spark plug set up

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello everybody back with another msp... sold the blue one but back to my ? im looking to upgrade the coil pack and wire set up on my car currently running ngks and ngk zfr6f v-power plugs.... Current mods are 2.5 divorced downpipe, perrin turbo back, atp sr20 8 psi wastegate, injen intake, samco pipe hot pipe, relocated maf, custom cold pipe, jdm 1st gen hks bov, and also running the stock bov to recirculate into the intake with vacuum a line split to both bovs coming from the brake booster no boost gauge.... so i would like to to upgrade the wires to get a better spark cuz i think im having some ping but don't want spend to 200 on nologys but will if i have to so ive looked in to these wires

1st Magnecor 8.5 kv85 model
Dont know much about them

2nd Nology hotwires
I had these on my blue msp with the same ngk v-power plugs the the metal grounds from the wires were connected to the 1sty ground kit and it took away hesitation and jerks and my car kept boost strong but its really expensive

3rd 1.8 conversion with ngk wires and the mounting bracket
im planning on buying this from a forums member and what i guess i know is that im gonna have to use the 1.8 or the 626 valve cover for it seal really good would i have to extend the wires running to coil that feed power and would i have to change the ends to fit the 1.8 coils and is it really an upgrade or worth doing

4th 2000 626 distributer and wire
I read somewhere that we can use the 2000 626 distributer and wire set up with mounting bracket but if so we have to power feeds for to the coil how would both be plugged in for to power to the plugs dont know much

So im looking for anybody with personal experience or that could steer me in the right direction a lot the info is scatter through all the other post so im trying making sure

I don't know that I can specifically speak to performance benefits, but I changed my setup to use the 1.8 coils and a set of NGK wires for the 1.8. Happened to find a good deal on a 626 valve cover, so I think I was at around $150 all said and done with new coils.

I didn't actually extend the coil wires; I cut open the factory loom back to the main bundle coming off the firewall and re-routed the coil wires from the driver side of the motor. Having all that BS off the top of the valve cover helps clean things up a lot, but I am thinking about building a heat shield of some sort, since the factory mounting point puts them pretty close to the turbo mani.

Everything I have read says that the 1.8L coils give a measurably stronger spark, but I don't know if that applies to OEM coils only. Either way, the actual coils themselves are significantly larger and heavier than the stock 2.0 ones, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
which valve cover r u using and which plugs.... I've seen so me people mount coils like nologys does using the strut bar mounts

I have heard the Nologys are a waste of money. The 1.8 coils have more dwell time if you get heavily into tuning the car but now that they are so expensive it may be better to just upgrade the wires (although you already have NGK wires I believe you said so maybe you dont need to) and coils.

Well I'm getting good a deal on a 1.8 set up minus the valve cover and plugs I don't think the nology wires were a waste but definitely expensive.... I don't want to buy 1.8 set up if it ain't gonna work Or change anything jus wanted make sure it's worth converting

i have the 1.8 coil set-up, and while its not an MSP, its the same thing really.

i could not get a good seat on the plugs with the stock 2.0 valve cover, so i bought a 1.8 cover. you "could" modify the wires to seat on the plugs, but then you are losing the water seal at the valve cover. if you can find one, just get a new cover.

I wonder if there is a set of wires that would fit the 1.8 coils and be round on the other end to fit the 2.0 VC.

which valve cover r u using and which plugs.... I've seen so me people mount coils like nologys does using the strut bar mounts

Sorry, I wrote "626 mani" but I meant "626 valve cover"

I don't remember what brand of coils I bought, but I got them through Amazon, and they were reasonably priced.

i dont have a problem changing the valve cover i was wondering if its needed the 1.8 conversion its something im probably gonna do..... anybody have pics of there set up this is my old cars set up i like that nology wires actually moves the coils to the back of the motor under the strut bar and that it comes with grounds for every wire and that they also include another that u can use to tie everything together... can i mount the 1.8 coils like that
IMG_0135.jpg

CopyofIMG00398.jpg

Last edited:
one thing to keep in mind with the msp, the coils mount with the stock bracket right next to the turbo, and will be subject to much more heat than they do in the stock location. ignition coils don't like to get baked with heat. just something to keep in mind.

You can mount the 1.8 coils whereever you have the skills to fab a bracket. You would probably just need to get some universal plug wires of the correct length to match your mounting location.

And it's a good point about the heat. I am rethinking my mounting location for exactly that reason.

i ran them before there good but got scared off becuase everyone always talked bad about them but im giveing them a try again this following oil change..

The only reaSon people say that they suck is cuz they r expensive becuz for a 1 hP gain ain't worth paying but what I paid for was for car to stay consistent I when I owned the nology wires I thought they were really nice and the quality of the wires is really nice and the whole point of all this research is to fine which wire setup will relocate the coil pack so they wont cook so the car can always run perfect

The reason the nology wires are so expensive is because they charge extra for some mumbo jumbo that hasn't proven to really do anything, not because they have a better mounting location for the plugs. You can take any set of coils and relocate them anywhere to keep them cool. Just need the right length of universal plug wires.

I just Ran Pulstar plugs with stock Coil-Slave system. Big difference. Then again there is an actual change in the plug design itself which gives it a more powerful spark.

I am curious how much of a difference all these new electrode designs are really making, and how much of it is a gimmick and just for advertising.

Back