staring!

:
03.5 msp titanium
So here i am, after a long 2 1/2 year build and im trying to start today!!

actually tried first yesterday but didnt even get a crank out of it, some electrical problems of course..

now, im actually turning my engine over and had expected it to fire up within first 5-10 tries but its still not catching by itself.. all starter, all battery

im curious as to whether or not i have my ignition wires/coils incorrectly sequenced (nology hotwires were put it)

can anyone help with which ignition-plug (2x) goes to which 2 spark-plugs so i can attempt to start trouble-shooting this!!

any help is greatly appreciated!!

i never primed my fuel lines after finishing my build. i just cranked it over and it started up as if it was never out. malcantry, what is happening when you crank it over? it just wont start? but it cranks?

correct, its turning over strongly (i have 2 batteries connected) and ive cranked it ~10-15 times for about 10-15 secs each time.. turns nicely, sounds good for the cranks but no fire-up

im wondering if my wires/coils/plugs are in wrong order..

Ive never had to prime gasoline engines before, only diesels really need priming. but im not getting any fuel pressure on the gauge (gauge is 0-15psi on return line) while im cranking.. (just reads 0)

just went outside and tried again.. i can clearly hear my fuel pump turning on and buzzing when key in accessory position (on doesnt necessarily mean pumping yeah?)

it sucks because ive touched almost EVERYTHING that would give me problems lol..

replaced fuel rail, fuel pump, 440 injectors, parts of the fuel lines, coils, spark-plug wires, and have even messed with every damn plug.. who knows what is giving me the problems..

hmm, so im thinking about it.. i can hear fuel pump working (im certain) but im not getting any fuel return (fuel pressure on gauge or any leaking out while jic fitting cracked)

hmmm..

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!! maybe crack a line on my fuel supply and see if its pumping?? think i should take out my fuel pump and test?! wtfs

Last edited:
plug 1 goes to cyl 2 and 3? plug 2 goes to cyls 1 and 4?

just noticed thread title is -1 't' supposed to be "starting!" lols..

got the plug-wire order figured out.. tis correct.

i took the fuel supply line off and got a nice pop when a little bit of pressurized fuel released from the line.. must be pumping

im still not getting any fuel leaking out of my JIC fitting on my fuel-return line(when i crack it loose); nor is there any pressure reading on my gauge (return line ga)

thoughts?

ugh, been troubleshooting so heres the deal

i jumped the fp via dlc and tis working

took off ends of fuel rail, empty

fuel return line empty

fuel pressure regulator has pressurized fuel coming into it, but nothing coming out. (not even on fuel rail)

possible i have bad fpr? i took the line off it (and other side going to fpr solenoid) and blew; clean

took line from fpr solenoid - intake mani and blew; clean

possible i have bad fpr solenoid? possible i have lines mixed? i installed "correctly" as previously stated in other thread..

pull out your spark plugs and crank the motor for a few seconds. you will see fuel mist if the injectors are firing.

imo dont crank your car for long durations as described. if it does not start after a couple seconds odds are you have something hooked up wrong. just google some images for what you are not sure about and google protege5 workshop manual and you can find sites to download the complete manual for free.

even very little fuel will still cough or studder the motor for a few moments.

if you have fuel the next step will be to check spark. if you have spark then check timing.

also ensure that all your electrical connections and fuses are in good shape. ground wires should all be cleaned up nice regularly.

Last edited:
not even to checking spark yet. :/

fuel is not getting past fpr into the fuel rail. i know my fuel pump is pumping up to the fpr. now what

i think you have fuel lines backwards. it doesnt need to get past fpr to get to injectors. if there is no fuel in your rail then your lines are backwards.

Last edited:
the fpr (fuel press reg) is what limits the damn fuel from high press from pump to a regulated amount into the fuel rail

if i had my lines backwards then id get high pressure on my fuel return line (which has a low press gauge on it which is reading 0 and line empty)

fuel comes hp into fpr, into fuel rail, (stock rail has damper on opposite end of fuel rail), out and back

you can see fpr on left side of fuel rail here, vac hose coming up and towards fpr solenoid, the clip/hose connected to it parallel (ontop) of fuel rail is the fuel high press line correct?? this is how mine is set up...

otherwise the fuel would go through the damper first??? then up and out through the fpr through the bottom..

Last edited:
otherwise the fuel would go through the damper first??? then up and out through the fpr through the bottom..

been a while since ive looked at a fsde but i still think you have it backwards buddy.

fpr is after injectors, its what keeps them at proper pressure. you dont regulate the pressure before the rail, you regulate it after the fuel has entered. this is how every fuel system i have ever worked on functions.

1.feed fuel rail with fuel.
2. the fpr will drain unneeded fuel/pressure through the return line. this is how proper pressure is maintained across the rail.
3. why would you need to dampen fuel returning to the gas tank ;)

if you dont have fuel in either line then you have different problems altogether.

to test disconnect both lines and have someone turn on the key to see if anything is flowing for a second. obviously dont do anything stupid like light a match or cause electrical sparks.

if theres nothing try jumping the fuel pump and testing again for fuel flow.

if there is flow then feed the flowing line to the injector rail, and connect the other line coming off the fpr to the return connection.

the whole ordeal should take you less than 5 minutes to swap lines if you still have the oem quick connect fittings on.

Last edited:
a "generic" image but describes what you need to do: fuel pump to rail, rail pressure is maintained via FPR, excess fuel/pressure is drained back to fuel tank.

6715.jpeg

word!

the damper i was assuming was just put in-line and counters the pulses from the pump, but youre right, all logical (wink)

thanks for the help jeff

no problem.

let us know if you have any other issues.

as I said before try not to crank over the motor for very long. If it does not start after a few seconds that means something is hooked up wrong.

good luck!

Back