Mazda Soul red paint issues

I have a brand new Mazda CX-5 GT that I am completely in love with except for a repeat problem that scares me. I bought my car with the soul red crystal metallic paint, it’s stunning. After 3 months the paint started chipping. I contacted the dealer and after talking with Mazda they stripped my car and repainted the whole thing. It was beautiful, two months later it’s happened again. I go to the dealer on 08/13. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice they can give?

I would try contacting Mazda Corporate directly, before your dealership visit, citing the dealership that you're working with so they can create a case for you. The dealer may repaint it again, but there is a possibility that they may be spraying the paint incorrectly, which may be the cause of the premature chipping.

Do you have any pictures to show how bad the chipping is and where it happens the most? At this point, if they repaint the car again, I would take it upon myself to have a layer of PPF applied to the problem areas, just to avoid the headache of having to deal with the issue again in the future.

In addition to @sm1ke's comments, I'd take a preemptive step in researching the lemon laws in your jurisdiction, at least to have in your back pocket.. In the US, they vary from state to state, some tougher than others.

If they are going to paint it for a third time, I'd want to know what Mazda will do if the same issues crop up the day it is out of warranty. And take pictures now before anything else is done to it to prove later that it is a recurring problem if it comes down to a lemon law case. You want pics from both backed away for perspective as well as up close.

Last edited by a moderator:
No respray will be better than factory unless you're willing to pay big bucks for proper prep work. That's why you're still experiencing paint issue. Talk to a lemon attorney and aim for a fresh start if I were you

No respray will be better than factory unless you're willing to pay big bucks for proper prep work. That's why you're still experiencing paint issue. Talk to a lemon attorney and aim for a fresh start if I were you.
You raise a fair point. The OP said they "stripped it". Did they strip the whole vehicle to bare metal and re-prime? That would be extremely expensive and require a high quality of workmanship to get it right. They may have just addressed the problem spots and over sprayed as you say. A look into the local lemon law is in order, though I believe failure to fix something after two tries is a common requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back