SkyActiv TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins)

Maybe people are nicer in Virgina than they are in NJ

Ha, seems that way. I'm in NJ, and my dealership said there were no TSBs for my car, including that one. Called Mazda and now just waiting. Of course I have 39k miles and will probably have issues as a result, but I can't even get past step one yet.

Maybe people are nicer in Virgina than they are in NJ

I doubt it. My dealer in Northern VA is terrible. I'd sooner try Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington but we are moving out of the area soon and I'll have to find a new one anyway.

Capsfan, which dealer do you go to? Not sure what's closest to you in Burke.

Getting nervous they're not going to perform the TSB on my car. I thought I contacted them months ago (but must have deleted any record of it or imagining it). I'm at 39k miles. What bothers me about it is that I might not be able to get the fix because I drove my car. A problem that they dragged their feet on and I searched for solutions to, but because I'm 3k miles over, I might get stonewalled. Especially when this clearly was an issue from day one. Ugh, hopefully this is painless and they just do the fix to all who complain.

Getting nervous they're not going to perform the TSB on my car. I thought I contacted them months ago (but must have deleted any record of it or imagining it). I'm at 39k miles. What bothers me about it is that I might not be able to get the fix because I drove my car. A problem that they dragged their feet on and I searched for solutions to, but because I'm 3k miles over, I might get stonewalled. Especially when this clearly was an issue from day one. Ugh, hopefully this is painless and they just do the fix to all who complain.

If you have ANY record of complaining about the issue while the car was still under warranty, it's covered under the warranty. (This is the reason you should always complain about issues and get them documented properly on a service order - even if you know ahead of time that they won't be fixed.) The warranty covers issues that occur within the warranty period, and are not limited to only issues that are repaired before the warranty expires.

If you have ANY record of complaining about the issue while the car was still under warranty, it's covered under the warranty. (This is the reason you should always complain about issues and get them documented properly on a service order - even if you know ahead of time that they won't be fixed.) The warranty covers issues that occur within the warranty period, and are not limited to only issues that are repaired before the warranty expires.

Yup, lesson learned. I just hope I didn't learn it the hard way here. It's obviously been a problem from the beginning. I am 75% sure I contacted them within the warranty period, but have no record of it (I have a tendency to clear out my emails and deleted emails all too frequently). I'm hoping they just own it at this point, but have my doubts. Luckily other people have accomplished it out of warranty.

Yup, lesson learned. I just hope I didn't learn it the hard way here. It's obviously been a problem from the beginning. I am 75% sure I contacted them within the warranty period, but have no record of it (I have a tendency to clear out my emails and deleted emails all too frequently). I'm hoping they just own it at this point, but have my doubts. Luckily other people have accomplished it out of warranty.

A little story... I don't know if it'll help you or not (things might have changed in the past 15 years):

I owned a 2000 Mazda MPV (purchased new.) This was back when powertrain warranties were only 3 year. Exactly 2 days after the warranty expired, the transmission failed and needed replacement. The best case cost was going to be around $1500. I called Mazda's customer care and they basically told me that because it was only a couple of days out of warranty, that a dealership could do the repair and make it a warranty repair. Apparently they have (or had?) that discretion so close to the expiration. So, I called the dealership and they told me that IF I purchase their most expensive service package (something like $300+ for fluid changes, etc), that they'd do the tranny replacement under warranty.

I really had no choice, so did it..

The point is that you might be able to get your dealership to do it if you get a lube job or something from them. They are greedy. They really don't win or lose if they replace the BT module, but when you overpay for their lube job, they profit. Make it worth their greediness.

(Oh, and just to complete the above story: When I got the car back, they never even changed my oil, and while they did replace the transmission, they never filled the transmission fluid (or left the plug out?) I made them flatbed the vehicle back and take care of that.)

I doubt it. My dealer in Northern VA is terrible. I'd sooner try Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington but we are moving out of the area soon and I'll have to find a new one anyway.

Capsfan, which dealer do you go to? Not sure what's closest to you in Burke.

Brown's Fairfax Mazda. I actually bought my car at Malloy Mazda in Woodbridge but I've been taking this car and my previous Mazda to Brown's because they've always treated me pretty well. What I liked about getting the module replaced was that they didn't try and make me come in to prove that there was an issue, I just gave the TSB to the technician over the phone and she immediately said they would order it for me. Two days later it was in and the module was replaced in about 20 minutes, no hassles.

Which dealership are you going to that is terrible? Would be nice to know which ones I need to avoid!

A little story... I don't know if it'll help you or not (things might have changed in the past 15 years):

I owned a 2000 Mazda MPV (purchased new.) This was back when powertrain warranties were only 3 year. Exactly 2 days after the warranty expired, the transmission failed and needed replacement. The best case cost was going to be around $1500. I called Mazda's customer care and they basically told me that because it was only a couple of days out of warranty, that a dealership could do the repair and make it a warranty repair. Apparently they have (or had?) that discretion so close to the expiration. So, I called the dealership and they told me that IF I purchase their most expensive service package (something like $300+ for fluid changes, etc), that they'd do the tranny replacement under warranty.

I really had no choice, so did it..

The point is that you might be able to get your dealership to do it if you get a lube job or something from them. They are greedy. They really don't win or lose if they replace the BT module, but when you overpay for their lube job, they profit. Make it worth their greediness.

