Skyactiv Automatic Transaxle...

Jamis

:
2003 Protege5, silver
It would seem from reading the Owner's Manual, that the Skyactiv automatic is a sealed for life unit. The only maintenance instructions for it is to add ATF if the level on the dipstick falls below the range on the stick. That's OK I guess as there are other automatics that are sealed for life also. Does anyone know what Mazda Genuine ATF FZ is equitable to? Is it a synthetic? I guessing it is since the unit appears to be sealed.

Seems like I'm answering my own questions here. I have learned from other forums that the Skyactiv transaxle is supposed to be maintenance free. It is supposed to be checked by a dealer service tech. at 100K miles to see if the fluid is OK. I am assuming that they do that by color and maybe smell. If they determine the fluid is contaminated, they will do a flush and refill. The Mazda Genuine ATF FZ is a unique blue in color and the service departments are instructed to notify corporate if they find a Skyactiv transmission with ATF that isn't blue. Therefore, I guess the answer is the ATF FZ is proprietary and you don't need an equivalent product until you are out of the warranty period.

Back