starting issue

joemon1984

:
cx5 2014 GT
This was weird. I took my CX5 for a short drive in winter.parked at the lot, did some shopping and tried to start the car in about 30 minutes and it wouldn't start. The key signal on the panel was green,so I assume it recognized my key fob but on the push button start it was red.when I pushed the button, it would start the head unit and other electronics. Armed signal was flashing though. After few tries, and opening and closing the door few times my car started. No engine symbol was noted.

I dont know if I did something wrong or it is an issue with the car.

1.I didn't noticed any battery issue
2.I started the car as I usually do

Anybody with similar experience?

Tried pushing a bit harder on the brake? Once I thought I pressed it far enough but apparently not and only the head unit and display stuff turned on.

Tried pushing a bit harder on the brake? Once I thought I pressed it far enough but apparently not and only the head unit and display stuff turned on.
Hi bluefan

Never thought of that. I am always gentle on the brake. May be with the extreme cold weather, I should put more pressure on the brake.

Kind of a derp suggestion by bluefan, but actually a strong possibility. I have been duped by the brake switch myself in the past. lol!

Hopefully it is as simple as that. Keep us posted.

When I first bought the car, once or twice I released the brake too quickly and the engine failed to catch. Then I just got in the habit of leaving my foot on the brake until putting it in gear.

I also have noticed my CX5 requires me to push faily hard on the brake before starting. Sometimes, I even need to reposition my foot on the brake peddle to push hard enough.

I also have noticed my CX5 requires me to push faily hard on the brake before starting. Sometimes, I even need to reposition my foot on the brake peddle to push hard enough.

That might not be good. I assume it's the brake switch that causes the electronics to sense a start condition. If you really have to press on the brake that hard for it to start, maybe your brake lights aren't coming on until you are pressing on the brakes that hard either.

Good morning, I'm new to the CX5 forum, but I wanted to let you know the same issue occurred with my new CX5 as well, in the event this has not yet been resolved for you.
On three separate occasions, I had the same experience; vehicle failing to start after a short stop in cold weather. I brought it to my dealership (Sunridge Mazda in Calgary) and they did some investigative work and found a Technical Service Bulletin that references this issue. I believe it has something to do with 'rapid cooling' of the ignition sensors causing the problem. Regardless of the technical jargon, apparently there is a replacement 'array' available and Sunridge Mazda replaced it at no personal cost. Of course, I am incredibly relieved I purchased the extended warranty so I also had a rental car covered while I was waiting for repairs to be done! Everything seems to be working fine now...but it will take another exposure to extreme weather before I can really say with confidence the problem is resolved. Good luck!

Hi New to CX5, I'm from Calgary as well and haven't had this issue in our crazy weather lately, but I am curious if you have more details?

Car wouldn't start even if it recognizes key fob. wasn't sure what was going on. As blue fan pointed out, it may be because we dont press the break hard enough. It never happened to me again.
Hi New to CX5, I'm from Calgary as well and haven't had this issue in our crazy weather lately, but I am curious if you have more details?

Talked to the dealer over phone regarding the start issue. I was told it could be from a frozen relay. they advised me to run the car idle for little longer.dealer is going to do a thorough check up at my next scheduled service which is due in few weeks.

It is -30 here today and yes, it could be a frozen rely then.

phoned,
I have had the sensor relays replaced and hopefully this problem will not reoccur. Sunridge Mazda customer service was excellent, and have urged me to return if it happens again, although they are confident the upgraded relay will alleviate the problem.
If I understand the problem correctly, if the vehicle is 'cold started', i.e. it has been sitting at a constant temperature for a lengthy period of time, then starting should not be an issue. However, if you are running the vehicle for short durations, i.e. 30-60 min, in very cold temperatures, the ignition sensors undergo rapid cooling and may freeze. Although you can open the doors and start the fan/radio, the engine won't engage and the vehicle doesn't acknowledge the key fob.
It happened to me three times, and on the third occasion, the engine warning light also came on. I was concerned about driving it at that point, so I dropped it off at Sunridge, they did some investigative work as the codes came up 'green'....and 'lo and behold, this problem had been encountered before, although not locally. Hopefully, this new ignition system will be fault free.

