Simple mods/upgrades

what does that do?

TB coolant bypass. you bypass the coolant that runs thru the throttle body. The coolant heats up the TB. by bypassing it, the air that passes thru the TB is not as hot. cooler air equal more power. Well thats the theory behind this mod.

IMO, i did this mod when i had the car, and it didn't do jack. But every cheap to do

I didn't know that exhasut system will fill on my 1.6L.. it was around 150 on ebay. And i didn't say no noise on my car.. just not too loud to get pull over. btw jster.. how many hp can i get with that exhaust system??

That exhaust looks like the Hayame. It's the one I put in my car. You'll be suprised what will fit on our 1.6. The pulley's from the 1.6 Miata will fit. Just saw some Willwoods on a Miata that a mechanic told me will fit. Haven't verfied that yet but I"m looking into it.

I didn't know that exhasut system will fill on my 1.6L.. it was around 150 on ebay. And i didn't say no noise on my car.. just not too loud to get pull over. btw jster.. how many hp can i get with that exhaust system??

may 5-10hp, but i'd think likely on the low side. The lightweight flywheel i put in my car was an AASCO aluminum one for a 1.6L miata, it was really light compared to the stock. I put more power to the ground. cost like 320, with me installing myself. Think that was the best money i sent on the car beside suspension parts. The other stuff is a waste.

AzteCypher said:
That exhaust looks like the Hayame. It's the one I put in my car. You'll be suprised what will fit on our 1.6. The pulley's from the 1.6 Miata will fit. Just saw some Willwoods on a Miata that a mechanic told me will fit. Haven't verfied that yet but I"m looking into it.

The bottom end for a 1.6 miata is pretty much the same as the bottom end in the 1.6 protege. The lightweight pulley would definity give you some more power.

Got it.. pulleys and exhaust... prolly i may sell my protege

Too much money to spend still for a few horses?? (uhm)

But maybe not..idk yet

Cuz money for a turbo i'm not gonna waste.. btw i don't have it

i/e/s and pulleys and something else will cost like 1000 maybe??

1000 for 30 horses total?? kinda missed up

We're forgetting porting and polishing. Kind of expensive, but it increases your volumetric efficiency. Your 1.6L motor isn't putting 1.6L of air through. A port and polish job will get you closer to that number.

Also, look into custom cam profiles. They're not ridiculously expensive, and can really improve the power of the engine.

The thing about a 1.6 is that forced induction is the way to go. The other ideas we've been talking about only add a little bit at a time until you go turbo. Then it all really adds up. If you want just basic mods with some good returns you're better off with the 1.8 or 2.0. The one thing proteges have in common is good to handling. Great handling with the Mazdaspeed package even better if you go aftermarket with coilovers and such.

yup FI is the way to go on the 1.6L. It can handle up to about 30lbs of boost on stock internals.

and AzteCypher is right. The protege are not the fastest cars, but the handling is amazing, great autoX car, espeically if you upgrade. I could beat faster cars in turns, but got my ass handed to me in the straights.

This a crazy idea, but do a MSP engine swap(rofl2). I almost did this, a few years ago. I had access to a front clip of a wrecked MSP for dirt cheap. But i didnt have the time to reseach and carry out the plan, so i sold my car.

you gotta think about it this way. HP isn't cheap. HP = money. If you want cheap bolt ons, with good gains, buy yourself a Honda.

yup FI is the way to go on the 1.6L. It can handle up to about 30lbs of boost on stock internals.

and AzteCypher is right. The protege are not the fastest cars, but the handling is amazing, great autoX car, espeically if you upgrade. I could beat faster cars in turns, but got my ass handed to me in the straights.

This a crazy idea, but do a MSP engine swap(rofl2). I almost did this, a few years ago. I had access to a front clip of a wrecked MSP for dirt cheap. But i didnt have the time to reseach and carry out the plan, so i sold my car.

you gotta think about it this way. HP isn't cheap. HP = money. If you want cheap bolt ons, with good gains, buy yourself a Honda.

Everyone has a honda here.. civics, accords, bla bla bla

The only one i like is the prelude 94-97

But who knows. i maybe get another car

But first i need to sell the protege

yup. the manual tranny can only handle like 200hp, so that need to be upgraded. The auto tranny suck on boost weaker then the manual.

lilchild, you mean the prelude 92-96. a 97 is a start of a different generation of prelude that have the h22 motor. before that some had h22 but mostly h23 non vtec. the ludes are slow as hell, the car weight a bunch. I only like the motor. I only got my civic cuz i got a really good deal on it and its for commuting and more equipped. If i want to go fast that what the motorcycle is for.(headbang) The protege is different, i got plenty of compliment for it, even from the honda crowd.

What do expect you live near the LA area. If you go to www.moccforums.com (mazda owners club of california) there are bunch of protege and p5 overs in so cal, mostly 1.8L or 2.0. what are you looking to get?

yup. the manual tranny can only handle like 200hp, so that need to be upgraded. The auto tranny suck on boost weaker then the manual.

lilchild, you mean the prelude 92-96. a 97 is a start of a different generation of prelude that have the h22 motor. before that some had h22 but mostly h23 non vtec. the ludes are slow as hell, the car weight a bunch. I only like the motor. I only got my civic cuz i got a really good deal on it and its for commuting and more equipped. If i want to go fast that what the motorcycle is for.(headbang) The protege is different, i got plenty of compliment for it, even from the honda crowd.

