Starting issues 2007 CX-9

Twin-10s

:
2007 cx9
Have been having issues with our cx-9 changed starter already had 240K miles on it.
problem insert key, turn and get nothing first few tries. Then it wil start after a few more tries. When it does start it starts right up like nothing was wrong. just looking for where i should go next? ignition switch? key fob siglnal?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Joe

I had a similar issue on a mazda 3 that was caused by the mechanism in the transmission (i think it is a cable and a switch) that sends the signal to confirm the car is in park. That cable was sticking and if the car thinks it is not in park then it won’t start.

Not sure if this is your case but that would be something you could look into.

I think there might also be a switch linked with the brake pedal (to confirm your foot is on the brake) that could be looked into.

Did a few more research. The issue i had was with the neutral safety switch.

Test to see if your car does start in neutral but doesn’t in Park. If it works fine in neutral but not in park then it might be that switch.

Thank you for the replies. Did start easy in neutral when i just tried it, might just be the switch!

Can't seem to find a replacement anywhere though? guessing its not called that in this model year?

It might be the brake light switch. When I had that problem with my ford years ago I also noticed that the brake light in the back would not turn on. After replacing the switch the problem was gone. It might be this one I am not sure. Either way please let me know what it is and the picture of the part this link is from Rock Auto. More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SLS354

Well neutral worked 2 times. Issue getting worse. Took 10 minutes of trying to start it to finally get it to go. Just keep turning key then starts out of the blue.

Well neutral worked 2 times. Issue getting worse. Took 10 minutes of trying to start it to finally get it to go. Just keep turning key then starts out of the blue.
If it is a starter issue, one quick way to get it to turn on first go is by whacking the starter with something while turning the key (requires two people and it's only a stop gap measure until the new starter gets installed lol).

If you're a DIYer, then you can do diagnostic testing at the starter relay. If not, then take it to a shop for diagnosis and repair.

jumping starter relay i take is what you mean by that? I'am totaly capable of doing that. will look into which termials. thanks!

jumping starter relay i take is what you mean by that? I'am totaly capable of doing that. will look into which termials. thanks!
It's actually more than just jumping it. The idea is to do testing at the relay with a multimeter, in order possible find out quite a bit more than simply jumping the contacts will tell you.

Back