly reduced the solar loading and made the cabin much more comfortable.

Also, the cx-9 has two evaporator, one for the front and one for the rear. I wonder if shutting off the rear would change the output of the front (unlikely but might be worth a try.)

I’ve noticed that in this Texas heat, my wife’s 4Runner can cool the car at idle, but my CX-9 doesn’t cool very well until I start moving. Not super helpful to OP, but provides another data point. I’d be interested to see what you think after the shop “fixes” it!
You ain't gonna beat that Toyota Ac I tell you what! Good stuff

You could consider a clear ceramic coating on the windshield and a tint on the side windows, some users here reported it significantly reduced the solar loading and made the cabin much more comfortable.
I’ve got 80% front and 20% everywhere else. It helps, but the AC still doesn’t do that great. Probably of more use in less extreme climates

Ummm... Has anyone tried pushing more AC additive (R134) into the low pressure line?

2016 here, we just had to replace the condenser. It had corroded where the pipes bend into the heat exchanger portion.

The AC in my 2019 CX9 is abysmal. On an 85F degree day the cabin only cools to "warm" unless I'm doing 70MPH on the highway. In stop and go traffic it sucks. Dealer said there's nothing wrong. No leaks and the charge read where it should. I have 20% tint all around, 5% on my sunroom, and 70% on my windshield. My Grand Cherokee gets so cold I can hang meat in there regardless of the outside temperature.

Has anyone successfully modded their AC system to make it work better? Maybe with larger parts from a CX90 (If its improved / different parts in that version)?

The AC in my 2019 CX9 is abysmal. On an 85F degree day the cabin only cools to "warm" unless I'm doing 70MPH on the highway. In stop and go traffic it sucks. Dealer said there's nothing wrong. No leaks and the charge read where it should. I have 20% tint all around, 5% on my sunroom, and 70% on my windshield. My Grand Cherokee gets so cold I can hang meat in there regardless of the outside temperature.

Has anyone successfully modded their AC system to make it work better? Maybe with larger parts from a CX90 (If its improved / different parts in that version)?
My 2020 A/C SUCKS as well. Dealer " cannot duplicate" BS really pissing me off. I have explained it to them like a 5 year old and shown them proof with temperature gauge in vent when 85 and above temp outside. I absolutely doubt they even looked at it more than 5 seconds and never hooked up the recovery machine to check pressures or see if low on refrigerant. Typical losers

Last edited:
There are other threads about this problem but the bottom line is there is no fix. I had a 2016 CX9 and now my 2021 and the same thing. The air conditioning just doesn't work very well. Everyone complained about this problem in 2016 and after years of complaining Mazda never came up with a fix.

These questions were probably asked before but what's the difference between, let's say, AC in cx5 and cx9. Why in my cx5 from 2014 the AC feels so much more efficient. Subjectively it feels that the air coming from the vents is cooler and also the cabin cools down so much quicker comparing to my cx9 from 2022.

Is it because of the size of the car, bigger windows or some other factors. Did Mazda use a different AC system/technology in cx9. Is it because in cx 9 it is an automatic system adjusted by changing the temperature and in my cx5 it's a manual system when you need to turn the dial. It's a pure speculation at this point but it almost feels like with the manual system the coldest setting on the dial gives you some kind of max cooling outbursts when with cx9 the lowest you can go is 16 Celsius which is not enough to counter let's say 35 Celsius outside with the full sun constantly blasting the car and the system just does not to let you go lower to cool down the cabin.

I mean overall for me it is not bad but definitely I also noticed that once the car is moving faster it helps to cool the cabin easier. It is worse in stop and go traffic.

I’ve got max value UV / heat rejecting tint on all windows (except the windshield) and a tint strip across the windshield. I crank the AC for 5-10 minutes before reaching a comfortable cooldown except on the hottest days.

I bought my CX-9 in November. When summer came, I quickly noticed how hot my car could get. It got hotter than any other car I owned. Ever notice the heat in the console compartment?
To this day, I can’t believe how heated my parked car can get with all that tint. 😅

This might sound a bit wacky, but try taking out the cabin air filter(s) for a few days and see how it performs. I don't mean replace them either. Just remove them for a few days or a week, and see if there is an improvement. I've read about this on other forums, and it made a big difference.
BTW, cabin filters are a fairly recent innovation. It became the norm around 2000 or so, and now every car has them. Prior to that, no filters, (and nobody died lol).

Hey guys, any write ups of replacing the front condenser that's attached to the radiator? 2018 CX9 GT. I replaced the H line from the compressor, still leaking.

Hey guys, any write ups of replacing the front condenser that's attached to the radiator? 2018 CX9 GT. I replaced the H line from the compressor, still leaking.
I haven’t seen a write up but you have access to the service manual with all the steps here (they have all models there, even though the thread is in the CX-5 section):

Post in thread '2016 and up CX-5 Service Manual'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2016-and-up-cx-5-service-manual.123880695/post-6797452

It is for the Australian version but it should be 95% identical.

So I removed the bottom plastic trim under the radiator and using a blacklight, I'm trying to find a leak in my AC.

Some background info:
AC is blowing hot. It never actually got cold like my other vehicles throughout my ownership (since new).
This summer though, I'm actually melting. It worked before was compared to how it is now.

Anyways, when I refill will refrigerant+ UV dye, it goes in and when the compressor kicks in to suck it down, I can literally see the gas (mist) escaping (coming from a high pressure line) from somewhere after the compressor into the condenser. I took a few pictures of the bottom of the compressor. It seems to have UV dye throughout the bottom half of the condenser, passenger side. The bottom of the condenser on the driver side is completely clean of the UV dye.
Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
I tried looking through the grill from the top and bottom, from inside and outside of the engine bay. This is the only dye I can find.
Looks like the leak is at the bottom of the condenser, passenger side.
Is this normal?
Any thoughts, recommendations will be appreciated.
I'm looking to fix this myself, just looking for tips from you guys.
Note, a ton of the dye fell to the bottom of the plastic when I was feeding it into the L pressure line. (Why it's lit up like Christmas. Look at the bottom of the condenser)..

Thanks 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 20240524_185009.jpg
    20240524_185009.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240524_185024.jpg
    20240524_185024.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240524_185041.jpg
    20240524_185041.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240524_185052.jpg
    20240524_185052.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240524_185110.jpg
    20240524_185110.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 8
Have you looked at the condenser technical services bulletin. It shows the location of the common leak. I think it is at the bottom on the driver side where the tube connects

Link to another thread on the condenser leak and the TSB:

Post in thread '2016 CX-9 AC Leak (suspecting upper suction line)'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2016-cx-9-ac-leak-suspecting-upper-suction-line.123880925/post-6799169
So it seems this is exactly my issue.
Looking at the link you provided and then navigating to the TSB, cause 1 is exactly the issue where my leak is at the bottom of the condenser on the middle and passenger side. (See attached).

How does this TSB work exactly? It's covered under their recall? Why did you have to pay $900?

Thanks 🙏🏽

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524_205718_Xodo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524_205718_Xodo.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
A TSB is just a repair guide for the shops to reference, it's not a recall. If you find an issue under warranty they will fix it. Sadly most issues are found long after the warranty period has expired so your on your own.

Sometimes a manufacturer will 'good will' some of the cost. Usually only for people who service their car at the dealerships. Sometimes these common issues result in class-action lawsuits, depending on the number of affected vehicles.

Back