Spark plugs

msp97

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just wondering what you guys are running for plugs. Which run the best and are the best value. Running stock boost.

NGK stock no 4291. $1.99 a plug. Just have to change them more frequently but you want fresh plugs for forced induction anyway. The OEM NGK's last 3 times or so longer but they are not cheap. I've yet to see a reason to use a different plug each time I change them no matter what boost I'm running.

MSP gap is 0.028-0.031. 4291s come with around a 0.44 gap, so yes must regap. Iridiums are not supposed to be gapped.

Thank you, you have been very helpful man.

One more thing, how often do they need changed?

That's not too bad for 2 dollar plugs. The stock ones were $17 a piece at the local store.

New problem....I'm getting white smoke with a bluish tint after letting of the gas in full boost. Just comes in a small cloud between shifts in full boost. Is my turbo going bad?

Maybe. Blueish gray smoke is usually a sign of oil in the exhaust, which could be from the turbo or the piston rings or valve seals letting oil by. Other sources are obviously also going to be possible, but those are the most common. Pull off your intake pipe and hot pipe and see if the turbo is spewing oil into them, and check for shaft play while you've got the intake off.

If the turbo is ok, do a compression test to check your piston rings. You should be able to rent a compression tester from an auto parts store. You're shooting for above 150 psi per cylinder.

5a2y6uhe.jpg
ybadu7a3.jpg
sype3aha.jpg
2e8uvunu.jpg
uge7abuq.jpg

Here are my results. No oil in intercooler hose.

Here are my results. No oil in intercooler hose.

You sure about that.. your intake looks clean but your compressor housing looks kinda caked with oil residue. That could very well be the source of your oil in the exhaust. That's assuming oil is the cause of the off-color smoke you're experiencing.. what if you run your finger across the rear bumper right above the exhaust, do you get an oily residue?

You should also probably replace the oil return gasket/o-ring under the turbo, you appear to have quite a bit of oil buildup and a possible leak there as well. You should be able to get the o-ring from a dealership.

If I was you, I'd probably still do a compression test, it's a good measure of engine health.. and I'm assuming you acquire this car recently. It would be a good thing to have checked out so you can get an idea of where your engine stands in terms of compression.

No, 6F are stock range for MSP but a step colder for P5 and NA Proteges. 7F would be a step colder for the MSP.

I've had the car for 2 years but just started doing bolt ons this summer. I was in the process of doing a compression test yesterday when the gauge broke. I am going to get ahold of another one. I will get a o ring and look into the other things you mentioned and give an update. Thank you for the help!

There didn't seem to be any oily residue but some black stuff came off. I'm thinking it's just from the car running so rich though

Back