Intermittent start (no crank)

Thank you all for the help. I've done on a ton of repairs on jeeps in the past but with the low clearance and chance it could be a switch, I'll bring it to the shop. Thank you all.

Double check the car battery terminals are not corroded and are secure tight........do you have a varmint problem? They like to eat wires.....this is also a good reason to have a cheap Bluetooth scanner.

Double check the car battery terminals are not corroded and are secure tight........do you have a varmint problem? They like to eat wires.....this is also a good reason to have a cheap Bluetooth scanner.
Thanks, man. That was one of the first things I checked. I used to have a loose cable thanks to an aftermarket horn but then I fixed that. This isn't that problem. The power seems fine, it's just not starting sometimes. I also had the parking shifter issue 1 or 2x. It's gotta be the starter. I'll have it tested but bring it to the shop. Thanks all.

Always check to make sure there is voltage at the starter. If there isn't, the starter is probably just fine. The ignition would then be the obvious culprit.

As the title says, I have a 2014 cx5 in great shape. Never had any issues or modifications (outside replacing my horn a few years back). 88k on it and I’m the original owner. The battery might be 3 years old. I tried both mine and my wife’s key fobs.

Starting yesterday, I went to start my car and all the lights came on and radio with all the warning lights on but no crank. I never had a crank issue. No clicking or anything, it seemed like a computer error. That happened a couple more times since. I shut it off. Put the fob on top of the start button and it either starts fine or errors out and doesn’t start. Any ideas on a trouble shoot?
There’s a TSB on bad shifter switch. And there’s bad brake light switch on brake pedal which would case the starting problems.

Reactions: AVC
If I'd look at shifter and brake pedal switches. If jiggling the shifter or tapping the brake pedal 5 or 6 times before cranking fixes it, you know which one to replace. Someone with a scan tool that can access Mazda PIDs can tell if the shifter and brake switches are working and enabling crank.

I thought you would get messages in the dash if your shifter in not in P or foot not on brake when you hit the Start/Stop button. Am I mistaken?
OP did not mention this.

I thought you would get messages in the dash if your shifter in not in P or foot not on brake when you hit the Start/Stop button. Am I mistaken?
OP did not mention this.
I had that problem 1-2x before. It's not that. It was the first thing I did was to try to jerk around the P brake but I was in P. I'm guessing it's electrical. I'm going to have a shop replace it tomorrow. I miss my jeep. I swapped out a bunch of starters in the 90's/00's.

I had that problem 1-2x before. It's not that. It was the first thing I did was to try to jerk around the P brake but I was in P. I'm guessing it's electrical. I'm going to have a shop replace it tomorrow. I miss my jeep. I swapped out a bunch of starters in the 90's/00's.
Not the starter problem. See post #25 and #26 above.

Not the starter problem. See post #25 and #26 above.
Ah, I misread. I'm an idiot. Yes, it works after a few tries and the pressure on the brake pedal changes a couple of times, and then it goes. I put a cheap code reader on it and no codes tripped. Is there a way to test these switches and are they easy enough to replace?

Ah, I misread. I'm an idiot. Yes, it works after a few tries and the pressure on the brake pedal changes a couple of times, and then it goes. I put a cheap code reader on it and no codes tripped. Is there a way to test these switches and are they easy enough to replace?
If my memory serves me correctly, shifter switch is more expensive which comes with a whole mechanism; brake light switch is much cheaper. Search the forum and you should find the answer you want.

I don’t believe this problem would trigger a CEL.

Local shop said it was the brake switch, you guys are brilliant. Also, is the brake switch the same as the brake light switch?

Back