What do expect you live near the LA area. If you go to www.moccforums.com (mazda owners club of california) there are bunch of protege and p5 overs in so cal, mostly 1.8L or 2.0. what are you looking to get?

I'm looking to get something that not all the people have.. don't get offended cuz what i said about civics tho,i really like them but the cops will tend more to stop a civic with a exhaust than a protege, you know what i mean. (rockon)

The prelude 92-96 have 3 trims/ S 2.2 with 135hp, Si 2.3 with 160hp, Vtec 2.2 190hp. The S is pretty much like my old 92 LX accord.. good take off but starts to slowing on 4th.

I want something fast.. 4 cyl w/turbo or without but high output.. also a V6, just like a 300zx, 3000GT, MX6, Probe GT, bla bla bla (blah)

Not sure which one will come up first tho.. i will see but i'll let you know when i sell my protege

ok guys seriously, the boost levels mentioned are obtainable, but would be very unreliable. also not to mention would need an almost perfect tune and prob. have to run high octane race gas.

for mods to the 1.6L there arent many, and baiscally you can do it to enjoy the experince, the gains are minimal. For exhuast just stick with stock, ive had a custom 2.25" piping, with Ractive canister, and honestly it took away torque, and it might have gave me 1hp at most, the sound got annoying fast. I switched back to a stock exhaust, its quiet, and gives it a little more pep when driving around in town. The biggest mod you could do would be a Cold Air Intake or Short Ram Intake, the CAI will give you issues as well as most SRI, you will get mid range rpm hesitation(2500-3500) then you will get the power back, this is due to the oversized piping usually used for the intakes, find a way to make a smaller pipe for the intake thats close to stock and your golden. But besides the power gain from the intake you get an awesome sound, that will just make the car more enjoyable.

The protege's highlight is handling, just by slapping on Eibach Springs(or other performance springs) your car will look nice, and will be ALOT more fun to drive. Those people you might want to race, well challenge them to a curvey course to race, rather then straight line.

Finally, just live with the fact you have the lowest model of the protege. It was ment for everyday driving, to be comfortable, and GREAT on gas. Rather then go for all out power make the car come to your style, upgrade the stereo, dynomat the interior(better sound from the stereo, and also cancles out road noise), tint the windows, change some interior light bulbs, thrpw some wheels on the car with a nice set of tires, the list goes on, everyone on here with the 1.6L gets stuck on just going for all out power. Just make it YOUR OWN car, enjoy it and enjoy the money its saving you. And face it its not a race car, never will be(in most cases).

Ok, im done, i just finished reading this thread before this post and had to summarixze all my thoughts on it into one post.

ok guys seriously, the boost levels mentioned are obtainable, but would be very unreliable. also not to mention would need an almost perfect tune and prob. have to run high octane race gas.

for mods to the 1.6L there arent many, and baiscally you can do it to enjoy the experince, the gains are minimal. For exhuast just stick with stock, ive had a custom 2.25" piping, with Ractive canister, and honestly it took away torque, and it might have gave me 1hp at most, the sound got annoying fast. I switched back to a stock exhaust, its quiet, and gives it a little more pep when driving around in town. The biggest mod you could do would be a Cold Air Intake or Short Ram Intake, the CAI will give you issues as well as most SRI, you will get mid range rpm hesitation(2500-3500) then you will get the power back, this is due to the oversized piping usually used for the intakes, find a way to make a smaller pipe for the intake thats close to stock and your golden. But besides the power gain from the intake you get an awesome sound, that will just make the car more enjoyable.

The protege's highlight is handling, just by slapping on Eibach Springs(or other performance springs) your car will look nice, and will be ALOT more fun to drive. Those people you might want to race, well challenge them to a curvey course to race, rather then straight line.

Finally, just live with the fact you have the lowest model of the protege. It was ment for everyday driving, to be comfortable, and GREAT on gas. Rather then go for all out power make the car come to your style, upgrade the stereo, dynomat the interior(better sound from the stereo, and also cancles out road noise), tint the windows, change some interior light bulbs, thrpw some wheels on the car with a nice set of tires, the list goes on, everyone on here with the 1.6L gets stuck on just going for all out power. Just make it YOUR OWN car, enjoy it and enjoy the money its saving you. And face it its not a race car, never will be(in most cases).

Ok, im done, i just finished reading this thread before this post and had to summarixze all my thoughts on it into one post.

Well you are right but the thing is that i won't race on a curve road, i just like straight take offs.. thats way i'm gonna sell the protege, doesn't matter how much money i put on it, it will never be fast.

great post Iuke, these boards tend to focus on the tuning and power areas of teh car world, but there's something to be said for cars that look nice and run efficiently. If you're concerned about money and looking to go faster, you've gotta think about different cars. But everyone's already descibed the reasons for that...

Back