Smart City Brake Support

Currently looking at getting a Touring model. Would you say the Tech Package is worth it for this feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its probably more worth or for the LED headlights and taillights, and fog lights. Than add in this feature and without a doubt its worth it. Feel like I'm driving in the dark whenever I drive other vehicles at night because I'm so use to the LEDs and them being so bright

Top Gear was driving a 2013 CX-5 diesel. Clarkson was pulling into a parking space that had bushes in front. It surprised Clarkson (theatrics?) when it stopped suddenly, so he had James May(?) stand in front of it while he rushed into the parking space. It stopped. I hope I never find out if mine works.

I am sure the tech is unreliable as this tech is in its infancy, implemented by people that never did this before. I am sure it suffers from false positives and detection failures. Part of the difficulty is that computer vision is not an easy subject and naive implementations with cheap components will not always correctly identify when to stop and when not to.
While when I bought mine this was not available, I am pretty sure that if I would be buying today, I'd still get it. This would be for the benefit of fender-bender protection more than real safety.

If you want to try it, I'd use cardboard boxes or something that will not cause any damage if the system does not work.

I think this is probably the most useless feature in our CX-5. It makes it sound worthwhile but seems to really only accomplish less of an accident if activated.

Perhaps saves money on repairs is about its only reason.

I've had it activate with a co-worker in the car when we were coming back from lunch. It was stop and go traffic, I was getting ready to brake since the car infront stopped abruptly and it engaged halting me to a stop. It flashed something on the dash and wouldn't let me accelerate for 2-3 seconds.

Currently looking at getting a Touring model. Would you say the Tech Package is worth it for this feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to second jhu8's opinion, the LED lights and fog lights are phenomenal and make driving at night easy. The adaptive headlights are a neat feature and I only really notice it on backroads were there isn't much lighting.

Last edited:
I've never had mine kick in but could go either way on value. At time I bought mine the HIDs were most important part of the tech package.... although I have grown to like the auto-wipers as well.

I've had it activate with a co-worker in the car when we were coming back from lunch. It was stop and go traffic, I was getting ready to brake since the car infront stopped abruptly and it engaged halting me to a stop. It flashed something on the dash and wouldn't let me accelerate for 2-3 seconds.

I thought two-martini lunches were out of style or actually frowned upon these days.

Back