Stiffen your Mazda 3, Speed 3 shifter - for $4

I did this a while back, and I could not be happier. TWM bushing are nowhere in sigh in my mods to do list.

Can you still install the TWM bushings if this epoxy mod was done? Or do you have to grind/scrape off the epoxy first?

Thanks. (five-0)
yes, you will have to remove the epoxy to install the twm bushings - probably with a dremel tool

Honestly, once you do the mod, you will not want to do the solid bushings - no need.

Last edited:
It seems that this Loctite Epoxy Gel is your best friend and a fix for everything,you don`t work for them by any chance do you.:)

just tried it out on mine, can't wait for it to dry

FYI: I tried a shortcut -- "self-mix" 5 min epoxy -- I do not recommend it, much to thin, I ended up going back to Lowes for the gel epoxy that was originally recommended

What does this actually do to the?Does it get rid of that horrible knocking sound that we have when changing gears.

i have yet to find out

from what I can gather, it takes a little of the slop out of the gearshift w/o resorting to solid bushings

if nothing else, it helps me get to know my car more intimately (kiss)
I came from old-school hondas, so its kind of weird working on a new car.... you know, like dating a virgin (upbum)

Hey guys,

I finished the mod yesterday afternoon, and i am waiting for it to fully cure before i try it, i can't wait!

But just as some advice for anyone who was having some trouble finding the syringes (like i had because i didn't want to spend the money on an entire ink refill kit), you can try a CVS or any other pharmacy and look for an Oral Syringe. I went up to the counter where the pharmacist is and asked for one. Then he just handed me two of them for free.
Another option for the syringes is go to Walmart and pay around $1.40 for one.

Your choice there (thumb)

EDIT: Just tried it out - and definitely much crisper! Awesome mod!

Last edited:
A nice idea, but frankly, I've spent the $26. If the car was 10 years old, and a hobby car, I might scrimp on the bushings, but we're talking about a matter of $20.

Werd to ya mutha!

You've just spend 20K+ on a new car and there's a(read: cheap) marketed fix for the sloppy shifter- but, you want me epoxy my console?.. come again?!

It's not about how much you're spending, is about the results. If I can get almost the same result for $4 (I already had some epoxi from previous projects), why I'm gona spend $26.

Solid bushings are solid and just like a solid motor mount they will transmit vibration. The epoxy just stiffens up the assembly while keeping the vibration isolating properties of rubber, so you get a stiffer assembly with little to no added vibration. A lot of the bashers keep referring to the cost ($30), well anyone who owns a MS3 $30 bucks is not the issue. Not only is the epoxy cheaper - it's better (no added vibrations) . I'm sure I'll get bashed but that's ok, anyone who has used the epoxy knows what I'm talking about. :D

This is the best, cheapest, easiest mod ever! It makes the car "buck" less while shifting the car into 2nd. It's so good now that even my wife said she wants to drive it more! (no)

Daniel

This is the best, cheapest, easiest mod ever! It makes the car "buck" less while shifting the car into 2nd. It's so good now that even my wife said she wants to drive it more! (no)

Daniel
This is the shifter mod thread, I think you are referring to the thread about stiffening up your rear mount with epoxy. The shifter fix won't make your car buck less just shift better, no more spongy feel.
Anyhow glad you like it.

No, I was talking about the shifter mod. Trust me, it helped in the "bucking" of the transmission when shifting. My wife hated driving the car because of it...it didn't do it after doing that one mod. (I hadn't done the motor mount yet...)

Daniel

Ok , do the rear mount next to really feel an even bigger difference!
Glad it worked out for ya (headbang)

Last edited:
yeah it's true what flyrevs is saying, it's not to be cheap, but to avoid transmission of vibration to the shifter while stiffening up the shifter feel. I did it a while back after reading this thread and I like it. If you are meticulous it wont be messy and if it's a little messy u wont see it anyway. We all know vibrations will give you hand pain, you'll get the same thing from playing games with a vibrating control pads for hours. hehehehe

this is rediculous.. just did it and went through the gears real quick.. after 10 minutes of drying there is a noticable difference. Giving it over night to dry and cant wait to test it out!

Back