Simple mods/upgrades

people say the header is worth it

they are cheap. frees it up some since it elimates the first cat. It was alright when i had a set on my car. Would be more worth it if there was work done to the head. pain the ass though, since i live in cali, i had to change them out everytime for emmisson testing.

lilchild87 said:
changing a high flow cat will increase hp but will sound louder???

I was using a high flow cat from a honda civic, that i welded on. It doesn't make it louder, it actually gives it a nice deeper tone to the exhaust and i've ran several setup with it ranging from no muffler to n1 fireball exhaust.

i have a sebring exhaust and it already sounds low deep.. will give me any gain with the high flow catalytic?

some gain, probably like a few hp like 1 or 3 hp. Not really noticable. the only reason i got a high flo for the car was because i had my car drop like 3 to 4 inches on coilover and damaged my stock cat. I had a sebring exhaust before; a universal one, it was ok, didnt like it so i hacked it off and welded on a stock wrx exhaust, stock looking with high exhaust flow

Last edited:
not that expensive like 180 shipped for the OBX on and i dont recall what the price for the thunder headers, but somewhere around 200-250. IMO i was a waste when i bought them. That money can have be spent elsewhere. That's why save ur money and go turbo, 1.6L loves turbo :), well that is you have a manual tranny.

hey jster28 any low noise cat-back on a good price for the 1.6 99' ?? btw besides exhaust,intake.. what else can you put on the 1.6 for more hp.. w/o mentioning the turbo

hey jster28 any low noise cat-back on a good price for the 1.6 99' ?? btw besides exhaust,intake.. what else can you put on the 1.6 for more hp.. w/o mentioning the turbo

dude. why are you so obsessed over having alow noise car....

this has been explained to you dozens of times.

ugh, where is it 180 shipped?

Lowest price i found was 197 shipped on Ebay for the 1.6l OBX . But when, i bought my obx, i got it for 180 shipped from ebay, but since seller was 30mins away, i got it for 145 with pickup.

lilchild87 said:

If you want a cat-back, just take it to a muffler shop, a small local place, not midas or places like midas. and have them custom bend you a cat-back with 2.25 piping with what ever exhaust tip you want and high flo. That the cheapest. Shouldn't be more then 150, if you already have the tip and cat.

for more hp, not much in terms of bolt ons. Is your car auto or manual? If you have a manual, you could upgrade to a light weight flywheel from a 1.6L miata. It is lighter than the stock unit to provide quicker acceleration and engine revs for better engine response. I did this and it was awesome. other then that not much. There is always N2O.

Last edited:
dude. why are you so obsessed over having alow noise car....

this has been explained to you dozens of times.

his is tripping about cops, and getting a noise pollution ticket.

lilchild87
The legal limit in cali is 95db. Most cop don't even care in cali, as long as your not acting stop like rev you motor. I've ran a straight pipe on my protege and passed tons of cop, and never been pulled over for my exhaust. Not even on my motorcycle with no muffler, pretty much open headers.

if you really want a nice free flowing exhaust that is not much louder then stock and with a stock look. get custom piping from a exhaust shop with a stock muffler from a car that has more power (ie, wrx, Rsx type s, etc). like i said before i had the stock wrx muffler with custom piping, was not loud and free flowing. I felt no difference between my fireball exhaust and the wrx muffler, except noise.

Or get a axle back from a mazda speed protege.

Pulleys, intake, exhaust, you want low db get a racing beat exhaust from the Mazdaspeed. Improve suspension by using the racing beat setup from the Mazdaspeed as well and the car will be a bit more enjoyable to drive. Keep up with the maintenance, ie. oil, spark, etc and maybe get a voltage system and that'll pep up your ride a bit.

lilchild87
The legal limit in cali is 95db. Most cop don't even care in cali, as long as your not acting stop like rev you motor. I've ran a straight pipe on my protege and passed tons of cop, and never been pulled over for my exhaust. Not even on my motorcycle with no muffler, pretty much open headers.

if you really want a nice free flowing exhaust that is not much louder then stock and with a stock look. get custom piping from a exhaust shop with a stock muffler from a car that has more power (ie, wrx, Rsx type s, etc). like i said before i had the stock wrx muffler with custom piping, was not loud and free flowing. I felt no difference between my fireball exhaust and the wrx muffler, except noise.

Yeah thats why i been wondering to sell the protege and get a faster car.. or better engine, and about the muffler shop the guy told me that he could put me a smaller resonator for better flowing and change my cat for a high flow cat.

Thx for the help!

btw if we talk about aftermarket cat-back and not custom.. most of them don't fit on the 1.6.. just a few :(

I really like this one down here but hell wont fit on the 1.6 cuz of the bolt on thing for the header.. this one here is like a triangle.. the stock one has only two bolts

Attachments

• CBE-HYM-PRTG-MP3-01_01.jpg
    CBE-HYM-PRTG-MP3-01_01.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 98
btw if we talk about aftermarket cat-back and not custom.. most of them don't fit on the 1.6.. just a few :(

I really like this one down here but hell wont fit on the 1.6 cuz of the bolt on thing for the header.. this one here is like a triangle.. the stock one has only two bolts

Its triangular cuz it supposed to bolt to the back of the cat that has a three bolt flange. Hence the name cat back. the only one i know were it bolt straight on to the header is the corksport exhaust system, that elimates the cat. On the 1.6 the stock cat is welded on the midpipe. just get a high flo cat off ebay and have the muffler guy install it with the exhuast. Those guys can make anything fit.

lilchild87

yes, ive explained to him the whats legal and whats not legal. everyone gave him his exhaust options in several other threads. people have repeatedly explain cat backs. and axle backs.

he wants hi flow... but no noise. its other one of them. or neither. you cant have serious gains, and not have the noise that comes with it. either way, the car isnt THAT loud. hell you can buy a shelby mustang, that off the lot is 10x louder.

Well if you go with a higher flow fuel pump it'll help. I put on a walbro 225lph punp in mine and got a decent boost, especially up past 5k rpm

Back