phoned,
I have had the sensor relays replaced and hopefully this problem will not reoccur. Sunridge Mazda customer service was excellent, and have urged me to return if it happens again, although they are confident the upgraded relay will alleviate the problem.
If I understand the problem correctly, if the vehicle is 'cold started', i.e. it has been sitting at a constant temperature for a lengthy period of time, then starting should not be an issue. However, if you are running the vehicle for short durations, i.e. 30-60 min, in very cold temperatures, the ignition sensors undergo rapid cooling and may freeze. Although you can open the doors and start the fan/radio, the engine won't engage and the vehicle doesn't acknowledge the key fob.
It happened to me three times, and on the third occasion, the engine warning light also came on. I was concerned about driving it at that point, so I dropped it off at Sunridge, they did some investigative work as the codes came up 'green'....and 'lo and behold, this problem had been encountered before, although not locally. Hopefully, this new ignition system will be fault free.
If the code comes up green, does that mean no issues detected by the computer although there was an obvious issue?

If the code comes up green, does that mean no issues detected by the computer although there was an obvious issue?

Yes, that is what I was informed by the service technician. The codes all came up 'green', and they were unable to detect a starting issue, however based upon my complaint, they investigated and that is how they discovered the technical service bulletin. If you are concerned about it, stick to your guns and ask if they can look for the technical service bulletin.

$70 Relay Problem

Yes, that is what I was informed by the service technician. The codes all came up 'green', and they were unable to detect a starting issue, however based upon my complaint, they investigated and that is how they discovered the technical service bulletin. If you are concerned about it, stick to your guns and ask if they can look for the technical service bulletin.

The exact same thing happened to me this morning. It was around -20 here in Madison and I drove it a couple of miles, turned it off, and when I went back to the car, it would not start. It basically acted as if I didn't have the key fob with me. The brake would not depress as much as it would normally, the push-start blinked amber, and the key symbol was red as opposed to green. I waited for a while and it finally started up again, but the check engine light was on. I decided to take it in even though I thought it was probably just due to the weather. When the service technician called me, he said there was a freezing problem between the fuel pump relay, the ignition relay, the main relay, and injector relay that caused the problem. Since I was only 300 miles out of warranty, they said they could probably swing a fix under the warranty, which makes me very happy to have a Mazda and great technicians.

I do have a follow-up question. The car is nearly 2 years old, but has around 36300 miles. Is it time to change the engineer air filter and cabin air filter?

Had my first service for 2014 CX5 today. Like I mentioned in the thread, I had a push button start issue. computer generated a code and they replaced the relay under warranty. Dealer told me the relay on my car was not for extreme weather. Apparently, relay gets frozen and makes it difficult to start the car at first try.it would start the electronics only. They put a blue colored relay ( a one inch square thing) instead of black/grey colored one which came with the car. Assured the starting issue wont happen again. Happy with the service.

They put a blue colored relay ( a one inch square thing) instead of black/grey colored one which came with the car. Assured the starting issue wont happen again. Happy with the service.

Any idea where this relay is located so one might check to see which one they have? Any paperwork with a part #?

It is located in the fuse box near to the battery in the hood. I dont know how to upload a pic here (it shows url and all i have a jpg image)
AJ51-18-821 relay,circ This is what I see in the paper work. They replaced 5 of them actually.

The exact same thing happened to my wife twice this week. My sons and I have not been able to duplicate it. The symptoms are she presses the brake pedal and she says it acts as if it does not want to depress all the way. She then pushes the start button. The instrument lights come on but it does not crank. She swears she is pushing on the brake pedal hard. At this point I'm not sure if it's operator error or there may be an actual issue with the brake light switch, relay or something else. I'm almost wishing it would happen to me so I could confirm it.

Back