CX-9 weak AC issue resolved by now?

Hello All,

I am in the market to buy 2020+ CX-9 and it's not warm enough atm for where I live to check AC properly (Central Jersey), but summers can become very hot and muggy. I remember there was some talk about CX-9 weak AC in it's earlier years. Has that been resolved in the post 2020+ models?
If not, how satisfy are you with your AC in your CX-9? Please also mention your region.

Thanks so much!

Hello All,

I am in the market to buy 2020+ CX-9 and it's not warm enough atm for where I live to check AC properly (Central Jersey), but summers can become very hot and muggy. I remember there was some talk about CX-9 weak AC in it's earlier years. Has that been resolved in the post 2020+ models?
If not, how satisfy are you with your AC in your CX-9? Please also mention your region.

Thanks so much!
There was a TSB issued about a faulty temp sensor which effected performance of the AC system...but there were some skeptics that thought that was a red herring for a system that didn't perform well to begin with.

Was the AC weak or simply undersized? I think it was the latter. The car could have been built with infrared reflective glass to reduce the greenhouse effect. There's a simple test of airconditioning that needs two thermometers. Put one at the AC dash vent outlet and another at the system inlet or anywhere in the car away from a vent. If the outlet is about 20°F cooler than the inlet, then the system is doing all it can. That's not much help if the car interior is 100° and the vent outlet is 80°, but give it time...unless the sun is baking the interior through that big windshield.

We have a 2020 Signature and live in Bucks County, PA. Also spend a few months every year in south FL. AC works fine. including the controls in the back for the rear seat passengers.

I live in South Carolina and I had no issue with the 2018 or 2021 CX-9 air conditioning. I will say, get cooled seats, which work great!

Hello All,

Thanks so much!
I'm in Central Jersey too and just picked up a 2019 Touring a few weeks ago. Getting ready to see how the AC performs in a few days with the upcoming mid 80's temps...

Had the updated temp sensor put in under warranty for the TSB and temps have been a little over 80. Actually seems like it blows colder than it ever did, even without recirculation on. Will see when it gets to mid 90's and above this summer if it really works.

We have a 2020 Signature and live in Bucks County, PA. Also spend a few months every year in south FL. AC works fine. including the controls in the back for the rear seat passengers.
Is there anyway you can lock Rear AC from the front controls ? So little kids don't mess with it.

I observed the ventilated seats are louder than what I have experienced in other cars. Do they have a different mechanism or something?
No idea about what the mechanism is. You do hear a slight hum at first but with the radio on, we don't notice it.

Is there anyway you can lock Rear AC from the front controls ? So little kids don't mess with it.
I'm not aware of any way to lock the rear controls without turning off the front controls.

Back