Seeking 2012 Mazda3i Purchase advice (P0841)

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Hi all,
Protege5 owner here. I'm keeping the P5, but looking for a car for a family member.

Currently looking at a 2012 Mazda 3i Touring with the 2.0L engine and auto transmission, non-Skyactiv. 137k miles, 3 owner, has receipts for regular fluid changes from the current owner over the last 6 or so years of ownership.

I'm seeing a couple of small things wrong:
  • P0841 transmission range sensor A out of range, no CEL, scanner says it's inactive. Transmission shifts fine. Did not check fluid level.
  • Leaking valve cover gasket
  • Leaking power steering rack boots
  • Water in the trunk (no rust, seems fresh, no signs of collision or damage to the seal that would cause a leak so source is unknown)
I'm not too concerned with water in the trunk or the valve cover gasket. But the power steering leak and transmission code have me more concerned.

We're a little off on price, but the car was just posted and I think with those issues, it won't sell for their asking price so there will probably be some negotiating room there given a bit of time for it to sit on the market.

Owner is a lady I know through an acquaintance so I believe I have decent reason to trust them and they match the temperament of someone i'd like to buy a car from (i.e. they don't beat on the car and have taken care of it), so from that aspect I like the car. I mentioned the issues and they didn't want to go down on price but did make note of the issues I mentioned.

What do you guys think?

Edit: car was sold, this can be deleted

Last edited:
Back