short throws?

seth

so what short throw shifter is better for the p5 cartboy, b&m ? I am guessing the new bushings from thoes companies help a lot too. I need to order one soon for when the car comes out of storage :)

If you do a search, I'm sure you can find this topic answered tons of times.

Real quick though, I have the Kartboy SS/Bushings, and love em.

b&m is 35% less throw, kartboy is 20%, but i don't really think theres a difference between shortshifters, i'd go with kartboy (the cheaper of the two) and bushings

kartboys site says this
<!--StartFragment --> t[font=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]he throw is reduced 35% for the Protege5[/font]

I went with the kartboy b/c I didn't like the big-rig look of the stock lever and the kartboy is lower than the others...

kbss1.jpg

I'm quite fond of the B&M. Doesn't have just new bushings it replaces the entire unit with a smooth cnc'd setup with a permalubed broze pivot. VERY super smooth. And it doesn't drop your shifter ghetto-low, just reduces throw. Lowered shifters=farther from the steeringwheel=slower to get to. Hence the reason why the new civic SI's have dash-mounted shifters. check protege5online.com They support the forum, and they're running a special right now as well I believe.

edit: The B&M WILL lower your overall height down to MSP/MP3 height which is about 2" lower than stock.

Last edited:
I took off the extension on the stock shifter to make it the same height as the MP3/MSP. The throw isn't much less than stock, the feel is great, and it was free. The only cost was the MSP Sparco knob I bought for it.

Poseur said:
And it doesn't drop your shifter ghetto-low, just reduces throw. Lowered shifters=farther from the steeringwheel=slower to get to.
Ghetto-low??? To me it's perfect height, I have NO problems reaching it whatsoever. I'm glad you're happy with yours but I think it's ghetto-high (hah)

Does anybody know how low the Kartboy lowers the shift knob on the p5s? I've been debating B&M or Kartboy for a few weeks...

Kartboy is so much cheaper ($108 shipped for bearings and the stick), and B&M is having a sale that's $108ish shipped but no bearings...what to do what to do...

I have the Kartboy with the bushings.

The biggest compliment I got was when this mechanic said "I like your shifter, it feels just like my Miata's" :D

i have the b&m with kartboy bushings in my mp3...and i have the twm and kartboy bushings for my p5 (not installed). i love the b&m...and the bushings make things nice and precise (i'm a poet).

Topher said:
i have the b&m with kartboy bushings in my mp3...and i have the twm and kartboy bushings for my p5 (not installed). i love the b&m...and the bushings make things nice and precise (i'm a poet).
And you knew it... (lol2) (stooges) (blarf) sorry that was bad..

I have the TWM and kartboy bushings. I beleive the TWM has the shortest throw. I love it. But most reliable and best reputation would have to go to B&M.

Back