Soul Red Crystal or Machine Grey

I love both of these colours by my mate who has a paint shop reckons that it is virtually impossible to match them if you are unlucky enough to need a repair. He says he lost money the last time he tried to paint Soul Red and it has been modified again since then.

Good evening.
Can you ask you mate with the paint shop if he sees any advantage in getting just after purchase of the soul red car, a clear coat on top of the factory coat? Will it reduce the amount of chips who get past the dual layer factory/after purchase clear coat and thus preserve this virtually impossible to repair paint job?

From what what I've seen reported here, Soul Crystal Red is prone to chipping and very early in to the ownership. I went with Silver, partially with the Red's chipping issue in mind. Even with the silver I put clear bra on nearly the whole front half of my '17 CX5. No way I'd go for the Red without a clear bra, personally.

Last edited:
From what what I've seen reported here, Soul Crystal Red is prone to chipping and very early in to the ownership. I went with Silver, partially with the Red's chipping issue in mind. Even with the silver I put clear bra on nearly the whole front half of my '17 CX5. No way I'd go for the Red without a clear bra, personally.

Really I'd say that's any Mazda paint. You should see my hood (I have a black CX-5). It's got far too many rock chips heh. (dunno)

I don't think it's just limited to Soul Red Crystal

I will have to say this, for the 2.5 years I owned my 6, only 1 area under the front right headlamp was chipped.

Guess I was lucky

Well there you go. I wouldn't (and didn't) buy a CX-5 without a clear bra if keeping the paint in tact is a priority.
To clarify, my hood has a lot of chips, but I am not a fan of clear bras and how they look, so yes I accepted that my paint would get dinged up.

Figured I can try touching it up.

Latest posts

Back