(Oh, and just to complete the above story: When I got the car back, they never even changed my oil, and while they did replace the transmission, they never filled the transmission fluid (or left the plug out?) I made them flatbed the vehicle back and take care of that.)

Interesting idea, I like it. Thanks! My dealer gives free oil changes, but I certainly didn't get the 30k check up done, so maybe I can do that if I need to.

Brown's Fairfax Mazda. I actually bought my car at Malloy Mazda in Woodbridge but I've been taking this car and my previous Mazda to Brown's because they've always treated me pretty well. What I liked about getting the module replaced was that they didn't try and make me come in to prove that there was an issue, I just gave the TSB to the technician over the phone and she immediately said they would order it for me. Two days later it was in and the module was replaced in about 20 minutes, no hassles.

Which dealership are you going to that is terrible? Would be nice to know which ones I need to avoid!

Brown's Alexandria Mazda. It's the one closest to my house and they gave me the best price when I called most all area dealers to buy the car back in August last year. But, will definitely NEVER go to them for service.

I bet both Brown's are owned by the same owners but managed by different management. At least the service manager at Brown's Alexandria is terrible.

Called Mazda again today. Told no TSB for my car. But I gave them the exact TSB number and I was told someone else would be calling me back today. Not sure why I am getting the run-around so much. Clearly says 2013-2015 CX-5's. I have a 2014 CX-5. I'm more than a little bewildered! I'll see what they have to say when/if they call back this afternoon.

Called Mazda again today. Told no TSB for my car. But I gave them the exact TSB number and I was told someone else would be calling me back today. Not sure why I am getting the run-around so much. Clearly says 2013-2015 CX-5's. I have a 2014 CX-5. I'm more than a little bewildered! I'll see what they have to say when/if they call back this afternoon.

Mike, this is what i've did to get the dealership up on their @$$es and order the part for me. At first, the dealership is insisting there's nothing wrong with the car according to their records by just pulling the vin. I knew we are going in circle so i hang up the phone, call mazda support, get a reference number (ticket number), call mazda usa, they will also issue you a ticket number (case number). Mazda USA will ask you which dealership and who assited you. If you have all the info you need, go to your dealership and mention all the numbers you have at hand. Now you've got a case.

Mike, this is what i've did to get the dealership up on their @$$es and order the part for me. At first, the dealership is insisting there's nothing wrong with the car according to their records by just pulling the vin. I knew we are going in circle so i hang up the phone, call mazda support, get a reference number (ticket number), call mazda usa, they will also issue you a ticket number (case number). Mazda USA will ask you which dealership and who assited you. If you have all the info you need, go to your dealership and mention all the numbers you have at hand. Now you've got a case.

Thanks shoegazer. My problem is that my car is now technically 4k miles out of warranty. I first reached out to them a month ago wondering when the fix was coming out. I should have done it much sooner, as we all know this has been an issue since the day we got the cars. Lesson learned there.

I got that response from the dealer the first time, so I figured I needed to go to corporate. I do have the reference number, but the problem is, even corporate has given me the runaround. At this point, I'm now waiting on this one guy to get back to me from corporate (since the last girl was transferred departments without reaching back out), and I need to get it confirmed that they will get it covered as under warranty before I go in. I was told I was going to get a call back that afternoon (a few days ago), so I didn't of course. Then I called and was told I'd hear back in a day or two. Today is day two. So I may call later this afternoon.

To the OP, thanks a million for posting the complete list. I just purchased a 2013 CX-5 last month and my warranty expires 04/24/2015. Luckily, after going through the entire list, I found 3 TSB's that needed to be addressed. Duval Mazda has already fixed the passenger seat coming off the frame for me and the parts are on order to fix my driver side view mirror shake. I also need to have them fix the rear plactic piece coming off. Once that's all done, I think I'll sleep better, lol.

Update on TSB 09-008/15. I was told they had an internal meeting about what to do with the out of warranty cars, and decided that they're going to honor doing the TSB for those cars. So I'm dropping my car off this weekend for diagnosis and hopefully the fix, and we'll be good to go! Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Update on TSB 09-008/15. I was told they had an internal meeting about what to do with the out of warranty cars, and decided that they're going to honor doing the TSB for those cars. So I'm dropping my car off this weekend for diagnosis and hopefully the fix, and we'll be good to go! Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Glad to hear that they will be doing that TSB for cars that are out of warranty. Makes sense since this is an issue that was present from day 1. Good luck!

I had my module replaced last week. For the iphone I had to go into the Bluetooth settings and turn on 'Show Notifications' to receive messages. I can now receive messages (iphone 5s running IOS 8.2), however I can not reply to them. The Bluetooth hotline folks said that Apple will not allow that function so my only options are to receive them or call back the originator from the messages screen. The interface makes you tap on the screen multiple times to get to the point that you can read it (can only read if your car is not moving) or have it read to you. I don't find this very useful since it is too distracting to use while driving.

Hi. I heard from a Mazda dealer that due to the failure of previous TSBs to completely eliminate the mirror vibration, Mazda is seriously thinking to issue a new TSB to replace the whole mirror with the new model mirror. I just hope that this will happen before my 3 years warranty ends, i.e. November this year.

Hi. I heard from a Mazda dealer that due to the failure of previous TSBs to completely eliminate the mirror vibration, Mazda is seriously thinking to issue a new TSB to replace the whole mirror with the new model mirror. I just hope that this will happen before my 3 years warranty ends, i.e. November this year.

I need for this to happen...this is my one major issue with this car...

Latest posts

Back