Sun, Sand, and Turbans

:
2008 Mazda MX-5 5MT PRHT
Sun, Sand, and Turbans (picture content for slow connections)

Hello my fellow Georgians. I just wanted to get on here to say that I am less than 48 hours from leaving for Jacksonville, NC. After a week of being at Camp Lejeune for CRC, I will be on a plane headed for Afghanistan.

At first I was ready and anxious to go. Then, reality set in, and I got the job. A few weeks have gone by and I've been thinking over my decision. Unsure of the outcome. I know I'll be safe under the protection of the armed forces (namely Army and Marines) but it still was a daunting idea. Then, I began to hear stories from fellow co-workers. While, I'm still a little nervous, I'm more anxious to get done, get back, and tell stories of my own. It's weird because I know service men and women who are out there for more than a year at a time and are actually on the front lines in very real danger. I'll be situated comfortably on base for a major portion of the time.

In either case, my Mazda community, I will be pretty much non-existant for the coming year. I'm sorry if I've made previous commitments in the past that require me now but this is huge and it's a large step towards financial freedom. I'm sad to note that when I return home in a year, I will be selling my MSP. I love her but it's just time for me to move on and get something with a little more pizazz, a little more sizzle. I'll still venture here often.

Wish me luck. Pray for me (if you do in fact pray). I'll need all the prayers I can get. Take care you guys (and gals). I'll be thinking about ya!

Dale Skrobot

Last edited:
Good luck Dale. Let your sweetheart know that if she needs anything while you're away to just let us know.

Will do. She's currently in the Bahama's so she's at least not having to have any worries this week.

What sucks... I was supposed to go. It was a paid trip for the both of us. My ticket had to be cancelled. :(

Good luck man! I was a contractor out in Baghdad for a year after i left the Army. If you dont mind me asking who will you be working for? You can PM me if you like, i might be applying for a job in Afghanistan as well.

DAmn Dale, I missed this thread all together. Best of luck man, hope the best for you.

31R, PM sent.

SouthGeorgia: When you know, let me know man.

Mike: Yeah we got folks in Okinawa too. However, I'm in the Afbadistan. If you wind up out here dude let me know. It'd be helpful to see some familiar faces and how messed up would that be if we snapped a pic together out here. That whole 6 degrees of separation type thing where two completely different paths cross.

Scott: Thanks man! Yeah, I just got here a week ago today. I went through Amsterdam into Kuwait. It's been a trip that's for sure.

Just saw this dude. Yeah, I'm over here at KAF and will be here pretty much as long as I'm here I believe. Might be heading out to FOBs if the need arises but those will be a day or two long, then I return back to KAF.

Update, I'll be home on Dec. 23rd for my R&R. I'll be home until Jan 11th. During that time, my family has planned a trip to Biloxi, however, I don't know what dates those are so I'll keep you guys posted.

I know JA mentioned that if I found a Russian coin somewhere to snag one for her. If you think of something you may want, I can do my best to get it. There's all sorts of cool stuff out here that the Hadji shops sell. I bought a handcrafted wooden jewelry box (about 10in x 6in x 4 in) for about 40 bucks and was given a hand crafted wooden camel as a gift. The box has mother of pearl inlays creating an elephant image (elephants are sort of Erin and I's thing... long story). Just to give you guys some ideas. There's also the shawls that the locals wear as well as cool shirts from the PX's.

No, this isn't a vacation for me but I figure I can try and at least make the most out of it right? The cool thing is there is another member of the forum who just got out here a few days ago. He'll be back at KAF soon so we're going to meet up and shoot the BS about cars since none of my coworkers seem to be car folks.

P8230227.jpg

Example of a shirt I bought.

P8140198.jpg

Represent

P7280139.jpg

My current whip...

P7230116.jpg

What I do.

P7230112.jpg

The fun of dust storms and the kryptonite to SatCom

P8050166.jpg

Last edited:
Just realized you posted this. I know that we missed each other by a couple of days or something the last time I was at KAF. I will be back thru there in Nov. I will let you know when I do, this time it will be for a few days. I am in Iraq right now, Baghdad to be exact. All I do is travel in between Afghanistan, Iraq, and Kuwait. Ill hit you up later. Take it easy over there in Kandahar, I know that place stinks badly

Latest posts

Back