Stiffen your Mazda 3, Speed 3 shifter - for $4

A nice idea, but frankly, I've spent the $26. If the car was 10 years old, and a hobby car, I might scrimp on the bushings, but we're talking about a matter of $20.

just did it, i'm waiting on it to dry as i type this. can't wait to try it. i hope i notice a difference

Ninja Edit: Maybe I should have asked this before I did it. Do I have to worry about any voided warranty?

Last edited:
Yay, I love it.
Now I need a new boot and shift knob and I'll be done with the shifter for a while.
But I think I'm going for exhaust or rims first.

Did this today with some 80D epoxy from work... The difference is very subtle. IMHO not worth it if you have to buy the epoxy/aplicator (even @ $4). But if you've got the bits and pieces you need already, why not?

[edit] I posted this before my epoxy fully cured. See below [/edit]

Last edited:
Mz3FRS said:
Did this today with some 80D epoxy from work... The difference is very subtle. IMHO not worth it if you have to buy the epoxy/aplicator (even @ $4). But if you've got the bits and pieces you need already, why not?

I used 30 min gel epoxy with a weight capacity of 3000 pounds.
I felt the difference right away, It felt like a whole new car.

Well, after it's cured a bit more (I used '5min' epoxy, but it takes 24 hours to reach that 80Dhardness) It's more noticeable then my first post.

I judged too soon! It's worth at least $5. :) It has certainly crispened up the shifts a bit. And it's ridiculously easy to do.

Mz3FRS said:
Well, after it's cured a bit more (I used '5min' epoxy, but it takes 24 hours to reach that 80Dhardness) It's more noticeable then my first post.

I judged too soon! It's worth at least $5. :) It has certainly crispened up the shifts a bit. And it's ridiculously easy to do.
Hey man glad to see it worked out for ya. I don't know why more people don't give this a go...... (mj)

flyrevs said:
Hey man glad to see it worked out for ya. I don't know why more people don't give this a go...... (mj)

Sweet, I'll have to try this while I've got the boot off for a different install.

I about dropped a brick when I saw your sig... I'm from Wadsworth too. Next time I'm up there, you can bet I'll be watching for a CB MS3 :D

How does that center consol come off?Is there any screws or just pop it off?
Thx
Shark

Also I bought Super Glue brand epoxy called Plastic Fusion.It rates at 4000Lbs and sets in 5-10 Mins.Im thinking this should be perfect,I guess Ill find out.

Last edited:
SharkDiver said:
How does that center consol come off?Is there any screws or just pop it off?
Thx
Shark

Also I bought Super Glue brand epoxy called Plastic Fusion.It rates at 4000Lbs and sets in 5-10 Mins.Im thinking this should be perfect,I guess Ill find out.

Don't use the plastic fusion, I was about to buy it but then I noticed it has corrosives that melt plastic and create a literal fusion bond.
You do not want this because it will fsk your console, Take it back and get the 30 min gel epoxy rated at 3500 pounds.

elderlycoffee said:
Don't use the plastic fusion, I was about to buy it but then I noticed it has corrosives that melt plastic and create a literal fusion bond.
You do not want this because it will fsk your console, Take it back and get the 30 min gel epoxy rated at 3500 pounds.
Roger That....

I did examine the shifter assembly before and didn't feel it's loose. But last week I decided to give it a try, since it's a cheap mod. Wow, the shifter does feel much firmer. Together with the rear engine mount mod, the car holds itself very well now during taking off or upshiftings/downshiftings.(cool)

pretty nice mod, it beats payin over $30 for bushings. I will be doin this. No harm with this mod atleast not that i can think of. Thanks

pretty nice mod, it beats payin over $30 for bushings. I will be doin this. No harm with this mod atleast not that i can think of. Thanks

I did it and I found this urethane glue for marine application. it's harder than the rubber bushings. I put it around the bolt making sure not to touch the bolt. The bolt on the upper left is a pain to get too but i was able to do it. It feels more stiffer than before. it's pretty noticeable but it doesnt have the vibration. pretty cool. The marine glue cost me $7 and this thing expands so it probably filled up the air pocket. so make sure u have a margin away from the bolt. pretty cool mod.

If you're gonna do something to a new car just do it right the first time. Cutting corners to try and save money will only cost you more in the end. Just my 2 cents. (thought)

Can you still install the TWM bushings if this epoxy mod was done? Or do you have to grind/scrape off the epoxy first?

Thanks. (five-0)

Back