Soul Red Mica paint is impossible to touch up

Apparently, body shops everywhere are having the hardest time repainting and matching Soul Red Mica (40V). The combination of solvents and tints to perfectly match it is now every body shop's nightmare. Of course, I am talking about body shops that actually care to match repainted panels to factory paint.

Apparently, body shops everywhere are having the hardest time repainting and matching Soul Red Mica (40V). The combination of solvents and tints to perfectly match it is now every body shop's nightmare. Of course, I am talking about body shops that actually care to match repainted panels to factory paint.
I take it you've done extensive research on this subject, eh?

My CX-5 had a paint chip repaired on the front bumper done by the dealer body shop or wherever they took it to... and it is a bit noticeable that it's different, the finish wasn't the same, etc. But that could be just bad work done by that body shop.

I take it you've done extensive research on this subject, eh?

Went to a PPG (Envirobase) waterborne paint seminar with a few regional body shops. Soul Red Mica came up in the discussion. Blending 3 stage red always been a b**** (Velocity Red Mica 27A), but apparently SRM is a whole 'nother level of "b****".

I have a bunch of small rock chips on my crystal while pearl CX-5. I have been debating what to do about it for a while now. I finally decided to order the basic dr. color chip repair kit.
autogeek_2267_81514426

When you order the kit in crystal while pearl it says the following...
"This is a tri-coat pearl / 3-stage color, meaning it was painted with a base coat, pearl coat and tinted clear coat. There is not a single color formula that exactly matches. However, the paint you receive should allow for a very close color match and yield far better results than using regular touch-up paint. Please check the box to acknowledge this." The kit is $39.95 + $17.75 to ship the product VIA UPS to Canada. I will be sure to post a review of the product once I use it.

I have a bunch of small rock chips on my crystal while pearl CX-5. I have been debating what to do about it for a while now. I finally decided to order the basic dr. color chip repair kit.
When you order the kit in crystal while pearl it says the following...
"This is a tri-coat pearl / 3-stage color, meaning it was painted with a base coat, pearl coat and tinted clear coat. There is not a single color formula that exactly matches. However, the paint you receive should allow for a very close color match and yield far better results than using regular touch-up paint. Please check the box to acknowledge this." The kit is $39.95 + $17.75 to ship the product VIA UPS to Canada. I will be sure to post a review of the product once I use it.
Please post a review with a picture of the affect area if you don't mind.

Went to a PPG (Envirobase) waterborne paint seminar with a few regional body shops. Soul Red Mica came up in the discussion. Blending 3 stage red always been a b**** (Velocity Red Mica 27A), but apparently SRM is a whole 'nother level of "b****".
I don't doubt that all that's true, but you might want to include that info in your initial post to give your statement some credibility.

I think I can vouch for the Soul Red Mica being hard to repair - before buying our ex-demonstrator CX-5 SWD sport, there were a few minor blemishes to touch up. Apparently one required some spraying around 2/3's of passenger side door ..... we now know this to be the case because having owned the car 6 weeks, the base colour has changed and faded in this area and the car now looks very pale and orange in that area. IIRC the original scratch / mark was tiny, so the fact this affect so much of the door suggests the repair company had fun trying to blend in this paint. Car will be going back in soon to have this addressed ... but am worried now ..... is it ever going to be possible to repair so it looks same colour as the rest of the car ?

Please post a review with a picture of the affect area if you don't mind.
Will do! I have a bunch of small rock chips and I may try using a few different methods to fix them. Odds are I will wet sand the area down before applying the touch up paint. Otherwise the paint won't sit flat. I have one or two really deep scratches that will probably require some bondo as well. Hopefully I will get the kit soon.

I think I can vouch for the Soul Red Mica being hard to repair - before buying our ex-demonstrator CX-5 SWD sport, there were a few minor blemishes to touch up. Apparently one required some spraying around 2/3's of passenger side door ..... we now know this to be the case because having owned the car 6 weeks, the base colour has changed and faded in this area and the car now looks very pale and orange in that area. IIRC the original scratch / mark was tiny, so the fact this affect so much of the door suggests the repair company had fun trying to blend in this paint. Car will be going back in soon to have this addressed ... but am worried now ..... is it ever going to be possible to repair so it looks same colour as the rest of the car ?

It is possible but it will require blending into panels that are not damaged. Also, the body shop will have to have a few test panels to find something remotely close to matching the SRM. These are things that most body shops won't care to do. The shops that you want to avoid.

What happened with the OP's paint job? I have the soul red with a 1/2" paint gouge on the right rear passenger door that is down to the metal but did not dent the door itself. I bought a kit to fix it and now I have something that looks worse and the clearcoat around the repair job is off colored from where I tried to sand it. I have given up making it worse and now I am in search of a repair shop but no idea what it will cost. The dealer recommended someone but I haven't been able to reach anyone there and other paint shops I tried won't fix it. Fortunately I have camouflaged the nick for now with some hibiscus flower stickers that look like a "design element" since every time I walked out to my car I got really pissed off. Whoever did this should have had the courtesy to leave a note and number since they must have known what they did since it was pretty deep. My car was 2 weeks old when this happened.

What happened with the OP's paint job? I have the soul red with a 1/2" paint gouge on the right rear passenger door that is down to the metal but did not dent the door itself. I bought a kit to fix it and now I have something that looks worse and the clearcoat around the repair job is off colored from where I tried to sand it. I have given up making it worse and now I am in search of a repair shop but no idea what it will cost. The dealer recommended someone but I haven't been able to reach anyone there and other paint shops I tried won't fix it. Fortunately I have camouflaged the nick for now with some hibiscus flower stickers that look like a "design element" since every time I walked out to my car I got really pissed off. Whoever did this should have had the courtesy to leave a note and number since they must have known what they did since it was pretty deep. My car was 2 weeks old when this happened.
What kind of kit did you buy? I'm going to try using the Dr.Color Chip repair kit either today or tomorrow.

As fixing the paint / rock chips etc on this paint (soul red) is a PITA; I am thinking at this point if I should change the colour preference of the CX 5 as I am replacing my 2013 CWP with a 2015 soul red. I haven't had a single rock chip or blemish on my CWP. But I don't know how will soul red treat me. Time to rethink my decision on this colour choice.

As fixing the paint / rock chips etc on this paint (soul red) is a PITA; I am thinking at this point if I should change the colour preference of the CX 5 as I am replacing my 2013 CWP with a 2015 soul red. I haven't had a single rock chip or blemish on my CWP. But I don't know how will soul red treat me. Time to rethink my decision on this colour choice.

Just got my Soul Red. Love the colour. I would never let something like a tough colour match keep me from making a purchase.

Back