So listen to THIS!!!!!!

Haha! Ya they should. If u find some carbon and the stuff we use is called 9396 (resin). I believe its EA9396. Pretty sure. U dont HAVE to vacumm it down. I def would though if i was putting it on my 20 some thousand dollar car. U know..

You watch and see that will be the next big thing. An original idea pondered right here on mazda forums.

i'm stealing your idea and creating/marketing/selling a do it yourself carbon kit that comes with Xamount of carbon roll material, xamount of resin, etc... and you can use it to carbonize (is that a word? lol) your side mirrors, front grill, etc etc

maybe even make bulk kits for people who want to carbon their bumpers and shizzle :X

Thanks guys (thumb)

Seriously though, sorry about your grill Snooky, lol.. that sucks, I can't believe he's not refunding you or giving you a new one.

get everyone together document their problems, take pics of it on the car with the screws and pieces still attached after it breaks off

maybe if someone has one, make a video, taping it and going down the highway and filming for it to break off

then tell him you're going to go to the proper uh "forces" or something.... since that is definitely an UNSAFE product.... breaking off like that could hit the person behind them, and travelling at 60 MPH if it hits the right angle it will embed into their windsheild and probably make the driver swerve like crazy out of panic

definitely not safe.....

on the plus side........... thanks for this post snooky. This gives me an idea on just how strong the material would need to be, in order to do an "open grille" for these cars..... Gives me more ideas.

well i want first dibs on that kit and a decent discount. lol. i'd like to see some everyday items made with carbon fiber. Think about it, " Brush your teeth 2.5 strokes per second faster with the new Colgate Genuine Carbon fiber Tooth brush." Ha. Then the fast talking anouncer guy at the end says, "not for use with neons or cavaliers due to potential of boost in confidence"

well i want first dibs on that kit and a decent discount. lol. i'd like to see some everyday items made with carbon fiber. Think about it, " Brush your teeth 2.5 strokes per second faster with the new Colgate Genuine Carbon fiber Tooth brush." Ha. Then the fast talking anouncer guy at the end says, "not for use with neons or cavaliers due to potential of boost in confidence"

If I did something like that I'd probably throw a group buy on here for all my mazda brethren.

I'm actually still in the process of finding someone who will do molds for me, cause I'm trying to go my own way with a front grill design (snooky knows if he remembers).

All Right A Group Buy On Carbon fiber tOOthbrushes!!!!!!. (rlaugh). I'm just kidding. Thats cool.

had one on 95 eclipse, started splitting at the front. Went to buy another one and got a shady fleabayer, had to fight with paypal to get my money back

The one they have thats carbon fiber then painted the color of the car.. Not sure where i saw it, but it was bad ass!

did you secure the bottom part...
the folks thats had this issue in the past secured the bottom piece to keep it in place...
was about to grab one of these.. makes me hesitate to get one.. looks nice on the speed..

Lol.. Im in for the tooth brush! lol. Any body seen the hood for the speed 6? Like or no??

Which one?

I've seen 2 on street unit's website for sale.

One is an OEM design CF and the other one has a scoop built into the hood.

did you secure the bottom part...
the folks thats had this issue in the past secured the bottom piece to keep it in place...
was about to grab one of these.. makes me hesitate to get one.. looks nice on the speed..

yes i followed the instructions, they told me to use "outdoor dbl sided tape" i used 3m car tape made to hold on moldings..... the air got tough at high speeds and the thing just got air born!

i get second dibbs even though I THOUGHT OF IT! lol

If I did something like that I'd probably throw a group buy on here for all my mazda brethren.

I'm actually still in the process of finding someone who will do molds for me, cause I'm trying to go my own way with a front grill design (snooky knows if he remembers).

dont worry bro i never forget good luck let us know how it comes along.

i mad cause these were the guys that were suposed to creat the empty grill for me... now im gonna go to another manufac, if its not strong enough with two bars one will blow off the second i hit 2nd!

dont worry bro i never forget good luck let us know how it comes along.

i mad cause these were the guys that were suposed to creat the empty grill for me... now im gonna go to another manufac, if its not strong enough with two bars one will blow off the second i hit 2nd!

The problem with the s*** they used, was 2 things man

first they told you fiber glass.... then they said "outdoor double sided tape"

LOL, I'm looking to go polyurethane. I'm actually trying to find someone local around me that can do the molds for me so I can actually keep an eye on it, instead of having to send it out of town/state and can't keep an eye on process or have to send it back and forth when it gets messed up.

I wouldn't use fiberglass for something like that, much like I won't use fiberglass for subwoofer enclosures. I use to work at a shop, and making subwoofer enclosures, well I would have "repeat" customers.... because they would have their bass up, and after 3 months to 8 months (depending on how much juice they had running to the subs) they would be cracking their fiberglass... that's why a lot of people just prefer balsa wood, especially since fiberglass gets expensive to replace when it's cracked like that. If fiberglass can't hold up to distorting vibrations of bass, I wouldn't expect a thin flimsy piece made for a front grill to hold up under 100 mph speeds. I've been to 3 shops about doing a subwoofer enclosure for me (cause I don't have time) because I want to remove the back paneling in the trunk and prop my 2 12"s up between the braces, and they each wanted to charge me for fiberglass, and I said only balsa, and they said it was too much work but I know better, it's more expensive to do fiberglass so they just wanna charge me more, and then when it cracks I'm ******.... I'm probably gonna have to build THAT myself too.

the 2nd thing is the double sided tape.... WTF? my GF lost one of her wind/rain reflector things (that plastic thing people put around the window to deflect air and rain) with 3m double sided tape, lol

I was actually thinking that.... if the polyurethane can be made strong enough without getting too expensive, then I'd like to make a little cut out area in the middle of it, so you would have to screw the middle into the open middle area of the bumper (the little dip that has an open exposing when you take the stock grill out)

and then a little small cap that can pop in and fit over that, and looks virtually invisible until you get right up close to it. Then you might notice the little crevice that makes a circle, which would be the small cover that covers the screw.

PM me your email and I'll make some photoshops of what I'm talking about, when I get the time, and you can tell me what you think.

I also have access to one of those portable air blowers, which can mimick wind speeds of 150 (or was it 120?) mph... when turned up.

it looks like this
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306875_200306875
only much bigger, heh.... so I would actually be able to set that in front of the car for about 5 minutes to make sure nothing flies off or breaks, thus testing the durability of it (thumb)

The only problem is how to effective "mass market" and sell such an item without cutting losses and losing money on it (smash)

Last edited:
On topic...or is it now off topic...lol.

I have had two different badgeless grills on my Speed.
The first was from speedline via ebay. They are a reputable company that I had good luck with. It came unpainted in fiberglass and was shipped to my house for @$150. It was cracked in a minor fender bender. The fit was near perfect and I never had a problem.
When I replaced that, I originally ordered the one from supershy/next mod. The guy really dropped the ball on me. To make a long story short I paid him to ship next day and two weeks later i still had not gotten the grill. Got my money back without any problems.
Decided to buy the AE CF one and had it in three days from Corksport. It is a nice pc, but honestly you are really paying for jdm. This thing is worth about $250 max. But add the fact that i didn't have to pay to spray it, i actually broke even. It looks great, very subtle unless you really look. I think it adds a little class to the car.

Another CF option that has become available is from Speedline (the maker of my original). I don't believe it is clear coated, but not sure. The price is pretty reasonable, so anyone thinking of this mod should check out their website. If it had been available, I would have went with that.

Back