short throws?

try regreasing the shifter. you probably didn't use enough on the ball where it pivots.

lazymfg said:
I have the B&M, but lately i have found it hard to shift into or out of gears? what would be my problem? but when its not acting up, its a great shifter. also what does the bushings do? thanks

is it because of cold weather? its difficult to shift when its cold, it needs to warm up to be ok

thx for the help guys, yea the dealer regreased it for me. since it looks so much like stock they did all the work under warranty. as with the cold, i think that might be part of the issue too. would changing the transmission oil help?? thx

you have to flush out the existing oil first. look up tranny oil and some threads about how to change it should come up. I did this last month, went with royal purple and love it, and it was pretty easy. but if you asked a question like that(not making fun) maybe you should get someone to do it for you.

yea i admit i m no good with mechanics and stuff, i just know how to drive hahha.
its just that some friends told me they just topped it off with new oil without flushing and some do the extra work, so i just wanted to be clear. thx though

I just installed my TWM shifter and Kartboy bushings last weekend, the verdict...

I am not sure I like it honestly, the throws are super short (more so than the B&M I had in my Accord) but it's hard as hell sometimes to get it in gear. There isn't much benefit to a shorter throw if it's difficult to get into gear! I greased the ball joint really good, but it just feels like I have to force it way too often.
I am hoping that it will be a bit smoother when it warms up here, but I also read recently here that changing the tranny fluid can help a lot... might have to try that.

our tranny hold 2.9 quarts, so get 3 1qt. bottles. If you do this yourself make sure to get a pump for when you fill the tranny because it is a pain in the ass to fill it without one. It isn't impossible because my stupid ass did it without a pump but it took me like 2 hours to complete the job. It's a tight space to angle the bottle.

Wes said:
I just installed my TWM shifter and Kartboy bushings last weekend, the verdict...

I am not sure I like it honestly, the throws are super short (more so than the B&M I had in my Accord) but it's hard as hell sometimes to get it in gear. There isn't much benefit to a shorter throw if it's difficult to get into gear! I greased the ball joint really good, but it just feels like I have to force it way too often.
I am hoping that it will be a bit smoother when it warms up here, but I also read recently here that changing the tranny fluid can help a lot... might have to try that.

i just had my b&m shifter installed. i have the same problem , its tight and its hard to shift...im hoping i just have to work it in and with time it will loosen up
just like you said there isnt much benefit if its hard to shift...

There are OBX shifters available on EBay now. I got one, installed it last weekend. Visually, its the same as the B&M unit, but for half the cost.

Laser03pro said:
Wes my kartboy is the same way do you have the twm with the bearing? "2nd Gen"

Yeah bro, I got the 2nd Gen.

And let me say that either Topher is correct in saying that they break in, or I am getting used to the notchy-ness. Not sure what it is yet, but the shifter definately feels more fluid than it did last week.

I'm still gonna do the Tranny fluid change, just to complete the whole system.
2nd Gen TWM shifter
Kartboy Bushings
New tranny fluid

I did the tranny fluid alrdy i dont like how short it is tho im reachin down for it and i can hardly lean back.

jjac28 said:
i just had my b&m shifter installed. i have the same problem , its tight and its hard to shift...im hoping i just have to work it in and with time it will loosen up
just like you said there isnt much benefit if its hard to shift...
they will loosen a LITTLE, its just physics, the lever is shorter and fulcrum is closer to the center, it will take more effort to shifter, but the shifting is crisper and quicker. if you go back to stock, it seriously feels like driving a bus.

i thought so... a little looser is good. apart from that, the shifter is excellent.
fels much better than the stock.

btw if you install the kartboy bushings I think you will find that the shifter will have more vibration. The materials used by mazda tend to absorb a lot of vibration where as the kartboy bushings do not. Just my 2 cents after looking into the 2 products. I ordered my twm from a guy in toronto Element Auto good guys so far, anyway I am going to stay with the stock bushings and see how that goes.

Back